Everlast 4200 speed bag and pro swivel...good setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craig
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2006

Everlast 4200 speed bag and pro swivel...good setup?

Hey im new to the speedbag and am getting ready to purchase my first setup. The bag i think i am going to buy is this everlast leather bag shownhere. Probably a 9x6, i was going to buy a 11x8 but i figure if im gonna buy a good quality bag now, i should buy one that i will want to use later when my skill level is higher.

I am unsure what swivel to buy however. I live in canada, so my suppliers and sources are limited. I would like to get a metal ball and hook but cannot find anything here. The only metal option is the chain link swivel you see here. Is this worth the extra 12 dollars rather then the plastic everlast ball and hook. Any feedback would be appareciated

Also if anyone knows of any other good canadian suppliers...that would be very helpful, thanks
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Welcome, personally I'd go with the 9x6 and the everlast plastic swivel.

Those chain link swivels are pretty bad, for this style of punching. If you're only hitting from one direction I guess they're fine but eventually you may be hitting from the side and other angles. I started on a chain link style swivel and moved on to a ball hook, and won't ever go back. If there's one thing I've found in this hobby - Expensive doesn't always mean better. The ball hook is just as good or better than any other model of swivel.

An 11 x 8 bag is huge, you should be able to get started with the 9 x 6 without too much difficulty. The really large bags like the 11 x 8 can be a challenging workout - it takes a lot of effort to keep it moving, but for maximum speed you'll definitely like the smaller bag better. I find the smaller bags easier on the joints and hands as well. Smaller bags tend to need a less sturdy platform as well, which may or may not be a consideration for you.

I've heard nothing but good about that particular model of Everlast bag, but I haven't used one myself. The Title bags are very good as well and they are economically priced. I can't help much with a supplier, however, I do know that Title sells their stuff through Coach's Choice in Canada, see here for details: http://store.titleboxing.com/info.html (Bottom of the page). Rival boxing gear has some cool looking speed bags too : http://www.rivalboxing.com/e/rspdenglish.html - their web page indicates they are a distributor for Title and Everlast as well.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
    Last edited by Tim; 06-11-2006, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

I'm going to disagree with Tim somewhat.

I feel the 9x6 bag you're looking at, while it is a very good bag, I have one myself, it is pretty fast and is probably not a good idea for a beginner. The Everlast pro series 11x8 is an excellent high quality bag: http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...peed-bags.html
      I bought one of these when I first started out on Alan's advice and am very glad that I did. I liked the bigger bag so much, I even bought a Title 10x12. I personally like the bigger heavier bags because I enjoy hitting harder. The only bad thing about the Title bags is they have a long, wide loop on them which I hate. Sooner or later I'm going to take that bag to an upholstery shop and have them shorten the loop on it.

Alan recommends starting off with a larger bag because they are slower. Speed will come later and then you can move to a faster bag. If you haven't done so already, pick up "The Speedbag bible" or it's companion video. I learned an awful lot very quickly by watching the video.

By the way, you can get that same 6x9 Everlast 4200 bag here for $16 less http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...speed-bag.html

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed bags: Rival

Originally posted by Tim
        ...... Rival boxing gear has some cool looking speed bags too : http://www.rivalboxing.com/e/rspdenglish.html - their web page indicates they are a distributor for Title and Everlast as well.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
        ...Just when you think you've seen it all

I have never seen the Rival speed bags. Cool looking colors and nice teardrop shape. Unique stitching arrangement also. Hmm. the belly of these bags is right inbetween two different seams directions. Bag attachment loop is a little long, but that is the sign of the times. (except everlast, which has held to a short loop on most high end bags). I'll have to get one and see how it hits. I notice both Title boxing and Rival carry each others "items". Both have links on their site to each other, but they don't carry each others speed bags.

Hey Chris. an Everlast $42.00 for $16.00?? Every link I find shows about $39.00.

and Welcome Craig. We love our canadian friends. I have met the people from ATF sports at several sporting good shows. And as pointed out, Title has a canadian outlet.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 06-11-2006, 11:54 AM. Reason: new link
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

"Hey Chris. an Everlast $42.00 for $16.00?? Every link I find shows about $39.00"

No, I didn't say they were $16.00. I said they were $16.00 less, as in you'll save $16.00 by buying direct from Everlast.

"By the way, you can get that same 6x9 Everlast 4200 bag here for $16 less http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...speed-bag.html"

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I think the prices in those links (in the original post) are in Canadian ... hence they are a little higher than here in the states...

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tim
              I think the prices in those links (in the original post) are in Canadian ... hence they are a little higher than here in the states...

That would make a lot more sense, thanks Tim!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...