• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Just ordered an I-box

I recently moved to another house and tried last night to install my indoor set up. I have one of the Everlast cheapie sets that I use for indoors. I've done some upgrades on it like making a new drum, replacing the swivel and adding a sandbag on top to reduce the vibration, but you can only polish a turd so much, right?

Well, it worked okay, but since the ceiling in my new house is much lower in the basement, I would not be able to get the drum as high as I'd like to use my larger bags. After pondering where else I could possibly mount the setup indoors, I remembered that the I-Box series would allow me to not only adjust the height much easier, the design is such that I don't need higher ceilings to get the drum at an acceptable level unlike the other designs.

Obviously, I plan on putting my homemade drum on the new I-box, not only because my drum is larger, I just think it will be better than what ships with it. I can't really tell, but the drum on the I-box looks like really thick MDF. Can anyone comment on what the material is?

Here's the link to the discussion where I have pictures of the drum and my old setup: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=111

I've heard nothing but great things about the I-Box and hope that I am as happy with my new setup as other posters here have been.

Here's a link to the I-box: http://www.balazsboxing.com/cgi-bin/...page&page=home
    Last edited by Chris M; 09-06-2006, 12:09 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I-Box

I too have heard great things about the I-BOX system, and Balazs is planning some new promotions featuring this line.

My only concern is the swivel. The frame meets right over the center of the board, and I don't see how you could drill your swivel holes all the way through to bolt the swivel. I imagine a skilled carpenter could countersink the washer and nut into the top of the drum, under the frame, but that means taking the board off if you want to change swivels. and

I just don't trust the small screws that come with swivels. I have had zero luck getting them to last over time. Especially with larger bags and hard hitters.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      I too have heard great things about the I-BOX system, and Balazs is planning some new promotions featuring this line.

My only concern is the swivel. The frame meets right over the center of the board, and I don't see how you could drill your swivel holes all the way through to bolt the swivel. I imagine a skilled carpenter could countersink the washer and nut into the top of the drum, under the frame, but that means taking the board off if you want to change swivels. and

I just don't trust the small screws that come with swivels. I have had zero luck getting them to last over time. Especially with larger bags and hard hitters.
      I also have concerns with that and what I plan on doing is getting a long bit and drilling all the way through the top I-beams if I have to. I'll get long bolts and nuts to go all the way through the top.

It would be very easy to countersink the bolts in the top of the drum, but I think I prefer going through the top if needed. So what if it doesn't look perfect? If that's what it takes to bolt all the way through, I'll do that. I'm just kind of leery of having the bolts stick out near the swivel. I guess I could get bolts that are just the right length. I do have countersink bits in a variety of sizes. I'll have to look at it when I get it. I'll take pictures and will post them when I have it all set up with my home-made drum.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I was just looking at the I-box pictures and realized the 24" drum in the picture is mounted very close to the brackets.

That means I'm going to have to offset my larger drum and the center of my drum will not be directly under where the two beams converge, in other words, the swivel will not be under the bottom of the "V".

This should eliminate the problem of having to drill through the beams. I hope it doesn't cause any vibration problems because now the center of my drum will be 4" out from where it was designed to be.

My drum is 32" in diamater, so if I mount the center offset, it should be 4" away from the back wall since there is 8" difference between the diameters.

Right???

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I-Box

My wife is a math teacher and she said that sounds right

My own carpentry skills are highly suspect. That is one of the reasons why I stayed in school.....

But I did solve the wierd vibration sounds in my own Primefighter SKU-400 board by placing neoprene runners under the steel framing that the board attaches to. Now a thin strip of neopreme lies squeezed between my board and the hanging brackets. That seems to have eliminated the annoying "hum" I was getting on side punching combinations.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
            I hope it doesn't cause any vibration problems because now the center of my drum will be 4" out from where it was designed to be.
            I think you'll be all right with that.

Most importantly, what color are you getting ? When the time comes I think I want red

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              I think you'll be all right with that.

Most importantly, what color are you getting ? When the time comes I think I want red
              I got red. They had red and black in stock. They were going to be getting some yellow ones soon.

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

I got it yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, I had a lot going on and all I had time to do was open the box and check it out.

It did come with a chain link swivel which I will not be using and the drum is a very thick MDF, not wood. I think it would be quite satisfactory to use but I really want to use my larger cherry drum that I made on it.

I plan on putting it all together and getting it set up tonight.

Balasz has a special going on right now where you can get a boxing fundamentals workout video or an aerobic boxing video for free with your new Ibox. I did watch the video and it covers boxing stance, basic punches, heavy bag, two ended bag, speed bag, medicine ball, and a few other things. It was pretty good and about 45 minutes long.

The speed bag portion was very brief and only covered the basic rhythym. It was very interesting and they describe a good basic boxing workout, but definitely not worth buying if you want to learn anything other than very basic techniques on the speed bag.

I'll post pictures of my new setup when I get it together, maybe tonight hopefully....
                Last edited by Chris M; 09-12-2006, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

Got the I-box installed today. It was very easy to install since the frame itself is only 3 pieces. It is very solid and the height adjustment is very simple. It was delivered with an Everlast chain link swivel, (yuck) all needed nuts, bolts and screws. It came with lag bolts that are approximately 4" long for installing in regular wall studs. The rails are 16" apart so it will be easy to install into studs of the wall if you can find just one. I was installing mine onto brick, so I used 4" x 1/4" Tapcon screws.

I didn't use the drum that it came with because it was only 24" in diameter and it appeared to be 1 1/2 inch MDF but I did not measure it. I had to slightly offset my 32" drum but it works perfectly.

The only other modification that I did was to drill all the way through the frame so I could install bolts all the way through the board to eliminate the provided swivel screws from loosening up or coming out. I only had to drill through the bottom plate for the front bolts, but the back ones required 6 inch carriage bolts and I had to drill through the plate and the box beams to go all the way through.

When you see the first and second photo, you'll see why I had to buy the Balasz unit because it will allow more height on lower ceilings or if you have an obstruction like I do. Unfortunately, this was the best place for me to install my speedbag.

I'm very happy with the I-box and would highly recommend it!

See attached pictures.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Chris M; 09-13-2006, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Teetu
                    • Aug 2006

it looks like pro stuff in a gym- very nice

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I-Box setup

Man, what an awesome installation. Really like the double washers under the bolts. I also like how you adapted for the swivel. Remarkable ingenuity on going through the "V" frame.

Nice job and a beautiful board. bet it sounds lush.

Great Job, Chris.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• the need for speed
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Sep 2006

beatiful pics, the drum looks great. What kind of swivel? Everlast? Ringside?

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

I think it is a Ringside or Title, I don't remember where I got it. All of the swivels of this design are made by the same manufacturer (made in India) as far as I can tell.

Comment

• the need for speed
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Sep 2006

Beautiful set up Chris. That drum looks sweet. Is that the high end swivel from RIngside/Title? How's the vibration with the V fame? Would you sand bag it?

Comment

• Chris M
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by the need for speed View Post
                              Beautiful set up Chris. That drum looks sweet. Is that the high end swivel from RIngside/Title? How's the vibration with the V fame? Would you sand bag it?
                              This is the swivel on this platform: http://store.titleboxing.com/dps-ez.html

I have put a sandbag on it, mostly because I already had one laying around from my last setup. The vibration is not bad at all, but the weight helps muffle some of the noise, again to keep the complaints from my family to a minimum. Don't get me wrong, someone may get the impression that my family complains about my speedbagging, which is not the truth at all. I just want to be as considerate as possible.

I do love the I-Box very much!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...