• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Oes,des,rsp?

Okay, so admittedly I'm not really good on the abbreviations yet.

BUT...

I was watching Alan's video of him in 1979 and it reminded me of a combination that I had tried a while back and couldn't master but I was just now trying to reproduce it and with practice, I think I can get it. Right now I'm doing it slowly but consistently, but as we all know that's how you have to do it. Master it first and speed comes later.

It starts with a OES, then a DES, and it's followed up with a RSP. It has no rebounds in between.

First off, how do you write this in "speedbag shorthand" and secondly, is this an advanced combo or a super advanced combo? I'm guessing if you want to call it a super advanced combo it would need to be followed up with some kind of side hit?

Thanks!

Chris
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Chris M. Combo

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
    Okay, so admittedly I'm not really good on the abbreviations yet.

BUT...

I was watching Alan's video of him in 1979 and it reminded me of a combination that I had tried a while back and couldn't master but I was just now trying to reproduce it and with practice, I think I can get it. Right now I'm doing it slowly but consistently, but as we all know that's how you have to do it. Master it first and speed comes later.

It starts with a OES, then a DES, and it's followed up with a RSP. It has no rebounds in between.

First off, how do you write this in "speedbag shorthand" and secondly, is this an advanced combo or a super advanced combo? I'm guessing if you want to call it a super advanced combo it would need to be followed up with some kind of side hit?

Thanks!

Chris
    "...It has no rebounds in between."

Sorry, but that is quite Impossible. You can't hit the front of the bag with a fist or elbow, then hit behind without any rebounds. It should take two at least. You also can't do a couple of different elbow strikes with any rebounds. that takes at lease ONE...

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell us. the OES would be "Outward Elbow Strike". If was just the Elbow, (single part) it would be
    O-SES. O-DES would be Outward "Double" Elbow strike. (Double = 2 parts, outward elbow & fist of same arm with one rebound inbetween.) O-TES would be Outward-Triple Elbow Strike, or outward elbow & same fist and other fist. (Triple = 3 parts)

I don't know what your DES refers to. again, by itself it would "Downward Elbow Strike", but it could also be "D" for Double (two parts) as in O-DES, shown above. Could also be D-DES, for Downward-Double Elbow Strike.

So I'm not sure what combo your speaking of. If it hits one side of the bag with single rebounds inbetween, then I call it an "advanced" combo. If the moves hit two or more sides of the bag with only one rebound inbetween, then I call it "super advanced" (indicating more than one side...) This usually requires a Side Single Punch, (SSP), for going from the front directly to the bag requires TWO rebounds, and that doesn't count.

Going "front ' side ' back" is a super advanced.

I'd have to see what you combo is to write it for you.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Okay, let me try that again. I start off with a ODES, meaning I bring my hand up to my opposite ear and swing outward striking the bag with my elbow, then a FCP. If I'm not mistaken, that is a ODES.

Immediately after that with one rebound, assuming my ODES description was correct, it is followed up with a DDES. A Downward double elbow strike? meaning a downward elbow followed by hitting with the fist.

So, if what I've written is correct, a ODES, then a DDES, a forward rebound, then a RSP.

I'm guessing this is correct: ODES'DDES''RSP. Is that correct?

I can read your frustration in my inability to properly convey this and I do agree that there is a forward (meaning towards my face) rebound before I do my RSP.

Does that clear things up or muddy the waters even more?

I apologize for my illiteracy regarding speedbag shorthand.
      Last edited by Chris M; 04-02-2007, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Okay, let me try that again. I start off with a ODES, meaning I bring my hand up to my opposite ear and swing outward striking the bag with my elbow, then a FCP. If I'm not mistaken, that is a ODES.

Immediately after that with one rebound, assuming my ODES description was correct, it is followed up with a DDES. A Downward double elbow strike? meaning a downward elbow followed by hitting with the fist.

