• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PappyZ
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2018

Q about old "criss-cross" technique

I'm curious if anyone has heard of this. The first speed bag technique I learned, back in 1971, is what I call the "criss-cross". I don't remember that it even had a name back then. I learned it from a friend whose dad had been a Golden Gloves boxer, probably back in the 1940s. So, unlike the techniques I see nowadays, which are either front-back or side-side, this pattern goes diagonally. That is, right front "corner" to left rear "corner", left front "corner" to right rear "corner" (if you picture the platform being a square). So the pattern was:
    - right front punch
    - right side punch
    - left front punch
    - left side punch

The bag path forms an X shape.

I'm guessing this technique was abandoned at some point since the diagonal bag path is hard to incorporate into routines. Any feedback appreciated. Thx!
  • Randy D
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by PappyZ View Post
    I'm curious if anyone has heard of this. The first speed bag technique I learned, back in 1971, is what I call the "criss-cross". I don't remember that it even had a name back then. I learned it from a friend whose dad had been a Golden Gloves boxer, probably back in the 1940s. So, unlike the techniques I see nowadays, which are either front-back or side-side, this pattern goes diagonally. That is, right front "corner" to left rear "corner", left front "corner" to right rear "corner" (if you picture the platform being a square). So the pattern was:
    - right front punch
    - right side punch
    - left front punch
    - left side punch

The bag path forms an X shape.

I'm guessing this technique was abandoned at some point since the diagonal bag path is hard to incorporate into routines. Any feedback appreciated. Thx!
    Exactly the technique I learned in the 70's. The only one I can actually do well now. Trying to learn all over again.

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

Can anyone find a youtube video showing this?
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Randy D
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
        Can anyone find a youtube video showing this?
        At about 3 minutes on this video https://youtu.be/oxyHxdA7tzQ
        Similar to what I learned.

Comment

• BagBoy
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2018

AhhhHa!

Man did I misunderstand the description When you said "side punch" and that the bag has an "X path" which I took that for + path.. I went directly to my ball hook and did just that, front and side of the bag hit catching it in the middle and so on. The video shed some clarification, thanks.
          Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• mirokiuru
            • Jun 2015

[QUOTE =I took that for + path...[/QUOTE]

I did that too

If the technique is the one what is shown in the video 2.30-3.00 it looks like the most common technique boxers do now days. I guess its also one of the first things speedbaggers learn

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...