• Show
Clear All
  • webstixdev
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2009

Problem NO Sound in MAC Firefox

Hi!

I have downloaded latest version of the Online timer.zip from
    http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.zip and extracted to a folder.

I tried to access the path of the folder through URL, Online timer worked perfect in Windows FIREFOX 3.0.6, IE6,IE7. Thanks a lot! but I can't hear sound in Mac Firefox. It is working fine in mac Safari . I can't figure out where it is going wrong. Please do help me with this issue.

Technical Description.
    Mac Version: OS X 10.4
    Firefox Version: 3.0.1

Eagerly waiting for your response
    WEBSTIX-DEV
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I'm not sure what might be wrong. I also have Mac OS X 10.4 , but using FireFox 3.0.6. It works ok for me, from the zip file.

When you unzipped all the files, can you confirm that all the audio files (.wav) were unzipped as well? Also are you opening the timer.html file?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

Comment

• webstixdev
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2009

Files and sound are in different folder

Thanks for you great Response.
      Let me Explain my scenario in detail.
      My Requirement
      1. I need to place the sound files in folder say "media".
      2. I need to place the html and js file in other folder say "timer"

media folder is in root say if my site name www.example.com then i will place my media files in www.example.com/media

timer folder is inside the site say

I need to call my media files for sound, what i did is just place the sound files in root(base) . The code recognized the sound files and played the sound in almost every browser but not in Mac Firefox.

Hope I have explained my Problem in detail.

Please Help me.
      Webstix-DEV

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Ok, you are trying to re-use it on another site. Sorry, I can't help in that case, my policy is to require a fee for re-use. You can PM me if you are interested.

Please see here:
        Announcements, Q&amp;A, and technical support for the <a href="http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer.html">online workout timer</a>, a free timer for martial arts, boxing, speed bag, tabata, crossfit and many other things requiring a timer!

Comment

• webstixdev
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2009

Still There is an Issue.

We have bought a License to add timer into our site. We are having problems in the Timer scripts, the problem is that we could not here the sound of the timer only in Mac Firefox.

Let me Explain the scenario in detail.
          Requirement:
          1. We need to place the sound files in folder say "media".
          2. We need to place the html and js file in other folder say "timer"

For example if the domain name is "www.domainname.com" then path for the media and timer folder is "www.domainname.com/media" and "www.domainname.com/timer" respectively.

In other words, instead of having all the files in a single folder say "timer". we need to have hierarchy and we need to play a sound file using path and not calling the sound file directly from the root folder.

Please let us know about this ASAP.

Thanks
          Webstix-DEV
          Last edited by webstixdev; 03-17-2009, 05:45 AM. Reason: Changes in explanation

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Hi, I will look into this tonight and get you an answer.

Tim

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by webstixdev View Post
              We have bought a License to add timer into our site. We are having problems in the Timer scripts, the problem is that we could not here the sound of the timer only in Mac Firefox.

Let me Explain the scenario in detail.
              Requirement:
              1. We need to place the sound files in folder say "media".
              2. We need to place the html and js file in other folder say "timer"

For example if the domain name is "www.domainname.com" then path for the media and timer folder is "www.domainname.com/media" and "www.domainname.com/timer" respectively.

In other words, instead of having all the files in a single folder say "timer". we need to have hierarchy and we need to play a sound file using path and not calling the sound file directly from the root folder.

Please let us know about this ASAP.

Thanks
              Webstix-DEV
              Change the embed2-6.js file as follows:

(add ../media/ to the front of each SRC attribute). I've confirmed this works in FireFox mac.

If you have more questions PM me your e-mail address.

document.write('<embed style="height:1; width:1;" src="../media/bell1.wav" autostart="false" id="bell1.wav" enablejavascript="true"/>');
              document.write('<embed style="height:1; width:1;" src="../media/buzzer3_x.wav" autostart="false" id="buzzer3_x.wav" enablejavascript="true"/>');
              document.write('<embed style="height:1; width:1;" src="../media/buzzer_x.wav" autostart="false" id="buzzer_x.wav" enablejavascript="true"/>');
              document.write('<embed style="height:1; width:1;" src="../media/click_x.wav" autostart="false" id="click_x.wav" enablejavascript="true"/>');
              document.write('<embed style="height:1; width:1;" src="../media/short1.wav" autostart="false" id="short1.wav" enablejavascript="true"/>');
              document.write('<embed style="height:1; width:1;" src="../media/short2.wav" autostart="false" id="short2.wav" enablejavascript="true"/>');

Comment

• webstixdev
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Feb 2009

Still there is problem

Hi!
                Thank you for your code. I really appreciate your Help. The code works in all browser but not in MAC firefox. Let me explain the whole process again. I have built my site in Joomla1.5 and I am trying to incorporate the Online timer as component. I am successful in almost every browser but not in Mac Firefox. Please help me to solve this. You can ask me any technical question regarding Joomla and component conversion.

