• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2006

New Member here with questions

Hello all,

I am glad to have come across this forum. A little background - my wife bought me a speedbag about 2 1/2 years ago for christmas , after i about 6 months i started using it off and on ( i had a mild heart attack between the time she purchased the speedbag and before Christmas ) It sat again for a while and now i want to get serious.

I have the everlast 4214 that came with the setup - not sure what size it is - anybody know?

I ordered a Title classic bag -8x5 and should have this week, i want to add a everlast 4200 9X6 as well. Any other bags you would recommend? I know that the training varies with each size bag. Any thoughts on the small size Kangroo bag?

I just bought a everlast 4400 swivel, i want to hunt down an all metal style as well.

-- Using a left or right hook- you hit the bag with the side of the hand ( thumb knuckle) and not the front - correct.

The fist roll may be my favorite at this point, I just started learning that last nite. I am anixous to learn other sequences and techniques

These were just some of the questions i could not find answers for.

Thanks

Gary
    Last edited by Gary; 05-16-2006, 05:55 PM.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

See the following sites, and check out the "speed bag combinations".

I highly highly recommend getting Alan's video. I learned more there than anywhere else.

Video here:

Good luck!

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Gary
      Hello all,

I am glad to have come across this forum. A little background - my wife bought me a speedbag about 2 1/2 years ago for christmas , after i about 6 months i started using it off and on ( i had a mild heart attack between the time she purchased the speedbag and before Christmas ) It sat again for a while and now i want to get serious.
      Hi and welcome.

I have the everlast 4214 that came with the setup - not sure what size it is - anybody know?
      It's probably 10x7.

-- Using a left or right hook- you hit the bag with the side of the hand ( thumb knuckle) and not the front - correct.
      I use the front of the hand - like a traditional boxing hook (That doesn't necessarily mean that's the only correct way to do it though!)

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

New Member questions

Hello Gary and Welcome to Speedbagforums. The use of the speed bag will be an excellent activity for your home workout, and eventually, with some skill and practice, afford you a good cardiovasular workout - aiding your cardiac rehab.

I am sure the group here can answer most questions you have.

...I have the everlast 4214 that came with the setup - not sure what size it is - anybody know?
        The Everlast 4214 is a 10x7 bag, one size larger than the 4200, which is a 9x6. The 4214 comes in several colors, red and brown. It is their economy version. For an 10x7, I actually like their model 4201 better. But the 4214 should get you started.

...I ordered a Title classic bag -8x5 and should have this week, i want to add a everlast 4200 9X6 as well. Any other bags you would recommend? I know that the training varies with each size bag. Any thoughts on the small size Kangroo bag?
        The bags you've ordered will work just fine. As a beginner, (if you are..) I wouldn't go to a small bag too soon. stick with the 9x6. Actually, I recommend new folks start with an 11x8 or 10x7. Bags vary slightly by size, company and shape. Again, the bags you have coming will work fine. The key is YOUR movements and control. Once you get those down, the bag will do what it is suppose to.

...I just bought a everlast 4400 swivel, i want to hunt down an all metal style as well.
        Want a metal ballhook?? So does everybody else. Good luck on that one.

...-- Using a left or right hook- you hit the bag with the side of the hand ( thumb knuckle) and not the front - correct.
        What you describe (hitting the side area of the bag with the thumb side of fist) is called a "Side Single Punch". Hitting the side area with the front of the fist would be a "Hook punch". You can do a Left Hook - Right Hook combination with four rebounds inbetween.

...The fist roll may be my favorite at this point, I just started learning that last nite. I am anixous to learn other sequences and techniques
        Front Fist Rolling is fun and fairly easy to do. Roll them close and fast. For most techniques, the secret is to slow down to do the movement correctly, but it is actually more difficult to Fist Roll slowly than it is to go faster. Form makes it easier. Try and make a "V" pocket when you Roll, with the fists being the point of the "V" and your elbows the two top points. If you fists move out past your elbows, your Roll may break down.

...These were just some of the questions i could not find answers for
        This is a great forum to ask your questions. We have a TEAM of knowledgeable speed baggers, many learning along with you, who will try and answer them for you. Post some video's of yourself hitting and we can review them for you. This is one of the few places on the net to get FREE online tutoring. Start up a page on PUTFILE.com or YOUTUBE.com, post your video clips there, put up notice here with a link to your video in the video forum, and we'll check them out. Here is a Sample posting

Good luck and train safely.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Gary
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • May 2006

question on FDP

Thanks for the replies

I received the 8x5 bag today and played around for a brief time, what a big difference from the 10x7

a question on the FDP - the lead fist hits the bag, 1 rebound and the trailing hand hits the bag - correct ?

it is hard to tell on the video - i will pick uo the book/dvd soon

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

a question on the FDP - the lead fist hits the bag, 1 rebound and the trailing hand hits the bag - correct ?
            Yes, that's

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Yes, that's correct.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Front Double Punching

Thanks for the replies

I received the 8x5 bag today and played around for a brief time, what a big difference from the 10x7

Yes. Secret is correctly positioning the fists before you do it, and then move them both together. Lead fist hits the bag, which automatically rebounds into second fist after one rebound. The second fist then returns to hit the bag on the next (front) technique. (usually after three rebounds).

Check out continuous Front Double Punching (FDP) in speed bag combinations video clip #12

the slow motion shows it best. And you can do this very slowly also.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...