• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PioneerCrazed
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2006

Lumpy?

Hi everyone, new here and to the world of the speedbag.

My setup right now is using a freestanding Century... On one side is a 100lbs everlast bag, and for the speedbag an everlast 4210 which I've only had a couple days. The thing I'm noticing about the 4210 is it seems to have developed lumps at the seams all over it. I'm thinking that these are affecting the way it's rebounding also. Is that normal for it to break-in like that?

Either way I think I'm going to grab one of those Top Contender bags for $12 just to have a 6x9 bag around.

Thanks, and look forward to getting better!

Oh and one more thing, thanks Tim for the sandbag idea... I've got 3 50lbs bags on the stand right now and it still rocks like crazy...
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by PioneerCrazed
    Hi everyone, new here and to the world of the speedbag.

My setup right now is using a freestanding Century... On one side is a 100lbs everlast bag, and for the speedbag an everlast 4210 which I've only had a couple days. The thing I'm noticing about the 4210 is it seems to have developed lumps at the seams all over it. I'm thinking that these are affecting the way it's rebounding also. Is that normal for it to break-in like that?

Either way I think I'm going to grab one of those Top Contender bags for $12 just to have a 6x9 bag around.

Thanks, and look forward to getting better!

Oh and one more thing, thanks Tim for the sandbag idea... I've got 3 50lbs bags on the stand right now and it still rocks like crazy...
    I have to say the Everlast retail line that you pick up in most stores like Sports Authority has never impressed me with quality. I'd ditch the 4210 and get one of the Title bags or the everlast Pro series - you probably can't go wrong with the price on that top contender though - please let us know how it works out.

I looked at that Century stand as well. It's got more height adjustment than my everlast and the drum feels thicker and much sturdier. It's made out of metal tubing that seems like it would flex less than the everlast model as well.

Does the stand rock when you are hitting the heavy bag or when you're hitting the speed bag ? The achilles heel of all of these heavy bag/speed bag platforms is that the single support column will always flex when the speed bag is being used. The best thing you can do is use the smallest bag possible to limit inertia and learn to live with it. If you've seen any of my video clips you can see the drum moving back and forth alot... someday I hope to get a wall mount unit again - however, I've found that you can make much progress on a free standing unit, so don't let it stand in your way. I've toyed with the idea of getting this unit: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8050.html , which has two vertical support columns, so it would possibly rock less, although side to side will still be a problem....Alan (speedbag) has also suggested luggage straps or some other tie down to help keep freestanding units from rocking, I've looked into it, but decided I didn't want to spend any more on the platform I have now.

If it rocks when you are hitting the heavy bag, make sure you are snapping your punches and not pushing too much - or add more sand

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. The more we share the more we learn.
    Last edited by Tim; 06-11-2006, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed bag lumps

Hello Pioneercrazed and welcome to the world of speed baggin'.

In answer to your question about lumps, I have also noticed several bags, for some reason have wierd "lumps" pop up all around a bag. I just got a few new bags myself, and sure enough, after airing them up, lumps appeared (up by the bag loop). ???

As many of you know, we here at SpeedBagCentral take Speed Bags very seriously. I will say that occassionally I get all my speed bags in a circle for a discussion. We talk about many things, size and shape being one. and I can tell you this: They don't know either. I noticed that lumpy bags also tend to be self conscious about their shape and become introverted. by the way, speed bags also ask me why certain people who punch them have strange "lumps" popout all over them. (hey, Dr. Doolittle could talk to the animals..... ) like people, they also have a fear of needles.

I find a "lump" as opposed to a "lopsided bag", will only effect the rebound if it appears on an area that strikes the board. One of my favorites bags of all times, (may it rest in peace..) developed a lump up over the belly, and didn't hit the board. I used it long after the lump appeared. It died when the lump finally detached the seam, and a gaping wound opened down the bag.

That is the 8x5 red/black bag you see in most of my recumbent cycle videos

If you get the small top contender bag, you can leave it a little "soft" or "mushy" (a bit underinflated...), which will slow it down a tad. And use very small movements on this bag. it doesn't take much to make it fly.

And TIM, You don't have to buy luggage straps to "tie down" your board. You could do the same with rope. Just tie off the top and bottom, pulling it tight. After a few workouts, just change it. I was using luggage straps for I was changing board heights a lot, up and down, at public shows etc. It was just easier to adjust the board up or down for other people to use it.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 06-11-2006, 12:36 PM. Reason: fix link
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PioneerCrazed
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2006

Thanks for the replies guys... My setup has changed considerably now, we took back the century stand, it was just too unstable. Will now be hanging heavy bag from ceiling with a 10" eye-bolt through a 6x6 beam. =) Also took back the lumpy speed bag. So now on the way from ringside is a top contender 6x9 bag, but now need a platform for it. I was planning on building my own with the 3/4" Oak from Home Depot, but will probably just end up buying this mount... http://store.titleboxing.com/sbp.html

Thanks again...

Comment

• scarecrow
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Oct 2007

Speed Bag ceiling mount

Has anyone seen an adjustable height ceiling mount for a speed bag? Something you can move up out of the way when you're not using it...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...