• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kk6pr
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2007

Weighted platforms

Hi, new to the forum.

I was able to set up a speed bag platform at work and have been practicing for about a year and a half now. It's located in a back room where there's racks of noisy computer equipment.

Here's the model I have:

After I started getting good at it, some of the people working in offices located behind the wall started complaining about the noise and I ended up tying about 125 lbs of bar bells along the top, front to back. It helped to deaden some of the vibration and noise, and most importantly - it made the bag action much more solid!

I must be getting better as I can now "rock the weights" and when I started hitting from the sides, the vibrations began to increase again. I just added two 25 lb bar bells to left and right sides - and the bag feels like its bouncing off rock.

I'm a little concerned now however, about the structural integrity of placing 175 lbs on top of the platform and whether the slight vibration of all that weight might begin to lossen welds, strip the bolts holding the platform, whatever.

My question is: does anyone have any experience placing weights on the top and advice on how to avoid and problems?

Thanks
    Rick
  • Busta Knuckles
    • Jul 2007

You might want to try using sandbags.....MUCH SAFER and the sand is very efficient at absorbing the shock and vibration.....

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by kk6pr View Post
      Here's the model I have:

...I'm a little concerned now however, about the structural integrity of placing 175 lbs on top of the platform and whether the slight vibration of all that weight might begin to lossen welds, strip the bolts holding the platform, whatever.

My question is: does anyone have any experience placing weights on the top and advice on how to avoid and problems?

Thanks
      Rick
      I'd worry about the wall. With that much weight just sitting on the board out from the wall, it really puts some stress on it. The weight over the top is not needed when no one is hitting it, which is most of the time. My experience with anything over the board is: if it is not secured or setting on a soft, stable surface, it will eventually vibrate to the end and fall off.

Busta Knuckles has the best advice. Use sand bags.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I think the argument can be made that it's less stress on the frame and welds with the weights or sand bags because you lessened the vibration.

I know from my years of working on cars and in bodyshops that failed welds more often came from areas that were subject to stress and vibration than the areas that had stress without vibration.

Oh, and for the record, I heartily agree with the sandbag suggestion. I use them on both of my platforms and they work wonders.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
          I think the argument can be made that it's less stress on the frame and welds with the weights or sand bags because you lessened the vibration.

I know from my years of working on cars and in bodyshops that failed welds more often came from areas that were subject to stress and vibration than the areas that had stress without vibration..
          Good point. Never thought of that.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

Anyone who's ever owned an old Harley knows what I'm talking about.

Oh one other thing Rick, the weakest point in that setup is the 3/4" MDF drum. I'd be more concerned about that holding up all that weight. Consider getting some double thickness 3/4" plywood to replace it or reinforce your existing MDF drum with a single layer of 3/4" plywood. ; )
            Last edited by Chris M; 07-26-2007, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• kk6pr
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              I'd worry about the wall. With that much weight just sitting on the board out from the wall, it really puts some stress on it. The weight over the top is not needed when no one is hitting it, which is most of the time. My experience with anything over the board is: if it is not secured or setting on a soft, stable surface, it will eventually vibrate to the end and fall off.

Busta Knuckles has the best advice. Use sand bags.
              Thanks all for the advice - I'll see what I can do. I did use an embarrassing amout of rope and knot work to secure eveything to the top, so if it does come down, it'll be as one piece...

Speed bag - I bought your book and video the same day I bought the platform and bag. The only way to start! It became a favorite at work and now I don't know who borrowed and forgot to return it. I'll be buying another copy soon!

Rick

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by kk6pr View Post
                .. Speed bag - I bought your book and video the same day I bought the platform and bag. The only way to start! It became a favorite at work and now I don't know who borrowed and forgot to return it. I'll be buying another copy soon!

Rick
                Nice to know I'm stealable. PM me your address and I'll hook you up.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ninja420
                  • Jan 2007

Just thought I would mention using a smaller bag....and if any one here ever vibrates a weld apart by punching a bag I want to know about it

Comment

• Roscoe
                    • May 2006

Panhead

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                    Anyone who's ever owned an old Harley knows what I'm talking about.
                    You got that right Chris: Bolt/Locktite everything down solid on the machine so nothing vibrates except your own teeth, eyeballs, internal organs, spinal colum, etc.

Never had a weld break loose but I have pissed blood

Comment

• kk6pr
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jul 2007

Yeah, I've had a few people look at it and say it's pretty solid. The bolts go all the way thru the studs and fastened to the opposite wall.

Just uploaded a pic and video in the "Pictures and Videos" section.

Still have a long way to go, but check it out:

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...