• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Clint View Post
    Hey man, I liked it! Mean haircut and cool moustache to boot. What's the bag weigh?
    Ha!

The bag is a 100 pounder. Sometimes I wish I had bought a heavier one.

The haircut is Army issue even though I've been out for almost 8 years now. I grew accustomed to it and I still prefer the low maintenance of that hair cut. Old habits die hard after 15 years.

Comment

• Clint
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
      Ha!

The bag is a 100 pounder. Sometimes I wish I had bought a heavier one.

The haircut is Army issue even though I've been out for almost 8 years now. I grew accustomed to it and I still prefer the low maintenance of that hair cut. Old habits die hard after 15 years.

Know what you mean about having a heavier bag. I think a 125 pounder would be perfect. My company has a couple 100 pounders, and a couple of the full length Twins Muay Thai Bags I'd say are about 200 pounds. IMO good for kicking only if you're into that.

Comment

• ronaldo
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • May 2007

Hey guys!
        Nice video Chris! you got some good combos going

I have a 100 pound or so bag and I think it´s great, I hear a lot of people talking about the very heavy bags, why would you need a heavier bag for? this one you can punch and kick using the swing of the bag. And if you don´t want it to swing you can always attach it with a rope to the floor. I think my bag is already hard enough and heavy on the wrists

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ronaldo View Post
          Hey guys!
          Nice video Chris! you got some good combos going

I have a 100 pound or so bag and I think it´s great, I hear a lot of people talking about the very heavy bags, why would you need a heavier bag for? this one you can punch and kick using the swing of the bag. And if you don´t want it to swing you can always attach it with a rope to the floor. I think my bag is already hard enough and heavy on the wrists

The nice thing about this bag is that it's not hard at all. It just hasn't settled causing the bottom of the bag to be rock hard like some of the bags at my gym and the cheapie 40 pound bag that I bought at a garage sale. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not going to happen to this Ringside bag.

Why a bigger bag? I would prefer that it not move so much. I do have one of those canvas bags filled with gravel that I currently use to anchor my double end bag, but I just haven't tried it on the heavy bag. My frustration is that I wish it didn't swing so much. Yes, yes, I know I should be using that movement to bob, weave, slip, etc., but I don't. Maybe I need to work on that more. Part of my problem as you may or may not be able to tell from the video is that my basment workout area is extremely small and I don't have a lot of manuevering room. I have some really nice maple trees in my back yard that would be ideal and I love working out outdoors, but I don't want to leave my bag outside all the time, seeing as how it's leather and it cost me a quite a bit. I'm too lazy to lug a 100 pound bag back and forth across my yard and setup a step ladder to put it up and take it down. I've thought about getting some plastic to make some type of thing to protect it from sun and rain when I'm not using it but it hasn't been a big priority for me.

Also, regarding soft bags, I don't really care for them. They have a couple of water bags at my gym and they're just way too soft for my liking, they give about 3 or 4 inches when you punch them and for some reason, those things always end up spinning like crazy too.
          Last edited by Chris M; 05-30-2007, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• jaguiler
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2007

I have no problem with spinning water bags... if they are spinning then you may be hitting incorrectly or the bag has a bad shape and should be easily fixed.

I am picturing a gazeebo in the backyard with work out equipment in it.... heavy bag, weights, speedbag

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

I have no problem with spinning water bags... if they are spinning then you may be hitting incorrectly or the bag has a bad shape and should be easily fixed.
              I think it's because of the way these bags are made. Your hands kind of bounce or deflect off of them when you hit them. They're the only water bags I've ever hit though, but I hate those. It's almost like there is several inches of air with water behind that. I can't describe it, but the water bags they have at my gym are horrible.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                • May 2007

water bags

I agree with Chris on water bags having a bit of give during initial impact. However, if you punch through the bag(not saying you don't Chris) you will feel the shift of the water and the explosion of the impact as the bag absorbs the impact. I'ts a little forgiving on the hands, but I think the shift it produces is lifelike and beneficial for commiting to your punch. Regardless, I think Chris's current bag is second to none and looks to absorb punches easily and hold it's shape well. My bag is a cheapie TKO bag I got from a friend. I've owned many punching bags, but this is a very stiff and solid bag since I overstuffed it with sand for a sturdier form. After recieving some good advice, and some negative feed, I posted a new heavybag video to address defense and power.

After reviewing the comments both positive and negative, I posted an update.

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

What I do on my heavy bag is set up my timer for 3 minute rounds with a 30 second rest.

I start off hitting very lightly for the first two or three rounds, not hitting really hard at all, really just making light contact with the bag to warm up. During the rest period, I do 10 pushups and 10 or 15 crunches. After about the third round, I'm doing combinations and hitting hard with the following:

jab, cross, left hook
                  jab, cross, left low hook, left high hook
                  jab, cross 3 times fast
                  cross, left hook, cross
                  3 jabs, left high hook, right high hook.
                  2 jabs, cross, left hook low, cross, left uppercut.
                  left low hook, right high hook, left high hook, right low hook
                  etc.

I'll do these for three minute rounds for 45 minutes to an hour continuing with the pushups and crunches during the rest.

The last two or three rounds I'll do constant jab/cross as fast as possible trying to stay on the balls of my feet during the entire time. (this will really burn your glutes and back)

It's very tiring and a great workout! If I get really tired I'll go to the speedbag or double end bag during my 30 second rest period.

This workout will kick your butt if you do it at least 45 minutes or so.

ps, regarding the wrists, I'm assuming you've got some good wraps and gloves, right?
                  cool!gonna have to try it. That last part sounds like a punch out drill I saw at rossboxing .com. I can only go for 30 seconds at a time with that drill.
                  sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

The nice thing about this bag is that it's not hard at all. It just hasn't settled causing the bottom of the bag to be rock hard like some of the bags at my gym and the cheapie 40 pound bag that I bought at a garage sale. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not going to happen to this Ringside bag.

Why a bigger bag? I would prefer that it not move so much. I do have one of those canvas bags filled with gravel that I currently use to anchor my double end bag, but I just haven't tried it on the heavy bag. My frustration is that I wish it didn't swing so much. Yes, yes, I know I should be using that movement to bob, weave, slip, etc., but I don't. Maybe I need to work on that more. Part of my problem as you may or may not be able to tell from the video is that my basment workout area is extremely small and I don't have a lot of manuevering room. I have some really nice maple trees in my back yard that would be ideal and I love working out outdoors, but I don't want to leave my bag outside all the time, seeing as how it's leather and it cost me a quite a bit. I'm too lazy to lug a 100 pound bag back and forth across my yard and setup a step ladder to put it up and take it down. I've thought about getting some plastic to make some type of thing to protect it from sun and rain when I'm not using it but it hasn't been a big priority for me.

Also, regarding soft bags, I don't really care for them. They have a couple of water bags at my gym and they're just way too soft for my liking, they give about 3 or 4 inches when you punch them and for some reason, those things always end up spinning like crazy too.
                    I hear ya about the cramped workout space. My setup is in the garage which is a 1 car garage. The bags are on a Century stand which takes up space. I would like a heavier bag myself. Mine is only 65#. You looking good!
                    Last edited by metaldad; 06-11-2007, 02:29 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...