• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Home-made dummy

To test my robotic boxing arms I wanted to make something that looked somewhat like the Boxing Bob Dummy. I ended up getting a free standing heavy bag, putting a hole at the top so I could attach the bottom of a double end bag as the head and attach the upper part of the double end bag on a bungee cord as they usually are to the ceiling. So now I have a free standing "dummy" that is very sturdy that has a head and body all at about my height. Works rather nicely.
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

man i get more and more excited to see this thing on vid upon every update u make...i think i will be great!

Comment

• Jordan
      • Jun 2009

I'd love to see this stuff....put up some pics bro

Comment

• atgatt
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

Kyle and Jordan, I can't show the arms yet because I am just now starting to write up a patent now that it appears I have the issues worked out (I hope, I hope). Those arms sure give a WHOLE different feeling about just going in and punching at the bag because once you extend an arm to punch, you only have one arm left to cover your face area, and if you're not real fast or careful, you will get hit in the unprotected area.

On the high speed, forget about it, you have less than 1/10 of a second to react to its punch and I have yet to been able to avoid that punch with that little of reaction time. Even with just standing in front of one arm 18 inches away (about the length of my jab), and my hands just slightly below the puncharm's path so I could block it once it starts to punch, I have yet to be able to block it once at the high speed. At the slow speed you can block it but only if you are really on alert. It's a lot of fun and you will soon learn, always keep your hands up!

Anyway, my goal was to bring up the dummy, not the arms. I can take down the arms and take of pic of the dummy if you like.

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

The whole thing sounds pretty darn awesome and innovative(I'm really digging that word as of late lol) with or without the arms I would love to see your prototype and get a view of the concept.
          sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

met, here are pics and front and side. I have the arms removed. I wanted it to lean forward like a boxer would and be about my height. The double end bag attached at the top is also attached to the ceiling by bungee cord so the head is supported well when boxed and it keeps the whole setup very sturdy.

Now that I have patent pending on the arms, I will soon be coming out with a little website and vids of it in action. From there, I'll be looking for feedback what people think of it to see if I should manufacturer them. Granted, it is my biased opinion, but the arms are like nothing else available. They go from slow to fast and even at slow they will ALWAYS get in some punches. It gives a chance to really practice blocking, not just punching. At high speed, I don't think a person alive could stop them because the reaction time is just too fast to stop.

Anyway, when I give that post, I sure would appreciate honest inputs because to go into production opens up a whole new set of expenses. Liability insurance alone is really high.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
              Now that I have patent pending on the arms, I will soon be coming out with a little website and vids of it in action. From there, I'll be looking for feedback what people think of it to see if I should manufacturer them.
              I'm really looking forward to seeing it in action. I have all sorts of questions, but I won't ask because I know you can't disclose too much yet.

If you have any general web site questions let me know. I've set a few up , not anything related to a product though.

Granted, it is my biased opinion, but the arms are like nothing else available. They go from slow to fast and even at slow they will ALWAYS get in some punches. It gives a chance to really practice blocking, not just punching. At high speed, I don't think a person alive could stop them because the reaction time is just too fast to stop.
              Sounds very interesting, like a whole new dimension to the heavy bag workout.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Yes, this is gonna be a cool venture. I love the DEB on the Freestanding heavybag. very original idea.

Just a thought here. Be sure to copyright any development writings, instructions or construction text you have. You can put it all together in a book if you want. It doesn't cost that much and it will be worth it to make it YOURS. Here is the copyright office of the Library of Congress.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Tim, thank you very much for offering help on the website. I have so much built up frustration of doing things I never did before. All the work of developing the RBT, writing up a long patent, doing a website, doing a film and posting them on YouTube. Through it all it seems that less than 5% of it went smoothly.

I will be posting my website this morning and I am sure you can give me pointers of what can be improved. Your help and inputs will be much appreciated.

Speedbag, I looked at that site you so kindly sent. I'm trying to see what I have so far that could be copyrighted. The domain name is mine and the patent protects the design. When I post the website, please let me know what you see from your experience that I should copyright. You have much more experience in such matters since you've been through it.

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Website, the videos, and the product look great, I just checked it out (way behind on reading posts). I'll post some detailed feedback in the other thread.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...