• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

How much does age matter?

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but here goes: I'm gonna be 40 next month and have NEVER been in the ring. I'm considering together with a trainer. Am I too old to try a few rounds?
    sigpic
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

You never know until you try. Didn't Foreman fight well past 40?

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

As much as I'd like to say it doesn't, (I'm 44) I'm afraid it does unless you're in top physical condition for your age. I say that because when I spar with guys in their 20's, they're much faster than I am. I think I can outlast them, and I'm sure I can punch at least as hard as they do, but I'm slower. It hurts to admit it, but it's true.

My stamina is still there, but who knows how much longer that will last? Those runs seem to get harder every day.

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        You never know until you try. Didn't Foreman fight well past 40?
        True, but he was also experienced, I get what you're saying though. Don't be afrad of it, just be smart about it. You also got me thinking about Ron "The American Dragon" Williams(?). I forgot his name but he fought in the UFC at 52 and was beaten by Joyce Gracie. I'm sure he had other fights, but I remember being blown away by an (old) man having the balls to step up and fight like that. I consider myself a late bloomer and would at least like to have the experience before I'm 70 lol
        sigpic

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
          True, but he was also experienced, I get what you're saying though. Don't be afrad of it, just be smart about it. You also got me thinking about Ron "The American Dragon" Williams(?). I forgot his name but he fought in the UFC at 52 and was beaten by Joyce Gracie. I'm sure he had other fights, but I remember being blown away by an (old) man having the balls to step up and fight like that. I consider myself a late bloomer and would at least like to have the experience before I'm 70 lol
          I'm with you 100%, I didn't mean to be discouraging at all. I have no doubt that I can hold my own against someone within 10 years of my age.

I too have hopes of stepping into the ring sometime, as long as I keep up the training.

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
            I'm with you 100%, I didn't mean to be discouraging at all. I have no doubt that I can hold my own against someone within 10 years of my age.

I too have hopes of stepping into the ring sometime, as long as I keep up the training.
            Dude, your comment wasn't discouraging!! On the contrary, you're helping me look at this realistically. My only fights have been undisciplined streetfights where rage dirty fighting and spastic movements were the order of the day. I've always wanted to learn boxing. It just took me 'til almost 40 to get the gumption to try
            sigpic

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
              Dude, your comment wasn't discouraging!! On the contrary, you're helping me look at this realistically. My only fights have been undisciplined streetfights where rage dirty fighting and spastic movements were the order of the day. I've always wanted to learn boxing. It just took me 'til almost 40 to get the gumption to try
              I guess what I was trying to say was that just because a fit 25 year old is faster than you, don't let that discourage you from giving up.

Personally, I have enjoyed my boxing classes for fitness purposes. I used to be quite the fitness god and let myself go for about 10 years and I've only in the last 2 years been working on getting back into shape.

I sometimes have delusions that I might be able to get into a ring someday. I'd like to try it sometime, but it's going to have to be someone over 35 for sure. Then again, my boxing instructor is 52 and no one in my class or the muai thai class that immediately follows mine can hold a candle to his skills and speed. Then again, he's been doing it for 40+ years.... No way in hell would I try to box against him until he's ready for the nursing home.

Then again, I can honestly say I can easily whup Mohammed Ali! I never thought I'd be able to say that.

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                I guess what I was trying to say was that just because a fit 25 year old is faster than you, don't let that discourage you from giving up.

Personally, I have enjoyed my boxing classes for fitness purposes. I used to be quite the fitness god and let myself go for about 10 years and I've only in the last 2 years been working on getting back into shape.

I sometimes have delusions that I might be able to get into a ring someday. I'd like to try it sometime, but it's going to have to be someone over 35 for sure. Then again, my boxing instructor is 52 and no one in my class or the muai thai class that immediately follows mine can hold a candle to his skills and speed. Then again, he's been doing it for 40+ years.... No way in hell would I try to box against him until he's ready for the nursing home.

Then again, I can honestly say I can easily whup Mohammed Ali! I never thought I'd be able to say that.
                LOL!! All things considered, I still wouldn't underestimate the man!!
                sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...