• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • graham
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2006

Help me get set up

Hey everyone, I need a little help. Here's the deal. My old gym used to have a speed bag and I would do it everyday and got pretty good at it and started to love it. Then I went away to school, switched gyms, and realized I haven't speed bagged for two or more years!

So, I resolved to purchase a platform and a bag and mount it to the wall of my dorm room when I go back to school in a few weeks. This is where you guys come in.

I searched on Amazon.com to find a platform with necessary mounting brackets. It looks like they range from 50$-1000$. Here's the link:

So I'm wondering what the difference is between a 60$ platform like an "Everlast Deluxe Speed Bag Platform" and a 200$ "Balazs i-Box Speed Bag Platform". I'm definately not gonna drop over 200$ so I don't really care what $1000 will get me! Basically, I'm wondering if the Balazs i-box is worth spending the extra 130 for. I do plan on having it for a while, but will there be a noticeable difference between that and the crappy everlast platform?

Also, whats a good bag to get?

And finally, any other advice in getting set up?
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I haven't used either so I can't comment specifically, but here's some general thoughts.

The Everlast isn't height adjustable - how many different bag sizes will you be using? Or are you sharing this with someone significantly taller/shorter than you? (You can always mount it at the highest point necessary and stand on something - like an aerobic step, etc. when using a smaller bag). Having the bag belly at chin level is pretty important and obviously a 12x10 bag is going to have to be hung higher than an 8 x 5 or 6 x 4.

Keep in mind that when you mount either unit to the wall, everyone within a 15 room radius is going to know everytime you are hitting the speedbag - and they may not like it. One of the reasons I don't have a wall mounted unit right now is because my wife didn't like hearing what sounded "like a helicopter landing on the roof" when ever I was hitting the bag hard and fast.

Maybe you can persuade the school to add a speed bag to their gym? They would cost you nothing and keep your neighbors on the friendly side.

For what it is worth, I made much progress on this model (which was $60 or $70 at the time I bought it):

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by graham
      Also, whats a good bag to get?
      I love the Title bags. They are reasonably priced, well made, and won't tear up your hands if you hit gloveless.

Comment

• graham
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jul 2006

thanks guys,

i'm not too worried about the people in the other room because I figure I'll just use it during the day when everyone is up and about.

also, I'm the RA for the floor, so who are they gonna complain to? me? ah hah ha ha

ok but seriously, i appreciate the input. thanks

Is that a single drum, Tim?

And whats the low down on the bags? I checked out the link you gave me... whats a good size?
        Last edited by graham; 07-07-2006, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• nowheredesign
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2006

Good luck and welcome!

The difference (as I have learned) is VIBRATION..

Right now, I have a $60 dollar Gold's wall mounted platform. Should you choose to start out with this kind of platform, don't fret, but do expect a strong desire to replace it with a better platform when your skill improves (if you practice every day, you will become pretty good within about 30 days.)

Because I don't have the money to buy the platform I want , I spent 8 bucks for 100 pounds of play sand and stacked the bags on top of the platform. It works OK; but I am getting much better and the vibration, however lessened, really gets on my nerves.

Last, I agree about the title bags. They're really versitile and comfy. Right now, I am using an Everlast Pro bag, which is great as well.

'Hope that helps. Good luck and welcome to the forum

:::

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by graham
            And whats the low down on the bags? I checked out the link you gave me... whats a good size?
            I think 10x7 is a good beginner size, easy to keep under control. 9x6 and 8x5 aren't really that hard to adjust to though...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...