• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PunchDrunk
    • Oct 2014

unknown Swivel ( to me at least)

Hello fellow members

I picked up this old rig for 50 bucks the other day. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this particular platform set up . There is no labels or manufacturer on anything the speed bag, platform or swivel. I was more concerned with the swivel (the only thing I want to refurbish) possibly a manufacturer and some history on this type of swivel. The bag I don't care for too much so is anyone is interested its yours( bag leather is still soft and is stuffed with news paper it has no rips or tears all seams look good for its age). The platform I will use as a decorative piece mainly because I don't think the wood frame could take more than a few punches without splintering. The ring is in a decent shape can be mounted on a new oak frame if I ever get around to making one. Any information is appreciated as always

Thanks
    Mario Isaac Albero
    PunchDrunk
    OIIIIIIIO
    Attached Files
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

It looks like a swivel I have except your appears to have been broken and they made do with a shoe string. Here are a couple pics of mine whole. It an awesome swivel BTW. It has ball bearings in the base that the chain rotates on. Mine is attached to a Nonpareil platform.

Here's an original ad to buy one.

fedora
    Last edited by fedora; 03-26-2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• PunchDrunk
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by fedora View Post
      It looks like a swivel I have except your appears to have been broken and they made do with a shoe string. Here are a couple pics of mine whole. It an awesome swivel BTW. It has ball bearings in the base that the chain rotates on. Mine is attached to a Nonpareil platform.

Here's an original ad to buy one.

fedora
      Hello Fedora.

I appreciate your fast response. I should have known you would have the knowledge on this matter. I've seen your posts and amazing collection of vintage swivels and platforms. These two swivels are very much a like. The only slight difference I could see is the your swivel has a screw in the center, possibly to hold the bearings and chain in place. The swivel I have does not seen to have that screw set up. but in my eyes it appear to have something missing in the inside to keep the leather sting from fraying

thanks
      Mario Isaac Albero
      PunchDrunk
      OIIIIIIIO
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Fedora is the swivel king, that's for sure. NONPAREIL stayed with this basic design up until the end of production as far as I have been able to tell. The basic rebound ring design was adopted by several manufacturers. Examples of it with the wood replaced by steel frame were being sold up into the 1960's.
        Here is a wee bit about the Nonpareil Manufacturing Co. and it's successor

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...