• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2006

Platform on the porch

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to working with the speedbag but am enjoying it a lot since we got one mounted on the wall in the gym I belong to. It has been so much fun that I have been thinking of mounting one at the house. I don't have a convenient spot to mount one on the wall. So I have been thinking that I would like to suspend a platform from the beams on my back porch, which is of heavy wood construction. And I like the ability to be able to move around the bag as I'm hitting it. Does anyone have any experience that they could share with me about things to consider when doing this, or better yet pictures of an installation? The height of the beam is about 9 feet.
    Thanks,
    Nick
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Porch setup

Hi Nick

Welcome to the forum. Always glad to meet new speed bag enthusiasts.

Here are a few links to bags hung under a landing

Speed bags in a row1

speed bag row2

Pugilistica speed bag in ring

Obviously the landing here is lower than 9 feet, so you will have to figure out how to lower your board surface down. You may elect to do this with 4x4 studs or 2x6. I have not done this myself, so I can't exactly tell you how. But I would suggest you find the center of your board and attache the swivel, or at least drill the holes. It will be harder once the board is attached.

The rebound board does not have to be any particular shape. The bag will form it's own circle.

The idea to work the speed bag and "move around it" while punching is actually part of it's history. It only when on a wall (with one half of its footwork area removed..) when boxing training centers went more indoors, and gyms got smaller etc. Many old time boxing facilitites had various training rings with bags hung in the so the boxer could move all around it.

Good luck on your construction. I'd like to see a picture/video of it when your done and got it working.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
      Good luck on your construction. I'd like to see a picture/video of it when your done and got it working.
      Ditto! I'd like to see it as well.

Comment

• Nick
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2006

Porch platform

Thanks for the pics and the encouragement fellows. Yes I will take some pictures but it may be a few days as I have a lot of irons in the fire and I want to give it plenty of thought especially to getting the proper height and if it is possible to make it adjustable. One thing that I noticed from the pictures is that the bags appeared to be really high for the people using them. Is there a real need to adjust the bag height when using a larger i.e. longer bag?

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Nick
          Is there a real need to adjust the bag height when using a larger i.e. longer bag?
          In my opinion it depends on the range of bag size you use. I use either a 9x6 or an 8x5, no real need to adjust the height for the one inch difference, but if you sometines use a 12x10 and go down to an 8x5 on occasion I believe you would need some adjustability.

Comment

• Nick
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2006

platform height

Well I have the platform made and am putting some urethane on it. Will not get to work on the suspending part until Monday, but I have measured (and estimated) it's approximate placement. Right now I'm waiting on the swivel and the bag. The swivel is the all metal s hook that Speedbag recommends and the bag is the Top Contender 6x9 but I need to get these and find out the actual lengths to get the proper height. The way I figure it is if I have the height set to where a 5x8 would hang down to my nose that I could possibly go up to a 7x10 where that would be about even with my mouth and not need adjusting, which I think I would be satisfied with. This thing will be in a fixed state when finished and will not be adjustable.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Home Made Speed BAg

...This thing will be in a fixed state when finished and will not be adjustable.
              I suggest you set the belly of your LARGEST bag at the proper height. then a smaller bag will mean you have to "raise up", easily accomplished with a 4x4 plywood set on other wood,etc.

IF the faster/smaller bags are a little too high, then you can easily raise yourself up an inch or two to adjust for height. It is much more difficult to adjust "down lower" by spreading your legs or bending down to a bag that is too low.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Nick
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jun 2006

plstform completed

Well I just got done with my platform and am really happy with it. Speedbag, I did as you said and made it where the smaller bags will hang just a little higher. As I only have the one 6x9 right now I had to estimate it a bit but right now I'm satisfied. I'm having a problem posting the pictures, the forum wants URL and I only have them in the MY Pictures folder on my computer. Any tips on how to get them on here?
                Thanks,
                Nick

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Well I just got done with my platform and am really happy with it. Speedbag, I did as you said and made it where the smaller bags will hang just a little higher. As I only have the one 6x9 right now I had to estimate it a bit but right now I'm satisfied. I'm having a problem posting the pictures, the forum wants URL and I only have them in the MY Pictures folder on my computer. Any tips on how to get them on here?
                  Thanks,
                  Nick
                  I'll PM you my e-mail address, send them to me via e-mail and I'll post them, or you can upload them as attachments... it's the Paperclip icon when posting. There's also a lot of free web sites on the net that you can upload photos to... I can't recommend any of them though as I don't use them.
                  Last edited by Tim; 07-04-2006, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Nick
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2006

Pictures

I going to try and attach the pictures to this post.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Nice

Looks very solid.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speed bag on porch

That looks like expert craftsmanship. A gorgeous board and rock solid construction.

Super Job. I have a similiar porch, and may give this setup some thought.

( Maybe I do need a fourth speed bag unit in the house..... )
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

The drum is plywood?? Is it glued together or bolted ? How thick is it total ?

Comment

• Nick
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Tim
                            The drum is plywood?? Is it glued together or bolted ? How thick is it total ?
                            It is made out 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood. I layed it out so that I could get 3 of the largest diameter circles out of it and then I oriented the pieces then drilled and put about 20 screws in it. Then I took the screws out and coated the sides with glue and screwed and clamped it together. It's 2 1/16" thick and 31 3/4" across the flats.

Comment

• ryzies
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • May 2006

sexy...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...