X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoxingGranny
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2007

I've been working on the D-SES, but although I'm weaving and shifting my weight from foot to foot, the only way I'm able to hit the bag flush with the elbow is to also twist at the waist as I bring the elbow up for the strike. Is this bad form?

Thanks!

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BoxingGranny View Post
      I've been working on the D-SES, but although I'm weaving and shifting my weight from foot to foot, the only way I'm able to hit the bag flush with the elbow is to also twist at the waist as I bring the elbow up for the strike. Is this bad form?

Thanks!

It's kind of hard to tell from a description. A video would help us give you the best advice.

I understand it's not possible for you right now, so maybe viewing some of Alan's videos may help.

Check them out here: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/demos

Comment

• jaguiler
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
        No, I'm pretty sure it was for you. We know how Alan hits, we've got tons videos of him.

We're asking for videos so we can give you some pointers.
        actually.......... Alan's viedo would be good.... as well as yours - we want both !

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, I've been so busy I haven't even worked out in a week now, let alone make time to record me on the bag.

Things should be letting up soon, my kitchen is nearing completion.

Comment

• BillyMack
            • Sep 2006

I don't care who you are, just post some video!!

Comment

• jaguiler
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jan 2007

OK videos needed:

1. Granny
              2. Alan and described trick (which I already forgot)
              3. Chris M

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BoxingGranny View Post

Thanks!
                (* Ignore for a moment the amazing repetitive Downward Elbow combo's of Skunk and BillyMack. They are advanced baggers and easily do some things that are not natural for most. They are most likely possessed by speed bag demons...)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It is a very awkward combo to do repetitive Downward Elbow Strikes with either the same arm or other Arm. Just look at the body mechanics of the movement: it is two "inward" moving techniques (inward to the center of the body. even though the elbow moves "down" into the bag, this techniques has the same body move as a Front Straight Punch (FSP) and can replace that technique in the basic Rhythm. The FSP is an Inward Technique. You normally do not have Two Repetitive Inward Techniques follow each other. Try several repetitive FSP L,R,L,R. It is awkward. It can be done, but it is not naturally occuring. The Downward Elbows are the same way. It is much easier to do a D-SES after an Outward Elbow, or a Front Circle Punch (FCP).

Twisting at the waist is necessary to do the Downward Elbow Strikes. The best way to tell if you're doing it right is the quality of your elbow contact on the bag, (Solid hit on the underside or point of elbow. not slipping the forearm down the bag) and how the movement feels to you. You should follow a D-SES with a Front Circle Punch (FCP) of the Same Fist. So, after a Right D-SES you would do a Right FCP. The a Left D-SES and Left -FCP.

(*remember, the D-SES replaces the FSP in the basic rhythm, which goes Right FSP ' ' ' Right FCP ' ' ' Left FSP ' ' ' Left FCP )

You will eventually find it much easier to the D-DES. The double allows the arm to complete a better movement, and the bag naturally rebound into that fist. [You never have to place a fist on the bag after an elbow strike. The bag rebounds into it...]
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillyMack
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  (* Ignore for a moment the amazing repetitive Downward Elbow combo's of Skunk and BillyMack. They are advanced baggers and easily do some things that are not natural for most. They are most likely possessed by speed bag demons...)
                  Yup, a demon named Alan Kahn!

I'd like to add that one thing that helped me improve was posture. I started out too far from the bag, slouching into it. I noticed that Skunk keeps his trunk almost right under the bag, and arches his back way back. Trying this put my body in a better position to do elbow strikes, and from there I quickly picked up control and speed.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  You never have to place a fist on the bag after an elbow strike. The bag rebounds into it...
                  tru that...go slow and concentrate one making one graceful motion through the bag, it will become habit eventually and you will have to try NOT to do it...

Comment

• JERSEY KID
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • May 2007

BoxingGranny,
                    Your body will let you know if you are overdoing it, a large factor into shedding unwanted lbs. is your intake of foods Eat less and keep moving I think it would be wise to add some fast walking(jogging),or bike riding or any other arobic activites to keep things fresh and get the heart rate up than hit the bag.

Comment

• BoxingGranny
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jun 2007

Hi Jersey Kid,

Thanks for the tips!!

I do have a treadmill, and I use it, but not consistently. After a few weeks, it just gets so boring that my 5 days a week becomes 3, then 2, etc. and then I may skip a couple weeks before I can make myself get back on it.

The whole reason for my trying the speedbag was to find something that I wouldn't dread getting up in the morning and jumping into. Also, to develop some upper body strength. I have definitely found it! And it's renewed my enthusiasm for the treadmill as well.

As for the food - I've adjusting my eating habits - no ridiculous fad thing - just cutting down on portion size, less starch and more protein, limiting the fats and sugars and drinking lots of water rather than sodas. (I do allow myself to eat whatever I want (within reason) one day a week, so I won't feel deprived and go on a sugar and carb binge. I've lost 7 pounds over the last month. Nothing earth shattering, but it's a start. Now if I can just stick to my guns!!

Keep well!

Comment

• JERSEY KID
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • May 2007

Hey BoxingGranny,
                        I have the same problem with the treadmill But I put on the old boob-tube and find something half way interesting and go for it I find being consistant pays off in a big way, now I no all metabolisms aren't the same but I lost 16lbs this past month by doing it. and like you when I finish I get to have some fun with the speedbag and mix in some weight lifting. I find running(or fast walk) a bore but it works and you can be done say 1 mile in 15 to 20 minutes and like you I only eat when I am hungry and stay away from sugar also. I agree you have to find something that you enjoy and it makes working out somewhat tolerable but as the saying goes JUST DO IT
                        Hey also they say if you feel hungry it really means your thirsty,yea right that's some bull Keep it up

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JERSEY KID View Post
                          BoxingGranny,.... it would be wise to add some fast walking(jogging),or bike riding or any other arobic activites to keep things fresh and get the heart rate up than hit the bag.
                          Why not do those "while" hitting the bag?

stepping? sure. Try this Electronic mini-stepper...

or this Cory Everson model.

the Denis Austin Model

they all require balance but would add the bigger leg muscles into your punching.

Cycling....

most of these Cycles would work with a speed bag....

where there's a will, there's a way...
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...