• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonzel
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2007

Solid Maple Drum Question

I plan to make a solid maple drum platform with angle iron supports. I have 1 inch thick rough saw maple boards and my dad has all the tools I need. Once i plain down the wood I'll be working with 3/4 inch thick wood. I'm atleast gonna double it up leaving me with 1.5 inch thick drum. But i'm thinking of tripleing it giving me a 2.25 inch thick drum, but I dont want to bother with a third peice if I dont have to. My concern is that I DO NOT want to have to put a sand bag on top of it. I plan to make my angle iron platform extremely sturdy. SO my question is: Does anyone have a 1.5 inch thick solid maple drum attached to a nice sturdy platform? and if so, Do you use a sandbag to reduce vibration, or is there no need for a sandbag? - Thanks
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

in my opinion, the thicker the better. sandbags are always a must as well. the maple is a good piece of hardwood so you are a step ahead in density and weight. you could probably do 1.5 and be great, but i'd always add a sandbag.

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
      in my opinion, the thicker the better. sandbags are always a must as well. the maple is a good piece of hardwood so you are a step ahead in density and weight. you could probably do 1.5 and be great, but i'd always add a sandbag.
      agreed even if you dont think you need a sandbag and u throw one on top u will notice a significant difference.
      ________
      Wiki Vaporizer
      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:29 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I have a 1 1/2" thick cherry drum that I made for an Ibox and I still use a sandbag. I also have a 1 1/2 " thick Ash drum that I have for a Ringside unit. Both units are very sturdy but there is still some vibration without sandbags so it's still recommended. It's not the drum that is flexing, it's the frame. It doesn't flex much though, the drum moves less than 1/16ths of an inch or so and the end when I'm hitting it. The sandbag on top made it quieter and pretty much eliminated any vibration.

Instead of layering your boards, why not cut strips the width of the thickness of the drum you want and glue up the strips? It will look better and it will be easier to glue up.

Here's a link to the drum I made with photos and a brief explanation of how I did it:

Tips and tricks for mounting your speed bag platform. Ideas, information, and examples of home made or customized platforms

Here's a picture of the same drum on my Ibox: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...highlight=ibox

I considered doing it your way, but I didn't want the layered look so I went with strips. I think I would be easier because if you want to layer your boards, ideally you'll want to have the grain running perpendicular to the layer above and below it. I made a thick tabletop that way once and I didn't like how it looked when looking at the ends.

You also have to make sure that each layer is perfectly flat before gluing your layers up. That's not really an issue if you have a thickness sander, but it's a hell of a lot of work. If you've ever used a thickness sander for wide pieces, you know it will take you approximately an hour for each piece to get it level and flat both sides.

I literally made the drum in the picture above in one day and was using it the next.

Comment

• Kyle
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post

I literally made the drum in the picture above in one day and was using it the next.
          show off!!! lol
          ________
          CALIFORNIA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
          Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• Jonzel
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • May 2007

Good advice - Thanks,
            I'll post pics when i'm done.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...