• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

2001 - A Speed Bag Odyssey

Several of you have PM'd me as I was approaching post #2000. Well, this was post 2,001. it has been a Space Odyssey of sorts and perhaps a milestone. First, let me say this forum is not, and has never been, about me. It is about US and our love for all things speed bag. It is also about this unique band of baggers that come and join. Some stay, some cruise, some post and probably much more lurk, but no matter - We are here, and this forum works because EVERYONE makes a contribution. I wrote The Speed Bag Bible in hopes that some folks that loved the speed bag, lurking somewhere around the world, would want a program dedicated to them, that could teach them more than they knew. I really believed they were out there. That desire didn't start with me, there were many before, such as Showtime Johnny Pal, my coach Roy Schroeder, Ernie Oriente, George Kam, etc., personally teaching well before I did. I just completed my own dream of it by putting it in writing. That was before the massive expansion of the 'net, and youtube, and a forum like this.

Now, over the course of the past 2000 posts, I have met some of THE BEST PEOPLE in the world, the BEST BAGGERS in the world, and have lived to see others doing things (combinations..) on the speed bag I never imagined, at speeds far beyond mine, and those with Punch Drumming skills that have me clapping and screaming for more. Several members will soon be laying down punch drumming tracks and performances that will also find me in their rear views. It's not hard to see that coming or understand why. Jack Nicholas smiled and winked as Tiger Woods passed him by, just as my teacher smiled with a nod as I passed him by. That's fine with me, and the natural order of things. Every teacher prays that one of his own may eclipse them and carry their teachings foreward. I can sleep well knowing that is happening, and it has been an honor to read and type among you. I hope some of it has been instructive, or at least the reading of it a cure for your insomnia.

Think a moment what the posts on this forum has done for us all. It's bringing many of us together, Personally - inside the legendary Speed Bag Truck at Foreigner concerts, inside the House of Blues, inside boxing gyms, our own garages and perhaps to a grand gathering in one location. It's bringing the speed baggers OF THE WORLD together. We've got members and friends throughout the USA, Europe, England, Asia, Australia, China and points beyond. We're sharing pictures of our kids and lives. We're sending each other equipment. We've got Spoofers, Punch drummers, Real Drummers, Psycho baggers, Skunks, Godzilla's, Dogtokes, Ph.Ds, M.D. Engineers, scuba divers, Tatoo artists, and probably a partridge in a pear tree lurking under a keyboard somewhere. Is that great or what??

I have gained many things from my nightly visits here, most importantly the sense of Belonging - being one with a group who either DO understand why we're here and want to learn the ways of the bag. For those that want to learn I have typed long and hard on occassion, and perhaps obsessively, but I confess I have never been one for moderation. I really believe everyone can learn, or at least understand how the bag works, or some technique or combo.. IF they can just hear or read an explanation they can understand.

But I just wanted to thank you all for making this forum what it is. Tim for handling the forum as he does, Always online and quietly eliminating the spam and junk behind the scenes that reduces most forums to crap. The video posters for taking the shot to bare it all and post your vids for review, and the forum members for keeping their comments respectful, insightful, hopeful and spam free. Many have learned much because of "our" efforts, and I'm hoping my next 2000 will be as fun as these past ones have been.

OK. thanks for reading. Now get back under your board....
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • The Baggist
    Vert Baggin' Master
    • May 2009

BRAVO ALAN!!!!! The SPEED BAG FORUM might not be all about you ALAN but there would be a huge unfillable void if you weren't here!!! That's 2001 posts of knowledge, positivity, and friendship that is priceless!!!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Here here to 2001 posts!!

Ok.... so I already typed all this and then lost it as the connection dropped for 30 minutes on the tour bus.. so here is, to the best of memory, what I just typed......
      ===============================================
      Wow! Yeah!
      Ok, so as I cruise on our tour bus from Indiana, PA, to NYC, I say good night and I love you to my girls in CA on the phone, I finish reading Speedbag's 2001 post and "Dust In The Wind" comes on my iTunes!
      (Well, I won't get all heavy with that. I'll stop yet add the humor later.)
      Hey AK! Thanks for the 2001 posts! Yes, you are an obsessive poster, but we would have it no other way. You are the guy, the Bagger Supreme, Lord Of The Bags, Chairman Of The Board (cred. to Bif for coining that) we all wait to get a response from. Someone needs to be that guy, and I am glad you are him!
      It has been a lot of fun to be able to go from seeing Alan, Skunk, Tim, Dee Pooler and many others on youtube bagging up a storm and then to befriend and hang with many of the same people I would watch as a fan!
      How cool it has been to get into an art form, if you will, after all this time of being interested. I do wish I had started years ago, but now is better than later.
      I think we all pretty much will give it up to Alan as the man that rose the bar and set the standard to which we all strive to touch on!
      So, with all this said, there IS only thing one left to say.......

"ALL WE ARE IS BAGS IN THE WIND!'

Thanks Alan!
      BAG ON!
      Last edited by spinsmashpop; 09-30-2009, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
        "ALL WE ARE IS BAGS IN THE WIND!'
        Thanks Alan!
        BAG ON!
        Priceless! Now THAT'S a cool phrase!

