X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hispanicmakingpanic
    • May 2007

Heavybag routines

Well I've been schooled on everything speedbag so far, does anyone have any heavy bag routines I can steal? I try to use the movement of the bag to set up dips and combos, that's why it's a bit high (like my platform). Please be kind with your comments, I'm nowhere near fighting shape!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

greats tips from this guy:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

________
    Side effects of paxil
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• ronaldo
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2007

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
      Well I've been schooled on everything speedbag so far, does anyone have any heavy bag routines I can steal? I try to use the movement of the bag to set up dips and combos, that's why it's a bit high (like my platform). Please be kind with your comments, I'm nowhere near fighting shape!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5HZ89sSrs
      Que paso! Hey I really like your setup and that bag looks really nice to hit. I have my heavy bag much lower and my wrists are starting to hurt so i will put it higher, I like the bag movement. good technique, the only thing i can criticise is your guard, keep your hands up more often bro
      I love hitting my heavybag bag viciously with hard hits, my wrists are starting to hurt though. And I don´t know how bad for the wrist this is, Im gonna workout on the bag just once a week because of this. It sucks

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

What I do on my heavy bag is set up my timer for 3 minute rounds with a 30 second rest.

I start off hitting very lightly for the first two or three rounds, not hitting really hard at all, really just making light contact with the bag to warm up. During the rest period, I do 10 pushups and 10 or 15 crunches. After about the third round, I'm doing combinations and hitting hard with the following:

jab, cross, left hook
        jab, cross, left low hook, left high hook
        jab, cross 3 times fast
        cross, left hook, cross
        3 jabs, left high hook, right high hook.
        2 jabs, cross, left hook low, cross, left uppercut.
        left low hook, right high hook, left high hook, right low hook
        etc.

I'll do these for three minute rounds for 45 minutes to an hour continuing with the pushups and crunches during the rest.

The last two or three rounds I'll do constant jab/cross as fast as possible trying to stay on the balls of my feet during the entire time. (this will really burn your glutes and back)

It's very tiring and a great workout! If I get really tired I'll go to the speedbag or double end bag during my 30 second rest period.

This workout will kick your butt if you do it at least 45 minutes or so.

ps, regarding the wrists, I'm assuming you've got some good wraps and gloves, right?

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
          • May 2007

Heavybag

Hola Rolando buenos dias a usted y a todos los atletas de el speedbag forum. Thank you for the comments! I realize that I have my guard too low, this has been an issue for me since my amateur days. I tend to be a little too offensive in my technique as well. I will try to post a new vid where I will try and be more technical and defensive minded.
          Chris I want to thank you for your regiment on the heavybag. I gotta say this sounds challenging and fun. If this is your regular workout then you my friend are probably a beast.

P.S. Rolando si usted necesita handwraps para sus manos deme su direcciony yo se las mandare. Tengo suficientes y no son muy caras.

Comment

• jaguiler
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2007

very nice !! looks good - good style and form.... not that I would know much, but it does look good. I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley, especially with those black teeth.

has the bag hit you from behind yet when you dip under it ? is that why the walls are padded ?

Comment

• SupergeZ
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2007

reckon you could put together a video of your heavybag routine Chris? sounds a pretty good workout

Comment

• Roscoe
                • May 2006

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
                reckon you could put together a video of your heavybag routine Chris? sounds a pretty good workout
                I second that.

Roscoe

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                  • May 2007

Heavybag

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
                  very nice !! looks good - good style and form.... not that I would know much, but it does look good. I wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley, especially with those black teeth.

has the bag hit you from behind yet when you dip under it ? is that why the walls are padded ?
                  Yes actually I have come up from a dip and hit my head on the bag before. That is not why it's padded in my gym however. The reason for the padding was for grappling, A few months ago I was going to enter a local cage fighting event and I was training with some top level El Reno wrestlers to get ready. I ended up having an altercation unrelated to the event or my training where I damaged my knuckle and had to drop out. I still practice submissions when I have the time. Thanks for the comments!

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                    What I do on my heavy bag is set up my timer for 3 minute rounds with a 30 second rest.

I start off hitting very lightly for the first two or three rounds, not hitting really hard at all, really just making light contact with the bag to warm up. During the rest period, I do 10 pushups and 10 or 15 crunches. After about the third round, I'm doing combinations and hitting hard with the following:

jab, cross, left hook
                    jab, cross, left low hook, left high hook
                    jab, cross 3 times fast
                    cross, left hook, cross
                    3 jabs, left high hook, right high hook.
                    2 jabs, cross, left hook low, cross, left uppercut.
                    left low hook, right high hook, left high hook, right low hook
                    etc.

I'll do these for three minute rounds for 45 minutes to an hour continuing with the pushups and crunches during the rest.

The last two or three rounds I'll do constant jab/cross as fast as possible trying to stay on the balls of my feet during the entire time. (this will really burn your glutes and back)

It's very tiring and a great workout! If I get really tired I'll go to the speedbag or double end bag during my 30 second rest period.

This workout will kick your butt if you do it at least 45 minutes or so.

ps, regarding the wrists, I'm assuming you've got some good wraps and gloves, right?

YOU are beast. Hope I'm in your corner during a fight. This workout is flaming.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2006

Hey, I never said I was moving very fast towards the end of the workout. My butt is kicked after 30 minutes of this. The last half of the workout is mostly heavy breathing!

Comment

• Chris M
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
                        My camera is not all that good, that is why I have never posted videos. I suppose it is time to look for one though.

I'll see what I can do, but really, heavy bag punching isn't all that spectacular to watch.

Besides, right now my heavy bag is in my basement and the lighting isn't that great. Taking pictures is one thing because of the flash, but I'm afraid the video will be too dark.

I'll try to remember to do that this afternoon though. I've got a lot going on right now and it's hard enough just to get in my workouts.

Besides, if I wasn't so busy, I'd be in Florida this weekend with Tim and Alan!

EDIT: On second thought, I'll post a video this afternoon. Today is my heavy bag workout day anyway. Just don't expect much, it's not exciting, kind of like watching someone do bench presses in my opinion.
                        Last edited by Chris M; 05-25-2007, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2007

sounds ace! cnt wait chris

pffft.. i spend ages looking at bench press videos on youtube when i was starting out 2 get my form right

Comment

• Chris M
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Mar 2006

Okay, here you go. Be nice. I started off cold without warming up and I didn't really concentrate on form or footwork so....

Also, sorry for the sound. I had to downsize it because the original file was 218 MB.

Feedback please!

Comment

• Clint
                              • Apr 2007

Hey man, I liked it! Mean haircut and cool moustache to boot. What's the bag weigh?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...