• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Workout suggestions?

Okay, I've finally got my speedbag setup stable (somewhat). I'm using it about three times a week. 3-4 Three minute rounds. Lots of work to do still as far as coordination stamina and rhythm. Any suggestions for drills that really push the stamina and focus and coordination?
    sigpic
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Ya, man

Step back from the bag and take a fighting stance. Now throw 3 minutes of left jabs with a right cross every 3 jabs. Do a second round with the opposite side. Try to keep the same rhythm the whole time, and start out easy so you don't bonk halfway through. As soon as you're done drop down and knock out 10-20 pushups. Get back up and start another round, or try a different combination. Go through this routine 3 times (6 rounds total) and you will be pumped up and sweating like an Oldie.

This is called high intensity interval training and it will put some tone in your muscles and dissolve lots of flab....

Comment

• jaguiler
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2007

try some slow long distance runs in the morning as well... work up to 3 to 5 miles - then 7 to 9 on the weekends... then come in and hit - when youa re not working out you will feel like a champ !!

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
        Step back from the bag and take a fighting stance. Now throw 3 minutes of left jabs with a right cross every 3 jabs. Do a second round with the opposite side. Try to keep the same rhythm the whole time, and start out easy so you don't bonk halfway through. As soon as you're done drop down and knock out 10-20 pushups. Get back up and start another round, or try a different combination. Go through this routine 3 times (6 rounds total) and you will be pumped up and sweating like an Oldie.

This is called high intensity interval training and it will put some tone in your muscles and dissolve lots of flab....
        Thanks!! I'll give that a whirl next time I go. This sounds like a good supplement to this circuit I was experimenting with:1 round on the speed bag then attempt handstand pushups, then for 1 round:30 seconds rope, 30 seconds shadow boxing with 1 lb weights, switching between the rope and shadow boxing without rest. then take a 30 second break and hit the bag again. doing this for 3-4 rounds. MAJOR butt kicker!!I'll definitely add your suggestion !!
        sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
          try some slow long distance runs in the morning as well... work up to 3 to 5 miles - then 7 to 9 on the weekends... then come in and hit - when youa re not working out you will feel like a champ !!
          Thank you for this.Unfortunately, my present work schedule doesn't allow me time to run consistently. But you have given me an idea for an experiment. Thanks again!!
          sigpic

Comment

• SupergeZ
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post

check out this article on long distance running, quite interesting

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
              • May 2007

Wow that's eye opening information G. I have inadvertently done it correctly then! I always shadowbox fast and furious and then feel wiped out when I get on my speedbag. I never run for more than 2 miles at a time anymore and was actually feeling a bit old due to it. Great news for slackers! By the way metaldad the shadowboxing with weights is an excellent workout for pushing the cardio. If you hadn't mentioned it I was going to suggestit.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2007

i was thinking of getting some shadow boxing gloves for running, ad a bit of a weighted workout to the arms, rekon it would be a good idea?

Comment

• jaguiler
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
                  http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/artic...ry_says_l.html

check out this article on long distance running, quite interesting
                  that's all BS ! - no facts behind his articles either.... the militaru has lots of warped ideas. Plus they train for specific goals for battles, not distance running or boxing....

here is my favorite from this page:

So we know that long slow runs suck for fat loss, and that the best way to lose fat is short, intense cardio sessions. Now we know that long slow runs also suck for fitness. Now while you might not be training for military readiness - you are going to be more fit for any task you need to perform by doing short fast intense cardio.
                  Please don't pay attention to that BS !!

distance running, as boring as it may be, when done at a low heart will increase endurance and stanima. It will burn fat as a fuel source.
                  When going into more intense areobic + running, you are simply burning carbs and sugar for the primary source of fuel, you are then burning fat when you finish all that. But it would take hours and hours of high intensity to burn all the carbs your body has stored.
                  Slower running will lead to less injuries and promote proper form, faster running will sideline the soldiers with shinsplints and other injuries.

there is a place for faster running - a good mix is important, but if weight loss and endurance is a goal, slow running is the key. if you are racing or want more intensity, then mix it up with intervals at higher rates, only after a solid base has been built.

the research is there.... the results and performance has all been proven....

As for running with the shadow boxing weights... I tend to stick to one activity at a time... what would the bystanders think ? how about what it would do to running form ? I know it is time consuming. when you see the montages of pro boxers running and training, they never run with weights in their hands....
                  Last edited by jaguiler; 06-07-2007, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2007

not shadow boxing when ur running, look daft doing that lol, am just on about having the bit of added weight to ur hands to work your arms abit more, add abit more intensity

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                      • May 2007

I agree to stick to one activity at a time... light weights for shadow boxing (5lbs or les) is actually a great way to loosen up and build resistance. Once you put em down you'll notice the spring in your arms! As for running, I tend to believe jaguiler just because my dad was a marine and he's told me stories of their unorthodox approach to training... I envy your running routine, as you know that's a neglected workout for most and also the most beneficial.

Comment

• LaxDude08
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jun 2007

I use to run cross country back in high school and any fat that you had on your body was GONE by the end of the season. If you want to lose weight long low impact low heartrate workouts are the best. If your heartrate gets too high, your body will store the fat as energy and you will burn muscle.

Also, most injuries happen to runners from improper warm up routines, not stretching after a quick light run. As for shinsplits, to avoid these run on softer ground such as grass, not a track or road. If you feel your shins getting tight, ice them before and after your runs.

Comment

• BillyMack
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
                          As for running, I tend to believe jaguiler just because my dad was a marine
                          oo-ra!

As for shinsplits, to avoid these run on softer ground such as grass, not a track or road.
                          Or build yourself a DARD and build up those shins...

joeskopec.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, joeskopec.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I made one of these after breaking my ankle last October. It has not only helped me recover 100% but my ankles and shins are much stronger than they've ever been....

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                            ....build yourself a DARD and build up those shins...

I made one of these after breaking my ankle last October. It has not only helped me recover 100% but my ankles and shins are much stronger than they've ever been....
                            Great link. Looks like a cool unit.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by LaxDude08 View Post
                              I use to run cross country back in high school and any fat that you had on your body was GONE by the end of the season. If you want to lose weight long low impact low heartrate workouts are the best. If your heartrate gets too high, your body will store the fat as energy and you will burn muscle.

Also, most injuries happen to runners from improper warm up routines, not stretching after a quick light run. As for shinsplits, to avoid these run on softer ground such as grass, not a track or road. If you feel your shins getting tight, ice them before and after your runs.
                              that's what I was trying to say....

medicine balls help in conditioning as well... I have stayed away from weights, but now just thinking about picking up a cheap bench and weights...I made my own 16 lb medicine ball though with an a $5 basketball and some sand.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...