• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

MMA taking over

so how bout MMA/UFC being in Sports Illustrated. this sport is really taking over and boxing seems to be dieing out. i feel the MMA world is well represented in this reputable magazine. anyone else feel the same about MMA taking over boxing? or any other though on the subject of MMA or UFC?
    ________
    MARIJUANA CARD
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:26 AM.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Personally, I'd hate to see boxing die out or be overtaken by mma because I prefer stand-up fighting over what seems to degrade into a wrestling match more often than not. Although I will admit that boxing is losing a lot of ground to mma and if something doesn't happen pretty soon, it's going to die or go into the background altogether. Most of what is killing off boxing is due to PPV and promoter's greed IMO.

I like the traditions and heritage of boxing. I'm afraid that mma may end up going the way of professional wrestling or at least many people may have that perception. I may be wrong, but that's my opinion.

If the sport is managed right, I think the misconceptions can be avoided, but I can also see greedy managers and promoters getting out of hand.

Call me old fashioned perhaps. I will admit to watching only a few televised mma matches, but from what I've seen, there's not enough stand-up fighting to keep my interest.

I do admire the mma athletes and I am in no way comparing them to professional wrestlers, I'm saying the crowd that is attracted to pro-wrestling could end up being the same if they don't watch how they promote and manage the sport, unless of course that is what they want. If that's the case, I will never become a fan.

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
      Personally, I'd hate to see boxing die out or be overtaken by mma because I prefer stand-up fighting over what seems to degrade into a wrestling match more often than not. Although I will admit that boxing is losing a lot of ground to mma and if something doesn't happen pretty soon, it's going to die or go into the background altogether. Most of what is killing off boxing is due to PPV and promoter's greed IMO.

I like the traditions and heritage of boxing. I'm afraid that mma may end up going the way of professional wrestling or at least many people may have that perception. I may be wrong, but that's my opinion.

If the sport is managed right, I think the misconceptions can be avoided, but I can also see greedy managers and promoters getting out of hand.

Call me old fashioned perhaps. I will admit to watching only a few televised mma matches, but from what I've seen, there's not enough stand-up fighting to keep my interest.

I do admire the mma athletes and I am in no way comparing them to professional wrestlers, I'm saying the crowd that is attracted to pro-wrestling could end up being the same if they don't watch how they promote and manage the sport, unless of course that is what they want. If that's the case, I will never become a fan.
      i understand what you saying. i also enjoy boxing very much but i also like the all round game where people have to worry about getting punched taken down or submitted. all in all some asks me what do i like more boxing or MMA i wud say "i have absolutly no idea there both great".
      ________
      Vaporizer wiki

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
        • May 2007

I love boxing however... I see a changing of the guard(no pun intended).
        I've followed MMA since it's inception in 1993 and can still recall the confusion in the room as we watched 5'10 177 lb Royce Gracie tear through a field of much heavier foes. He proved that technique and tenacity would over come power and bulk. Fast forward five years and the once graceful technique oriented displays of Jiu Jitsu are now replaced with less than sportsman displays of violence and brutes(ie tank, kimo, severn etc.). Without rules (sans headbutts, groin strikes, eye gouges) the sport quickly gained infamy amongst mainstream America. Around this time Senator and long time boxing advocate John McCain started campaigning to stop this brutal sport. For the next few years the UFC would go underground. Playing in small venues to a crowd of mostly die hard fans, the UFC was on the ropes. That's when the millionaire Fertitta bros. came to the rescue. They bought ou the fledgling UFC brand and regulated weight classes, implemented safer rules and guidelines, and introduced the 4oz.MMA gloves. They also put in the 5 minute round and an understanding that a fight would be stopped after a fighter could not intelligently defend himself, instead of standing eight counts after a knockdown and continuing risking brain damage.
        Mainstream MMA has not yet seen a death or serious injury in its existance. Compare that to boxing and it shows how safe MMA has become. Now the Zuffa brand has bought out Pride from Japan, the premiere MMA event, and already we're reaping the rewards. Boxing will never die, It's the sweet science! It will take a back seat to this chess game called MMA until the hype wears off of the WWE segment of the viewers, like Chris said

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I love MMA. The excitement level is 10x that in boxing (IMO). It's true that a lot of the matches turn into wrestling, but there are tons of knockouts, due to the use of kicks, knees, and fists (with tiny 4 oz gloves). Plus the energy level is so much higher in three 5 minute rounds as opposed to twelve 3 minute rounds. I enjoy seeing the submissions as well.

Another factor is the surpirse of it all... the fights can change in an instant, and some of them end in the first 20 seconds.

I've never bought a boxing PPV, but I quite frequently get the UFC matches.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
            I like the traditions and heritage of boxing
            Absolutely, and by the masses, I think Boxing is more revered in the US than the martial arts, which is still misunderstood by non-martial artists. Even though the mystic of the Black Belt still lives, most americans are still more familiar with boxing and that the "heavyweight champ" is one of the great titles in sports. It's been with us since the early 1800's.

And look at the movie history. How many great boxing movies have their been? Lots of them. Their have been a few great Martial Arts movies, but most end up being pretty hokey. Great fun to watch, but not very realistic.

Both sports have their place, along with Pro Wrestling, and each has their fans and their draw, but Boxing skill is a basic necessity in UFC and MMA. Every fight I've seen they talk about the mans ability to box, but in every boxing match they never mention their ability to kick or grapple. The popularity of the Contender series was just as big as the MMA reality shows, and I believe that there is manly mystic to the fighter lifestyle that appeals to us all. Most of us secretly wish we could be the champ in any of the combat sports. Few of us actually make it into the competitive squared circle.

But I'm not sure that most families are ready to adopt MMA and UFC due to the raw, in your face violence of it. The Blood and brutality of a guy in the top mount elbowing the lower mans head, the teeth flying out and - did I mention blood? the knees to the face etc. I can't see most mom's hoping their kids watch it, and hope they grow up to be king of the octogon. But I could be wrong. Hollywood might start cranking out dramatic saga's of a struggling kid who finds his way to a back alley MMA club and becomes the champ.

The article about MMA in Sports Illustrated marks either the sporting worlds acceptance of it or the magazine pandering to it's current popularity. I wouldn't use that as a measurement of it's overall success.

....and boxing movies usually feature the speed bag. I like that.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              ....and boxing movies usually feature the speed bag. I like that.
              who doesn't???
              ________
              Nexium class action lawsuit

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Big_Nesticles View Post
                who doesn't???
                Speedbag's rights activist. I gotta say speedbag you are dead on about boxing and it's grasp on the male ego, and although I'm partial to boxing as well I respect the overall efficiency of Jiu Jitsu and other grappling arts. If you go back to the beggining of combat sports you will find pankration in the early Greek Olympics(where's pegasos when I need his input). This was a rule less style of fighting that was fought in the nude by combatants and usually ended in one man breaking the other's bones. It was crude and brutal and a spectator favorite. Some might say early MMA....
                Another thing is that boxing has produced an icon for the times in every era and has woven itself into our culture. MMA is just now in it's infancy and has only recently produced it's "Jack Johnson" a Russian by the name of Fedor Emelianenko. IMO it may be another fifty years before we see another fighter with all the assets that Fedor possesses.
                Last edited by hispanicmakingpanic; 05-29-2007, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...