• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRightHand
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2011

Ready for first platform- need help.

Hello everybody,
    I have observed this forum for quite some time and enjoy learning as much as possible about speed bagging. I believe that I am ready to purchase a platform. The area where the speed bag will be has walls that are only 6 feet 6 inches tall. I am about 5'9-5'10 and want to bounce around a little for cardio when I am hitting the bag. This means I will need a speed bag platform that is very economical and does not have much overhead. I have done some research and believe that these 3 platforms are the best options moving forward:
    1) Balazs Ibox- I have seen this mentioned many times on the forum but am a bit concerned that Balazs has banners on this site and is an advertising partner.

2) Everlast Everlast Pro Speed Bag Platform- ( http://www.ringside.com/Everlast-Eve...info/EVSBPLAT/ ) I have yet to see this speedbag platform mentioned on this site- it looks very study with the V design and appears to take up very little space- adjust-ability is not a big deal to me since i just need to get it as high as possible and I will be the main user. Does anyone have experience with the bag?

3) Lastly the Everlast Elite Adjustable Speed Bag Platform seems to be very popular and well liked. I am concerned that even at the highest setting it will not be good for such a short wall.

If anyone has any experience with these platforms or has a recommendation I would love to hear your opinions. Sorry for such a long post, this is a big purchase. I am not opposed to spending on the Balazs but I need to make sure that the highest setting will provide ample room for me to bounce around and hit the Speedbag. I am a beginner and want to use it mainly for boxing training, but who knows- maybe i will want to do fancy tricks in the future. Thank you.
  • larted
    • Mar 2009

HRH,
    Welcome. I have a Balazs and I think it can not be beat for the money. There are so many platforms and I did my research before buying. I started with an Everlast adjustable. It worked until I wanted something better and I bought the I-box. Good baggers can hit on anything. The best one I've seen is the restored platform that Zaza has.(look it up in the post). I measured my I-box and I don't think it will work in your location. You need about 71/2 feet at your height. Making a platform is not that hard and would work well for you. Also mounting it to the overhead makes it stronger. lowes sells a table round that would work.
    Larry

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

I have an iBox mounted on a 7'3" porch wall, I'm 6'1" on a good day, and I can only hit the smaller bags on that particular platform, even at its maximum height. But I goofed, I could have mounted it another inch and a half higher to get a little more room for a slightly bigger bag.

I would think adjustability is not a major concern for your tight quarters. I have no where to go but down in adjustment with my back porch set-up, so a fixed platform would have worked as well.

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

My first is in the basement and the height down there was 6' 4", so I had to build down from the joist to the height I needed. Here's the thread & pictures. It was cheap and easy..and works great. Solid as a rock!

Then, I found this baby on Craigslist and had to restore it and give it a new home!

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
          My first is in the basement and the height down there was 6' 4", so I had to build down from the joist to the height I needed. Here's the thread & pictures. It was cheap and easy..and works great. Solid as a rock!
          I'm with Zaza, rock solid and on the cheap is a great combination.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by HardRightHand View Post
            Hello everybody,
            I have observed this forum for quite some time and enjoy learning as much as possible about speed bagging. I believe that I am ready to purchase a platform. The area where the speed bag will be has walls that are only 6 feet 6 inches tall. I am about 5'9-5'10 and want to bounce around a little for cardio when I am hitting the bag. This means I will need a speed bag platform that is very economical and does not have much overhead. I have done some research and believe that these 3 platforms are the best options moving forward:
            Welcome to the forum!

1) Balazs Ibox- I have seen this mentioned many times on the forum but am a bit concerned that Balazs has banners on this site and is an advertising partner.
            Balazs i-Box is the best platform if you can spend $229. It looks nice, is built like a tank, it can be used with NO weight on top, and is adjustable.

While it is true that there is a Balazs banner on this website, they don't pay to advertise, nor did they even ask to have a banner on the site. They are a very good supporter of our annual event (SPEED B.A.G. 2010 and SPEED B.A.G. II) so I added the banner to thank them for that. Nobody associated with the forum (including myself) receive any sort of monetary or non-monetary compensation from them for our recommendations. Most recently at SPEED B.A.G. II they donated 3 i-Box platforms for a charity auction, which helped raise $1,341 for a charity local to NJ. They also loaned us > $2,000 worth of speed bag platforms to use, which were returned to them. The amount of support they have shown the event is FAR in excess of what any other vendor has, including the "big" name in the game.

The facts are that Balazs makes the best platforms - no contest and they are fantastic supporters of the community.

2) Everlast Everlast Pro Speed Bag Platform- ( http://www.ringside.com/Everlast-Eve...info/EVSBPLAT/ ) I have yet to see this speedbag platform mentioned on this site- it looks very study with the V design and appears to take up very little space- adjust-ability is not a big deal to me since i just need to get it as high as possible and I will be the main user. Does anyone have experience with the bag?
            Not a bad platform, in the past I had one that was very similar. The only mark against it really is the complete lack of adjustment. I like to punch on bags sized from 6x4 to 9x6 and that range requires some sort of vertical adjustment to keep the bag at the right height, a 6x4 is just so much shorter than a 9x6.

That bag is utter rubbish. No other way to put it unfortunately. It likely won't last more than 6 months either.

3) Lastly the Everlast Elite Adjustable Speed Bag Platform seems to be very popular and well liked. I am concerned that even at the highest setting it will not be good for such a short wall.
            If you are on a small budget I'd recommend this one over the EVSBPLAT above (provided it fits). It's not a bad platform. It is nowhere near as nice as the i-Box though and will shake a vibrate more. The quality tends to be all over the map as well.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by HardRightHand View Post
              Hello everybody,

If anyone has any experience with these platforms or has a recommendation I would love to hear your opinions. Sorry for such a long post, this is a big purchase. I am not opposed to spending on the Balazs but I need to make sure that the highest setting will provide ample room for me to bounce around and hit the Speedbag. I am a beginner and want to use it mainly for boxing training, but who knows- maybe i will want to do fancy tricks in the future. Thank you.
              I have notice that the board is usually a couple inches over the baggers head, so at 5'10" your board should be about 6' at least. Probably want to design it for a longer, big bag which will need the board at it's highest. This way you can move around, punch harder for the big bag. For shorter bags add mats to the floor. Is this the basement with an unfinished ceiling? If so build a fixed mount off of the joist. I've heard that Lowes has table tops that work for platforms or you may look for an old hard wood table at thrift shops or Salvation Army. See the link from another poster on his design or forum member Jump Cannon has mounted from a ceiling. The noise will transfer to the upstairs room. If possible go to a gym with the big bag you use and figure out the best height and design from there. Boxers vs speed baggers may want the board at different heights. Good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

• ExEODCDR
                • Apr 2011

If you're handy and have a few basic tools you can build your own on the cheap and save the cash for buying more speedbags! Mount on some solid studs, grab a couple of XL ziplock bags and fill with sand to place on top, little to no vibrations... good to go!
                -
                Owner/Operator
                www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...