• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Naval Medical Center accepts Speed Bag

I just received confirmation that the Naval Medical Center of San Diego (formerly Balboa naval hospital) is accepting a donation of speed bag equipment and teaching materials to use with the soldiers, sailors and marines that are recovering from injuries.

This started back in Aug 2007 when I visited the center with John Baca, congressional medal of honor receipient from Vietnam. John is every bit the speed bag master himself, and loves to teach others. He visits the naval medical center weekly, for he spent close to a year in the facility after his own injuries in the 1970's. While touring the gym fitness center it was noted that there speed bag equipment was non-adjustable and pretty much dysfunctional. Certainly not useable by the many vets in wheelchairs. Working with the Naval moral, welfare, fitness staff, we secured permission to donate equipment to the facility, ( which takes a lot more time than orginally planned...) and I'm proud to say that our own Primefighter Sports has just sent a SKU model 400, modified for more height adjustment, to the medical center. The original request was to donate TWO units but there is currently only room for one, until renovations are made.

We are planning on doing a kick off training seminar in probably Feb or March 08.

Hats off and a great salute to Primefighter staff for joining our efforts to help our wounded warriors with equipment. That's another reason to support those that support this board.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 11-17-2007, 10:31 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

That's great news, giving something back to those that served our country.

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      That's great news, giving something back to those that served our country.
      ya sounds amazing. I'm not American or anything but its great that you guys take care of the people that server for your country.
      ________
      Park Royal 1 Prathumnak Pattaya
      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• speedbag4life
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        I just received confirmation that the Naval Medical Center of San Diego (formerly Balboa naval hospital) is accepting a donation of speed bag equipment and teaching materials to use with the soldiers, sailors and marines that are recovering from injuries.

The original request was to donate TWO units but there is currently only room for one, until renovations are made.

We are planning on doing a kick off training seminar in probably Feb or March 08.
        Hats off to Primefighter Sports, and endless gratitude to the soldiers, sailors, and marines.

Speedbag-- need any help with the training seminar?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
          Hats off to Primefighter Sports, and endless gratitude to the soldiers, sailors, and marines.

Speedbag-- need any help with the training seminar?
          On this Trip, probably not, for a couple of reasons. First, I'll most likely be accompanied with John Baca, who is a very accomplished bagger in his own right, and second, other folks may have to get clearance to get on the navy base and enter the hospital ( not that it would be a huge problem, but it is controlled property). In all honest, with only ONE adjustable board, and most likely 15 or 20 participants, there won't be a lot need for other teachers, for there are no other bags for them to work on. I would want to give each of the veteran participants maximum time on the bag, with very little "demo" on my part.

As the event develops, IF it is possible to bring in more board members, I will certainly let you know. In my opinion, Our hospitalized vets can't get too many visitors.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

That's really great news! .
            Last edited by Dutchman; 11-21-2007, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• speedbag4life
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              In my opinion, Our hospitalized vets can't get too many visitors.
              Amen to that. Carry on, Speedbag. What a privilege it'll be to serve those who've served us.

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

As a veteran, I say thank you!!!
                sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Alan,

Sounds like they'll be making room for more platforms eventually. Your videos hitting from a chair position would really open the eyes of vets in wheel chairs, so having adjustable low platforms would be great.

Let us know how we can help.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

To all forum members:

I receive a lot of personal email concerning speed bag issues, but occassionally there is one so special and meaningful that it moves me to share it with the larger speed bag community.

If you EVER doubted the importance of the speed bag and using it to help others, please read this:

( personal email received Feb 1, 2008. Edited for privacy, of course, and a few links to key topics.)
                    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello! My name is Lance Corporal (name removed) of the United States Marine Corps. Just recently I was introduced to the speed bag by John Baca (whom I see is featured on your Special People page, where he truly belongs) and he recommended your site.
                    I\'m very glad he did! I think I\'ve watched every single one of your YouTube videos and enjoyed every one. Until now I had no idea that the speed ball could be manipulated in such a way.

I am currently at Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego recovering from wounds received in Iraq. John Baca always comes by and shares his stories about Vietnam with the other Marines here. It's easy to connect with him because most of the Marines have gone through similar experiences as he has. He loves the speed bag and loves teaching it to us even more. Every time he comes he brings his bags and asks if any of us want to go to the gym with him and learn a thing or two. I took up his offer and now I\'m hooked! My first lesson was taught along side another Marine that lost his left hand to an IED explosion in Iraq. He had a special prosthetic arm made just for boxing, and he used it for the speed bag as well. There was a slight learning curve but I bet with time he\'ll be just as good as anyone else. I was amazed to see him do a roll after only a couple of minutes of practicing. John wants the Admiral in charge of the hospital to come down to the gym so he can teach her a couple lessons. I think after a couple of lessons I\'ll buy my own gear and start practicing on my own. Until then I will recommend to every Marine that is stationed with me (there are over 40, all wounded in different ways in Iraq or Afghanistan) the speed ball, not only as an exercise, but also a stress reliever and relaxer.

Thank you so much for the website and all the content! Regards (name removed)
                    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If a man doing a Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) with a Prosthetic Arm doesn't move you, nothing will.

There are very few days in your life when you will feel as good about what you do, or the cause you stand for, as I do now. I want every wounded soldier, sailor, marine, or national guard reservist to have FREE equipment and speed bag training materials for use, and to take home, from this medical center, and every other military medical center that will consider using the speed bag.

that may be a tall order, but there are a lot of speed baggers in the world....
                    Last edited by Speedbag; 02-02-2008, 01:31 PM.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2008

That's Great Speedbag, as a veteran I want to thank you and Prime Fighter Sports for helping or Vets.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...