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2006

well put alan and ill do my best to make the next 2000 just as great...hahaha

Comment

• goju
            • Aug 2009

Thats alot of post and alot of knowledge passed on. Nice one Alan

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

2001 - A Speed Bag Odyssey

One of the coolest thread titles ever!

Comment

• Biff
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Congrats, Alan on the 2K milestone. But that pales in comparison to the help, instruction, insight, encouragement, dedication, and inspiration you have provided not only to the members here at SBF, but to the entire Internet speed bag community. I know that there have been others before you; and you speak of them with respect and admiration. And they deserve everyone’s respect and admiration for their contributions to the art of speed bagging.

However, YOU took the time (and financial gamble) to write the definitive book on speed bagging, which I’m sure took a few years time from inception to publication. You recorded hours upon hours of VHS tape to produce your now DVD series. If that’s not dedication to bagging, what is?

You have been fortunate enough to blaze the path during the “digital era” also. When you say, "…and have lived to see others doing things (combinations..) on the speed bag I never imagined, at speeds far beyond mine, and those with Punch Drumming skills that have me clapping and screaming for more”, it is because of your dedication, hard work, and enthusiasm using a medium (the Internet) that allows you to spread the word about the bag.

Someone records a video, uploads it to YouTube and in a matter of minutes, has immediate feed back. Most people are gracious with their comments and helpful with their suggestions, but you take the time to analyze, critique, suggest, and often times type out the routine in SBB shorthand. You even have recorded videos to demonstrate the techniques in question. THAT is dedication and real ambassadorship.

I can safely say that if not for you, many of the greats, and soon-to-be greats here on the forum, would be light years away from their current skill levels.

So Alan, here’s to your 2000th post. And to 20,000 more. I think I speak for all the members here when I say, “Thank you, for all your help.”

I can’t finish without mentioning Tim Platt, whose foresight and technical skills, created this forum, to provide an environment where those that desire to become proficient with speed bag techniques and combinations can share information and interact with other enthusiasts. Because without the forum, we would not have AK’s 2000 posts to celebrate!

And BT, just for the record it’s “Chairman Under the Board.” I wanted something original!!

Bif

Comment

• fingers
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • May 2008

Alan you are a gentleman!!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    And BT, just for the record it’s “Chairman Under the Board.” I wanted something original!!

Bif
                    Yes, I stand corrected!

And regarding Alan Kahn. Yes, without his effort, we wouldn't have had the SBB or DVD to learn from. Even more simply, his you tube vid clips. That stuff travels fast. Speed bagging over the past few years all goes back to Alan. Skunk was shown a clip of Alan it changed him forever. Then Skunk turns tons of people on to the bag, and it goes from there.
                    Without Alan, a lot of us would be hitting the basics only. At 10 years old I saw my friend's mom hit the bag they had in their basement with her elbow one time. I was blown away! But that's as far as it went for me.
                    BAG ON!

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

Alan,
                      Congrats on the milestone!! Thank you so much for all the insight, lessons and overall friendship here in the forum. I'm definitely looking forward to more critiques from you as my skills improve. You are the man, The Master, The Ultimate Bagger. Through you I have learned about so many other top notch baggers: Skunk, JohnnyShowtime Pal, DeePooler, Scissorhands and of course Spinsmash! Looking forward to more from you and Oct 29, 31 are coming fast! See you then!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

The thing that really makes this odyssey so special is that it has been about the sharing of information and skills. Everyone here has something to contribute, and does so willingly. I feel so very privileged to be a minute part of this community.

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                          • Sep 2009

You write well, Alan. I've done alot of reading so I know.

Comment

• atgatt
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Alan, you're not just a great example about the joys of baggin', but also of attitude and heart.

Many of us visit other forums for different aspects of our lives, but this forum certainly ranks up there with the best because the people on it also have a great heart and attitude.

I can't do the fancy hits like you all do due to a rebuilt shoulder, but I could hit straight with no problem, and that's still baggin'. OK, it's wimp baggin' in comparison to you all but I still love watching what you all can do though. It's art in motion.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                              Alan, you're not just a great example about the joys of baggin', but also of attitude and heart.

Many of us visit other forums for different aspects of our lives, but this forum certainly ranks up there with the best because the people on it also have a great heart and attitude.

I can't do the fancy hits like you all do due to a rebuilt shoulder, but I could hit straight with no problem, and that's still baggin'. OK, it's wimp baggin' in comparison to you all but I still love watching what you all can do though. It's art in motion.
                              There is nothing "wimpy" about hitting straight from the front. Any man (or woman) that strives to be the best they can, regardless of - or inspite of - personal or physical adversity (rebuilt shoulder..) is NO WIMP. We've seen your Robotic Boxer, we've seen your passion and participation on this board, and I pity the fool that calls you a wimp. NO true bagger, especially a member of this forum, would judge you a wimp on the bag. Hit it straight and hit it slow - it doesn't matter. Some of us are faster than others, some of us can do a few more combinations from different areas than others - but that does not make one "wimpy".
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...