• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Changing Title Bladders

Hello all, I’ve determined I prefer the orange title bladders to the black bladders. I recently dismantled a classic title bag in the hopes of swapping bladders. I found that the stock black bladder was glued extremely soundly around the inside leather nipple ring. After some time fiddling with it I figured I may damage the bag if I used the force necessary to separate the bladder from the ring. I now have a Title Black 2.0 that came with black bladder. I’m planning on replacing that as well. Is there a trick to removing the bladders without damaging the bags?

Thanks
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

It should be just glued in with contact cement. You have to get your fingers down to the valve area, and gently start working the reinforced area around the valve. Resist the urge to pull up on it right away. Patience is the word of the day. Work it left to right, you should start being able to move your fingers closer to the nipple as you do that, and it will separate from the bottom of the bag. I have seen bags where the bladder has a canvas reinforced ring that is actually on the valve (not attached to the bladder itself) and is stitched to the bottom of the bag. Those you have to snip the stitches before you attempt to remove the bladder. This is not the case with the Title bags that I've seen.

Comment

• COOP
      • Mar 2018

I had to snip the stitches on my two title super speed bags when I replaced the bladders with everlast ones, as Dutchman advised. There is a YouTube video by Title sports on replacing a bladder. Google "how to replace a speed bag bladder and double end bladder - Title Boxing

Comment

• morphiusrt
        • Mar 2019

I had to cut the glue off of one of mine because it was on there. Used a sharp razor. It helps if you have someone to hold the bladder well you cut the glue.

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jun 2019

Thanks for the tips. I watched that video first thing ZaZa, it’s awesome. Im about to start messing with it again with a cheap bag. I’m getting stuck separating the bladder from the inside ring it’s glued to. It’s not peeling off easy like the video. Some spots I’m damaging the ring slightly. I’m going to massage it for a bit and see if it loosens up. I see that the inside ring is stitched in. Would it be so bad just to snip that ring out and just install the new bladder without gluing it to a ring?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
              Thanks for the tips. I watched that video first thing ZaZa, it’s awesome. Im about to start messing with it again with a cheap bag. I’m getting stuck separating the bladder from the inside ring it’s glued to. It’s not peeling off easy like the video. Some spots I’m damaging the ring slightly. I’m going to massage it for a bit and see if it loosens up. I see that the inside ring is stitched in. Would it be so bad just to snip that ring out and just install the new bladder without gluing it to a ring?
              Take your time and get it separated...they usually use rubber cement because it holds the valve in place, but you can easily remove it. It does look like they used contact cement which is much more permanent.
              Once it's out, you don't HAVE to glue the valve in place...BUT...if you don't and the bag becomes too deflated (in storage), the valve can slip inside the bag and it's really hard to find it again without opening the bag.

I would not cut the part out of the bag....
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                Take your time and get it separated...they usually use rubber cement because it holds the valve in place, but you can easily remove it. It does look like they used contact cement which is much more permanent.
                Once it's out, you don't HAVE to glue the valve in place...BUT...if you don't and the bag becomes too deflated (in storage), the valve can slip inside the bag and it's really hard to find it again without opening the bag.

I would not cut the part out of the bag....
                I took my time, massaged it tenderly. Even lit a few candles, played some Al Green to set the mood. After about 20 minutes of TLC (longer than usual for me) the glue loosened up and the bladder was freed. I took your advice and used just a few drops of glue around the ring to keep the valve centered when deflated.

First surgery successful...thanks again everyone! I’m sure more questions to come.

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

Ask any time, that's what we're here for

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...