• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zack
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2007

Speed bag newbie

Hey all,

I hit the speed bag here and there in the gym over the last year, just for a few minutes to mess around. I decided to get more serious with it and bought the speed bag bible DVD after seeing it on titleboxing.com (very happy with it BTW). I've only gotten through the first 15 minutes or so.

I used to play drums so I'm coming along pretty quickly. I've been practicing twice a week or so for 3 weeks, and I can do basically any combination of FSP/FCP at a fast, steady rhythm with good footwork. I can also do the roll on its own - I think I'll be able to work it in to the normal rhythm during the next session. I can also pretty seamlessly throw in a double punch (don't remember if that's the right name for it) with either hand leading - I haven't been able to do a right fist leading, then left fist leading double punch in succession yet - any hints?

I can also throw in elbow strikes - I haven't gotten to these in the DVD yet, so I just threw in what felt natural. I looked on speedbagcentral.com and I didn't see the elbow strike that I'm doing on the page. I bring my elbow up over above the outside of my shoulder and accelerate in a downward motion across my body. Is this a "bad" strike to do, or is it pretty much ok to throw in whatever works/feels ok?

Also having trouble on the "figure-8" motion where you first hit the bag from the front, then the back. Do you wait only 2 rebounds or 4 before hitting again?

I'll try to get some video up soon. In the meantime I'm working on making my own platform - my brother welds, so I think we'll come up with a pretty solid setup.

Any tips appreciated.
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Welcome! There is already a Zach here but since you spell it differently I guess you can stay!

FDP - Front Double Punch - I imagine a horizontal "V" with the tip on the bag and the open end about 2 inches out from my ears. Bring your hands up to the left side of your head with your right fist leading, strike both fists through the bag along the V but let the right follow through a little farther than the left. When you bring your hands through, your left will come under the bag and the right fist should follow through out to the right side of the bag, continue to bring your hands up to the right side of your head this time with your left fist leading. now repeat with your left striking first...

The figure 8 you speak of is called "linking" or passing the fist through the bag. When done correctly, this shouldn't be a figure 8 motion but more of a back and forth reciprocating action. Your elbow should be high and very stable, and bag height is critical (belly at your chin/mouth)...you can do this off 2 or 4 rebounds but 2 is obviously more challenging....

we love vids and pics...

Comment

• Zack
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2007

Thanks a lot for the help - got the FDP down pat now. Still having trouble with linking - I can't seem to get that solid of a hit on the reverse punch.

Comment

• BillyMack
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Zack View Post
        Thanks a lot for the help - got the FDP down pat now. Still having trouble with linking - I can't seem to get that solid of a hit on the reverse punch.
        Try experimenting moving your body farther or closer to the bag. Also, on the reverse I tend to strike the bag right as it's coming off the board; there is a much smaller window of opportunity for striking the bag on reverse. Just keep practicing and experimenting and you'll get it no time!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...