X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m.breen
    • Jan 2017

Plastic swivel in winter

I intend to keep a plastic swivel outside during the winter. Does anybody have any experience with the everlast plastic swivels in cold weather? Probably between -10 to -20 celcius.
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

I can't see why that wouldn't work. Tell me you're not bagging in the sub zeros? Brrrrrr I have my outside platform all wrapped up with black plastic for a few months.
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

I bag in an unheated enclosed porch in the winter here in Wisconsin. Never tried a plastic swivel. I keep the bags indoors until the moment I want to bag. They lose their bounce somewhat after a while in the cold. Inflating them to brick hardness doesn't help much. I have spare warm bags inside to swap out a cold bag as needed.

Comment

• m.breen
        • Jan 2017

I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig. with any luck the plastic will not shatter.

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

I believe Everlast base is ABS which has a working temperature down to -20C. I think the ball is Polyethyline and I cannot find a specific low temperature for that, except one ref that said below 0C should be fine.
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
            I believe Everlast base is ABS which has a working temperature down to -20C. I think the ball is Polyethyline and I cannot find a specific low temperature for that, except one ref that said below 0C should be fine.
            I'm pretty sure the ARC will do fine in cold weather, especially for a "fast bagger" that can heat it up....
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              I'm pretty sure the ARC will do fine in cold weather, especially for a "fast bagger" that can heat it up....
              You know I did have the idea that I should do some long term environmental testing on the Arc swivel. But I have so much going on right now in development, I have not gotten around to it.

The Arc swivel base is PETG and the ball is POM. Most polymers are just fine in the cold. Its the heat that really heats things up.
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2018

Here in the interior of BC, Canada I can expect to get as cold as 35 - 40 below 0' Celsius during some of the winter months. I'm going to mount my ARC Whip to my outdoor platform and see how that goes. The whip matches all the snow I'll be shoveling

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

I bet the Arc lasts longer than the bag, but I'm not guaranteeing the Arc for those ridiculously low temperatures!

Actually, I never guaranteed the Arc to do anything except arrive. Actually, I can't even guarantee that!

The dogs love us.
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2018

Hit on it for 5-6 minutes in a balmy -9 Celsius tonight and the your swivel functioned like it was inside the house. I'll go again when the real crispy stuff comes around.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
                      Here in the interior of BC, Canada I can expect to get as cold as 35 - 40 below 0' Celsius during some of the winter months. I'm going to mount my ARC Whip to my outdoor platform and see how that goes. The whip matches all the snow I'll be shoveling
                      Thanks very much for the set up and testing. It's awesome to have baggers all over the world in all kinds of environments to see how the equipment (and the baggers!) hold up. This can really be helpful.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BagBoy
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        Thanks very much for the set up and testing. It's awesome to have baggers all over the world in all kinds of environments to see how the equipment (and the baggers!) hold up. This can really be helpful.
                        If and when the minus 30ish sub zeros arrive I'll bet the swivel outlasts me bagging in those conditions. Either way I'm looking forward to it.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• m.breen
                          • Jan 2017

FYI...The shell on the Ta:l bag disintegrates in the cold weather.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...