• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Life at a video game studio...

Whenever I tell people I work for a video game company , they always want to know what it's like.

This week we launched a new internet site http://www.tiburon.com

There are plenty of pictures and video clips that give you a little taste of what life is like at Electronic Arts. If you look closely you can see me in a few photos (not in the videos though). I don't actually work on the video games themselves... I do IT stuff like internal web sites, databases, wiki, and internet sites such as this one. I didn't do much hands on work for this project, it was mostly done by a contractor.
    Last edited by Tim; 01-05-2008, 01:20 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I saw you a few times....

I'm wondering how hard it would be to develop a speed bag punching game for Wii

I'd love to work with some programmers on sounds and actions. I think it could create a cool speed bag simulation.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      I'm wondering how hard it would be to develop a speed bag punching game for Wii

I'd love to work with some programmers on sounds and actions. I think it could create a cool speed bag simulation.
      There's a whole genre of "rythm" games , like guitar hero and dance dance revolution... my guess is that it's doable. I don't have a wii and haven't played one much , but I think it's got two separate controllers, not sure if you could do both fists with them or not. You wouldn't be able to use elbows..... but I'm pretty sure it could distinguish a RSP from an SSP from an FSP etc.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        There's a whole genre of "rythm" games , like guitar hero and dance dance revolution... my guess is that it's doable. I don't have a wii and haven't played one much , but I think it's got two separate controllers, not sure if you could do both fists with them or not. You wouldn't be able to use elbows..... but I'm pretty sure it could distinguish a RSP from an SSP from an FSP etc.
        there is a commercial on TV that shows them boxing with wii game. and here is a 6yr old vs 26yr old on youtube.com

So, it's doable. Yes, the elbow strikes would not be possible, and I'm not sure about some of the subtle differences when punching from side or reverse and how they locate the bag within a rebound.

It's an interesting concept, and would be more realistic than an Xbox based game. although I still like that idea also.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jumpy
          • Feb 2008

Whenever I tell people I work for a video game company , they always want to know what it's like.

This week we launched a new internet site http://www.tiburon.com

There are plenty of pictures and video clips that give you a little taste of what life is like at Electronic Arts. If you look closely you can see me in a few photos (not in the videos though). I don't actually work on the video games themselves... I do IT stuff like internal web sites, databases, wiki, and internet sites such as this one. I didn't do much hands on work for this project, it was mostly done by a contractor.

Sounds like a good gig there Tim. In 2005 I graduated from the University of Arizona with a BA in Media Arts and minor in business. At the time the program was quite diverse and unspecified, so we studies everyting from film and TV to online/video games and new media. It was a great time, but unpractical for living in Arizona (where I am now).

Never the less, even you aren't into the actual game making field/media creation, great job at a gig alot of people wound envy.

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

I still have Madden '07 but have been hooked on God of War II and DragonballZ Tenkaichi Budakai 3 lately as far as playing goes. I just started computer classes and I'm still deciding if I will be strictly an IT tech or program writer. I got a ways to go yet but regrdless I'm finishing what I started 10 years ago. Here's a question for you Tim, where do you see the IT industry in the next 5-10 years, I should have my associates in the next year and 1/2, that's my foot in the door at least
            Last edited by metaldad; 02-20-2008, 09:08 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
              Here's a question for you Tim, where do you see the IT industry in the next 5-10 years
              There's been lots of talk about offshoring/outsourcing, but there's still a lot of stuff that can't be done that way. I personally think the future is as bright as it ever was.

Comment

• Kyle
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2006

There's been lots of talk about offshoring/outsourcing, but there's still a lot of stuff that can't be done that way. I personally think the future is as bright as it ever was.
                ya im in college for computers and plan on heading into the IT field and all ive herd is that there are many openings.
                ________
                WEB SHOWS
                Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Good to know on both points. I'm positive that technology based jobs are definitely the way to go. My instructor says it's better to to be an IT person cuz you're prety much well rounded.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

"back in the day", during out serious weight lifting, Jock dorms days - who would have thought that the pocket protector thick glass wearing computer geeks would rule.

Now they do and and they're cool. Anyone can lift weights, but it takes real brains to program a computer. I wish I had learned that sooner.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                      . My instructor says it's better to to be an IT person cuz you're prety much well rounded.
                      There's great oppty in both fields, IT and programming. Computers/networks/server/etc are certainly going to be around for the forseeable future, and software is needed to run on them.

I would suggest you figure out which interests you the most, and pursue that. Work is easy when you're doing something you enjoy.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...