• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillinPEI
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2008

What I learned this weekend

This is a newbie post...

Doing doubles is a great way to build up coordination to do alternating punches on the speed bag. Although I'm spazzing out a bit on some it comes better and better. Hopefully by the end of march I'm fast then I can try some of that fancy elbow and reverse roll stuff!

I put a 3/4 inch of plywood under my feet and what a difference 3/4's of an inch can make!

Here's a vid of my progress with a bonus at the end. Sorry about the water mark its a long story.

Thanks for the pointers!

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BillinPEI View Post
    This is a newbie post...

Doing doubles is a great way to build up coordination to do alternating punches on the speed bag. Although I'm spazzing out a bit on some it comes better and better. Hopefully by the end of march I'm fast then I can try some of that fancy elbow and reverse roll stuff!

I put a 3/4 inch of plywood under my feet and what a difference 3/4's of an inch can make!

Here's a vid of my progress with a bonus at the end. Sorry about the water mark its a long story.

Thanks for the pointers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7XDkTo6zfw
    Good video. Yes the 3/4 can make a difference and it looks like you need to raise up at least another inch or so, for you appear to be swinging upward to about your forehead level.

You don't have to be "fast" to do the fancy stuff with elbows or fist rolls. I'd rather you be "controlled", than fast. Going fast is really not the secret to increasing your combination level, learning to keep all the movements equal in (1) force and (2) distance of movement - will probably serve you better in the long run.

you're looking good. You and your little friend keep practicing!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillinPEI
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2008

Lower eh

If you think I should drop the platform I'll bring it down this weekend (I hope the screws aren't stripped) and give it a try.

I'll work on my doubles then the alternating then maybe a different combo what is the first trick you suggest?

I'm hanging a mini speed bag for my partner. I'll need another swivel and bag. But I have a huge bag and cheap swivel for her in the meantime. I'm getting kind of use to the small bag now but I'll try a 6x9 on my next order.
      Last edited by BillinPEI; 01-22-2008, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• roberthelpus
        • Dec 2007

Your little one is about where I am at after about a month

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by BillinPEI View Post
          If you think I should drop the platform I'll bring it down this weekend (I hope the screws aren't stripped) and give it a try.
          The camera angle might make the bag look higher than it is (shooting upwards from a chair maybe?)....I paused the video while the bag was almost vertical, and it didn't look to be too far off the mark. The belly of the bag (fattest part) should be at about mouth level. Hard to tell in that video where it's at. A larger bag might hang at the perfect height too. The reality of it is that if you have an 8x5 bag and then change to a 10x7 (as I do during my workouts), they're going to be at different heights assuming the platform isn't adjustable.

I'll work on my doubles then the alternating then maybe a different combo what is the first trick you suggest?
          Looks like you've got the FCP (Front Circle Punch) down quite well. Good job. You may want to try the FSP (Front Straight Punch) next: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/hitting_the_bag

This clip is the basic rythm - FSP ''' FCP - it's the foundation of Bible-style speed bag punching. I suggest you try for mastery of this next.
          Last edited by Tim; 01-22-2008, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• BillinPEI
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2008

Thanks for the direction

"This clip is the basic rythm - FSP ''' FCP - it's the foundation of Bible-style speed bag punching. I suggest you try for mastery of this next".
            I will work on the FSP / FCP after I get a little smoother I'll try an elbow.

I just ordered a 6x8 or 8x6 with Title and an extra swivel so my daughter can play on her own board. I won't change the hieght of my unit till I play with the new speed bag.

Late Christmas!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...