• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

weird old school board

just wondering if anyone has used anything like this and if it works ok because this thing is interesting to me

________
    WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:35 AM.
  • SupergeZ
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2007

oldschool! buy it and retore it, would be a great project!

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

I'm an old house guy and when I was looking at houses early last year, one of the old houses I looked at had one of those mounted in the basement with an old bag that still was holding a little air, I think the bag was a Rawlings or maybe an old Everlast of an older design, I can't remember. What I do remember though was that the bottom edge of the hoop had all the paint worn off from the bag hitting it and the bag was worn pretty well in a half inch circle around it's circumference at about the belly level.

The platform didn't look too sturdy to be honest with you and the swivel was one of those stamped cheapie ball hook swivels that was really old and rusted pretty badly, much like the one in the picture.

Look at the construction of the frame of that platform in your link. It appears to be made of 1x2 inch oak and held together with screws. I can't see these things being very solid. Look at the vibration issues we have with much heavier duty designs like the iBox! I don't think one of these designs could support a sandbag for very long! It would be cool to have as as conversation piece, but not for use IMO.

I think if these were really good designs they probably would still be in production. Then again, maybe they don't make them because they can only accept bags of a certain size. Based on what I've seen of old school speed bag pictures is that only the bigger bags were used (even more vibration to the frame!!!!) and I don't think that you could even use anything smaller than an 8x11 bag on those.

I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that anything smaller than a 7x10 has only come about in the last 40 years or so.

The old man on the board can tell us how prevalent the small bags were when he started.....
      Last edited by Chris M; 08-08-2007, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

From what I've seen the "rebound ring" seems to have come into being in the 1920's, primarily for home use. It was lighter than a solid platform, there for easier to ship and set up by the home user. A great many striking bag sets were sold through the major catalog houses. These were commonly sold up untill the late 1960's . The bags were at least 14x9 if not larger in these sets. (Hutchison out of Cincinnatti was the supplier for Sears Roebuck for a great many years) It was noted by several of the major manufacturers of bags that the rings were pretty rough on the bags. You can see the scuff marks on the belly of bags that were used on these. By the early 1970's I know that Everlast was instructing buyers of their products not to use this type of platform, to the point that they would not guarentee them if you did.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          From what I've seen the "rebound ring" seems to have come into being in the 1920's, primarily for home use. It was lighter than a solid platform, there for easier to ship and set up by the home user. A great many striking bag sets were sold through the major catalog houses. These were commonly sold up untill the late 1960's . The bags were at least 14x9 if not larger in these sets. (Hutchison out of Cincinnatti was the supplier for Sears Roebuck for a great many years) It was noted by several of the major manufacturers of bags that the rings were pretty rough on the bags. You can see the scuff marks on the belly of bags that were used on these. By the early 1970's I know that Everlast was instructing buyers of their products not to use this type of platform, to the point that they would not guarentee them if you did.
          Dutchman, I am always amazed at your knowledge of speed bag history and equipment.

I have seen these old rebounds rings, and have used newer versions of them. They really yield a springy rebound, but they are limited to one or two sized bags to match the bag belly to the ring, and they do tend to wear the bag at the contact point. It IS a collectors item if you are into historical speed bag equipment. I see these up in "nostalgia decor" restaurants occassionally.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

The first time I ever hit a bag was with one of these setups. It belonged to a cousin of mine, and the bag was friggin huge (at least it seem that way to an eght year old) and required me standing on a stool to hit it.

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

I need to correct the one post above. Sears sporting goods line was called J.C. Higgins, and it was not made by Hutchison. (Got my "H"s mixed up) Here is a short history from Sears website

J.C. Higgins: 1908-1964

Many people ask if there was a real "J.C. Higgins" who worked for Sears. There certainly was. John Higgins began working for Sears in 1898 as the manager of the headquarters' office bookkeepers and retired as company comptroller in 1930.
              "John Higgins" the employee became "J.C. Higgins" the brand name during a discussion in 1908 among Sears' executives of possible names for a new line of sporting goods. At this point, the story gets a bit murky, but Higgins' name was suggested and John Higgins consented to Sears use his name. Since he did not have a middle initial, Sears added the "C."

In 1908, the Western Sporting Goods Company in Chicago began putting J.C. Higgins on baseballs and baseball gloves sold in Sears catalogs. By 1910, the J.C. Higgins trademark was extended to cover footballs and basketballs. Later, the popularity of the Higgins brand—combined with the wider participation of American youth in sports—led Sears to place tennis equipment, soccer balls, volleyballs, boxing equipment and baseball uniforms in the J.C. Higgins line.

By the 1940s, J.C. Higgins represented all Sears fishing, boating and camping equipment. After the Second World War, Sears consolidated all sporting goods under the J.C. Higgins brand name and added it to a line of luggage.

The J.C. Higgins brand disappeared shortly after Sears introduced the Ted Williams brand of sporting and recreation goods in 1961.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...