• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Midwest cold snap

Man I absolutely HATE winter!!!! When I was a kid I loved it but now not so much. The Midwest area is going through our annual arctic b!@#$ slap. This past weekend in the Chicago area, we hit wind chills close to -30 and anybody who was at the Green Bay /New York game got a nice dose of it(alot of flasks were snuck in I'm sure lol). Every year this weather screws with my momentum. I live in a condo and my garage where I keep my equipment is about a block distance from the back door. In winter this is a challenge that I always fail. I'm not idle though;lots of pushups, calisthetics and shadowboxing. i shadow box with weights and an innertube for resistance and that'a real good workout!! I've been doing the Perfect pushup workout and some of Matt Furey's suggested bodyweight excercises so I'm not completely idle. I do miss hitting the bags. I get in there when the weather permits. I got a spce heater but it takes too long to heat up especially on those minus 0 days.Thank God this is only temporary. A house with a basement is coming soon. If you live in the cold regions of the country what do you do?
    sigpic
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

It moved into the northeast a few days ago and its the norm for this time of the year, hang in there spring is commin...lol

Comment

• speedbag4life
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
      If you live in the cold regions of the country what do you do?
      If you're lucky enough to have the time, you just go. Just do it. If you want yourself to do it, just do it. It's only a block.

Not just making this up, I used to live where it's cold.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I feel for ya man, I'm just 2 hour south of you and I've been getting it too.

I hit the gym in the winter and I do a totally different workout than I do in the summer where I workout in my backyard and run around my neighborhood. In your 40's you can't afford to slack off for 3 or 4 months.

Comment

• roberthelpus
          • Dec 2007

In your 40's you can't afford to slack off for 3 or 4 months.
          In your 50's you can barely afford to slack off 3 or 4 days

My basement isn't that cold but it's not a lot of fun till ya get warmed up. Get warmed up before hand and plenty of easily removeable layers does the trick.

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
            I feel for ya man, I'm just 2 hour south of you and I've been getting it too.

I hit the gym in the winter and I do a totally different workout than I do in the summer where I workout in my backyard and run around my neighborhood. In your 40's you can't afford to slack off for 3 or 4 months.
            It's been a wind chill of -24 f in the western suburbs. How bad is it in Normal?
            sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
              If you're lucky enough to have the time, you just go. Just do it. If you want yourself to do it, just do it. It's only a block.

Not just making this up, I used to live where it's cold.
              I'll getthe gumption to get back out there and hit those bags. I'm supposed to be used to this! Hell I grew up here for cryin in the mud lol!
              sigpic

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

It's been a wind chill of -24 f in the western suburbs. How bad is it in Normal?
                We haven't seen double digits in 2 or 3 days. It has been below zero the last two mornings. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the high 30's. It's going to feel like a heat wave. You don't know how ironic it is for this Florida boy to say something like that.

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Man I absolutely HATE winter!!!! ..... If you live in the cold regions of the country what do you do?
                  Get your speed bag fix by chattering your teeth in the Triplet Rhythm...

(just kidding..)
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2006

Man I absolutely HATE winter!!!!
                    I second that im from canada and i think winter is the worst!!!
                    ________
                    Novana Residence Condos Pattaya
                    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

• speedbag4life
                      • Jun 2007

I'll getthe gumption to get back out there and hit those bags. I'm supposed to be used to this! Hell I grew up here for cryin in the mud lol!
                      Excellent. (Unless safety is a concern,) Don't let the Cold dictate your life. Don't let it beat you. You hate it, but you'd hate it even more if it kept you down. Hate it, beat it up, WIN!

Calisthenics can keep your bones from freezing until the space heater kicks in. Good suggestion from Roberthelpus, warm up and use plenty of layers, even on the legs. And like Mom said, wear a hat. When I had winters (Boston, wet-cold climate, speedbag in a drafty old unheated building with cracked windows and cinderblock walls), I always started with a hat. I'd take it off once I got too hot to keep it on. That's when you know you've beat the cold, when taking off your hat is a relief.

Go Get Your Gumption, Metaldad. Beat up the Cold, don't let it win.

Comment

• roberthelpus
                        • Dec 2007

A hat, yes. What is it %80 of... OK I looked it up. http://www.ec.gc.ca/EnviroZine/engli...uestions_e.cfm Or a tuque if your in Canada or half Canadian like me.

It just reminds me of my pops yellin' at the reporters and weatherfolks on the local news for not wearing a hat when they were doing their it-sure-is cold-out-here-reports. Funny, but he was right.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by roberthelpus View Post
                          A hat, yes. What is it %80 of... OK I looked it up. http://www.ec.gc.ca/EnviroZine/engli...uestions_e.cfm Or a tuque if your in Canada or half Canadian like me.

It just reminds me of my pops yellin' at the reporters and weatherfolks on the local news for not wearing a hat when they were doing their it-sure-is cold-out-here-reports. Funny, but he was right.
                          Many years ago (30+) I visited an ice climbing school around Mt. Rainer, Washington and the instructors were very emphatic about head covering, particular when spending the night or hunkering down through a blizzard.

Never made the climb, but it was a great experience to attend the classes.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

ya want ablizzard?head on up here to Chicago! we been gettin slammed the past week. It melts and then comes right back.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

ya want ablizzard?head on up here to Chicago! we been gettin slammed the past week. It melts and then comes right back.
                              I feel for ya, man. On the other hand, it was 73 in texas yesterday, and no funnels in sight. My heart goes out to the south today where Twisters wreaked havoc. Be greatful for what you have - for mother nature can claim it all in a minute.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...