So, if what I've written is correct, a ODES, then a DDES, a forward rebound, then a RSP.

I'm guessing this is correct: ODES'DDES''RSP. Is that correct?

I can read your frustration in my inability to properly convey this and I do agree that there is a forward (meaning towards my face) rebound before I do my RSP.

Does that clear things up or muddy the waters even more?

I apologize for my illiteracy regarding speedbag shorthand.
        No need to apologize. It is easy for me to say, for I've been using these abbreviations for almost 15 years.

Your pretty close. Your combination is: the " O-DES ' D-DES ' ' RSP. There is ONE rebound between the outward double and downward double? I prefer to join these together and call them the "Out-&-Down Four Way Elbow Strike". The O-D 4way has all four parts (both elbows and both fists) with one rebound inbetween. [ There is also an OUT-&-IN 4 way ES ] * You can see them both here They are the longest speed bag techniques.

In the 1979 footage, I was trying to end each 8-10 second punching sequence with that technique, then turn to the camera and do a public service announcement about the Telethon. Then I'd finish with a few seconds of hitting. We planned on a 30 sec PSA, but the paint really looked horrible in the edits and the station scratched the idea.

But remember you have a choice for the RSP. You can pass the lead fist (outward) behind, or the second (downward) fist behind, or BOTH fists behind for a RDP or R-Roll. I think it is easier to do a RSP with the second (downward) fist. and I really like to pass the lead fist behind and combo to a RSP ' ' FSP split fist.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

I think it is easier to do a RSP with the second (downward) fist. and I really like to pass the lead fist behind and combo to a RSP ' ' FSP split fist.
          I have been doing the RSP with the downward fist and you described, but I never thought of doing a RSP ' ' FSP split fist. I'll have to give that a try but it doesn't sound too difficult if once you've mastered the O-D 4 way.

I love watching the clips on here and remembering to try something that really frustrated me earlier, it feels really good to do something that once seemed impossible when I was first starting out.

I really need to get those speedbag bible DVD's back out and watch them to see what else I need to do.

I know I need to work on incorporating my side punches into my routine more regularly.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I have been doing the RSP with the downward fist and you described, but I never thought of doing a RSP ' ' FSP split fist. I'll have to give that a try but it doesn't sound too difficult if once you've mastered the O-D 4 way.

I love watching the clips on here and remembering to try something that really frustrated me earlier, it feels really good to do something that once seemed impossible when I was first starting out.

I really need to get those speedbag bible DVD's back out and watch them to see what else I need to do.

I know I need to work on incorporating my side punches into my routine more regularly.
            Hey Chris:

A good way to practice the Outward and Downward Triples from arm to arm, is throw in a slight "Reverse - Front" split fist, by letting the second fist go behind. then bring that Arm/Hand to the front to lead the next elbow strike.

Like this

L - L/R......R.........L.......R........R-R/L......L........R.........L
            O-TES ' ' RSP ' ' FSP ' ' RSP ' ' O-TES ' ' RSP ' ' FSP ' ' RSP ' '.....repeat
            e - f/f.....................................e-f/f

or for the Downward

L /R-R......R.........L.......R........R/L-L......L........R.........L
            D-TES ' ' RSP ' ' FSP ' ' RSP ' ' D-TES ' ' RSP ' ' FSP ' ' RSP ' '.....repeat
            f / e-f.....................................f/e-f

You can mix and swap the Elbow Strikes, just keep splitting the second fist. Split the lead fist once in a while for variety. Just try and keep doing an Elbow Strike after the second RSP.

For the Outward Elbow, the elbow of the same ARM doing the RSP will lead the OES. For the Downward, the same fist will lead.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 04-03-2007, 09:45 PM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Thanks Alan, I'll give that a try. Unfortunately our weather turned crappy last night and it may be a couple of days before I want to get under the board.

I do have my indoor unit but I don't enjoy using it nearly as much as I do my outside set up.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...