Thanks
                -Ram
                Last edited by webstixdev; 03-30-2009, 11:22 PM. Reason: change in words

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Can you zip up your HTML and send to me? I really can't say what might be wrong without seeing the source code.

Comment

• webstixdev
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Feb 2009

Still no answer!

Hi!

We are desperately waiting for your reply for the Sound issue in the Firefox browser in MAC. We are waiting to Launch our site, once you give us a solution. To remind you Lemme explain the problem. Using your Timer.zip we have converted it into a joomla component. It worked Perfect in almost every browser But not in MAC Firefox Sound is not working. We have tried Hard to understand what went wrong. Some ideas or some thoughts about the problem will be very helpful and We have mailed you the ZIP and Hope you have understood the Problem.

Please Help us!

Webstix-DEV

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Webstix,
                      I sent the following reply (via e-mail) to the programming e-mail address on April 8th:

"Thanks, that helped. I am able to duplicate the problem using FireFox 3 Mac. I see that it works fine with Safari. Unfortunately, it seems to be a browser specific bug with FireFox Mac (I do not have Windows so I didn't test with that). I don't know of a work around. Have you searched the web for any similar problems? I did but was not able to find any."

I think it is an obscure browser bug, or but with quicktime maybe. At any rate, I tried some workarounds, but could not get it to work. I do not know how this problem can be resolved. The sounds work fine on FF3 Mac on the regular timer page, but there must be a subtle difference in the Joomla implementation that makes a difference, unfortunately, I could not figure out what that difference is.

Tim

Comment

• webstixdev
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Feb 2009

Have you found any solution

Hi! TIM,

I know it is some wired behavior of browser, But is there any possible ways or a idea or a place where i can manipulate the code for making it working. Please Give me some thoughts. We are waiting for this.. This put us in a very bad shape. Please Do help.

Waiting for Your response
                        Webstix-DEV

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

webstix, I actually worked on it for a very long time on my laptop with Joomla ... I tried everything I could think of , making the path shorter, putting the audio in the root directory, etc. etc. ,but could not get it to play. I never encountered any problems like this in the original timer, so I don't really know what a workaround would be, and I couldn't come up with any add'l ideas.

You could try an alterantive mechanism for playing sounds in FireFox Mac, such as the javascript shown here:

function soundPlay(which)
                          {
                          if (!soundEmbed)
                          {
                          soundEmbed = document.createElement("embed");
                          soundEmbed.setAttribute("src", "/snd/"+which+".wav");
                          soundEmbed.setAttribute("hidden", true);
                          soundEmbed.setAttribute("autostart", true);
                          }
                          else
                          {
                          document.body.removeChild(soundEmbed);
                          soundEmbed.removed = true;
                          soundEmbed = null;
                          }
                          soundEmbed.removed = false;
                          document.body.appendChild(soundEmbed);
                          }
                          I found the above snippet here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...rom-javascript

Comment

• webstixdev
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Feb 2009

Please Help me

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            webstix, I actually worked on it for a very long time on my laptop with Joomla ... I tried everything I could think of , making the path shorter, putting the audio in the root directory, etc. etc. ,but could not get it to play. I never encountered any problems like this in the original timer, so I don't really know what a workaround would be, and I couldn't come up with any add'l ideas.

You could try an alterantive mechanism for playing sounds in FireFox Mac, such as the javascript shown here:

function soundPlay(which)
                            {
                            if (!soundEmbed)
                            {
                            }
                            else
                            {
                            document.body.removeChild(soundEmbed);
                            soundEmbed.removed = true;
                            soundEmbed = null;
                            }
                            soundEmbed.removed = false;
                            document.body.appendChild(soundEmbed);
                            }
                            I found the above snippet here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...rom-javascript
                            I know there was a long gap between our conversion, Have you got any solution for our problem. I tried this code but it is not working for me.
                            Help me to solve this.
                            -Webstix-Dev

Comment

• dancingeek
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Feb 2010

Likely fix for many issues

Hello Tim,

I greatly appreciate your timer. I worked through some problems with it on Linux that might help this gentleman here. There is a very simple fix for some issues experienced with sound on non Windows/IE platforms. It is a matter of case sensitivity. Several of your wav files start off with a capital letter, ie "Gong.wav" while their counterparts in the javascript files are all lower case, ie "gong.wav."

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...