• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Lighter weight heavy bags

I have had a lighter weight (45 lbs) heavy bag that I bought at a garage sale a couple of years ago that I haven't really been using for a number of reasons. First off, it was rock hard at the bottom and soft from the middle and above. I successfully redistributed the stuffing by laying it on the ground and jumping on the bottom and rolling it around until it wasn't hard on the bottom any more.

I then hung it from a maple tree in the back yard a little higher than a normally would.

I worked out on it by throwing a couple of combinations until it got swinging, and then I would slip or duck under the bag, then change angles as it came back towards me and when it did I would throw a couple more combinations at it. It was a pretty good workout and it made me work on my footwork.

I don't think I would have tried this or even thought about it had I not seen your videos Hispanicmakingpanic, thank you for your great videos!

Chris
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

ive done the same thing with my 50lb bag before but im pretty much set with my 150lb now.
    ________
    Pattaya properties for sale
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
      • May 2007

Thank you for your interest. I'm glad I could help you homey. It's a two way street. I've been getting requests on youtube for instructional videos from eager enthusiasts who have a desire to learn. The daily video posts have revitalized my conditioning and have inspired me to continue to improve.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
        Thank you for your interest. I'm glad I could help you homey. It's a two way street. I've been getting requests on youtube for instructional videos from eager enthusiasts who have a desire to learn. The daily video posts have revitalized my conditioning and have inspired me to continue to improve.
        It appears to me that you are more than a "fitness boxer" and look like you have had some serious training. From your angles, movement and straight out and back punching, you appear to be pretty solid in all areas, and very efficient on all bags. Were you training for a boxing career at some point?
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
          • May 2007

Yea actually it was my true passion as a youngster. I started in Houston when i was 13 at a gym called Chapas gym. When I moved to state of Washington I started making my own setup and started fighting in smokers and AAU events under the tutalage of Marcelino Fernandez. I was unliked by other boxers because I was a wretler in High School as well and had a very sloppy approach. Even my trainer admitted he liked me more for sparring. He produced a fighter by the name of Francisco Zepeda, a jr lightweight that has a minor belt in California. I used to chase that dude for rounds. After high school I got in with the "bad" crowd and my career stalled out and I started frequenting county jails. Now that I'm older I hope for a break, I keep in contact with Tracy Sneed, a super middleweight contender out of Shawnee, but my knuckles probably wouldnt pass a fight doctors test. The passion never really goes away, so I do what I can to express my addiction.

Comment

• SupergeZ
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2007

what did you do to your nuckles mate? did u bash them up abit?

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
              • May 2007

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
              what did you do to your nuckles mate? did u bash them up abit?
              On the inside of my right forearm I have a 6 inch surgery scar from where I punched through an old Belaire window when I was nineteen and stupid. I lost 3 liters of blood that time!(you only have about 5 in your body). I recovered the use of my right hand but didn't learn my lesson. Right before my son Daniel was born I had a ratfink working on my Jetta and the dude sold my rims! I tried talking with him but balcked out into rage and broke the punks ocular socket with a left hook. I also broke my middle finger knuckle and never went to get it fixed because my focus was on the birth of Daniel. It set in a folded position and I had to have it rebroken and a pin put in it. It is now frozen in a straight position. Last year as I was training for an MMA fight I had another Knuckle setback. A friend of mine called me cuz a known troublemaker was at her house and wouldn't leave. I was actually scared of the dude cuz he has a mean rep. I showed up to try and talk to him and he insulted me and tried to swing at me. Before he drew all the way back I dropped him with a right cross and lacerated the top knuckle on my right hand ring finger. It is still pretty tender, but I must admit I'm a bit used to it. I hope no one thinks any less of me, I'm really a well liked friend. I just live in EL Ghetto!

Comment

• SupergeZ
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2007

sounds like you been through the wars abit matey

i got drunk and picked a fight with a wall... my right middle nuckle swelled up and doctor reckons i jsut got bruised bone and joint and excess fluid but i think its a little more serious personally, getting him to get me refered to a specilaist for a scan and see EXACTLY whats wrong with it. make sure its gona be ok, and iff not what i can do with it. wana be able to fight and not worry about throwing a right incase i do more damage to it and have it out of action for good

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                  • May 2007

I feel ya! When I injured my forearm I actually severed nerves and tendons and the doctors told me I'd never use my hand normally again. That news broke my heart, but I was determined to prove them worng. i think doctors have to give you worst possible scenario to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Comment

• Kyle
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2006

I feel ya! When I injured my forearm I actually severed nerves and tendons and the doctors told me I'd never use my hand normally again. That news broke my heart, but I was determined to prove them worng. i think doctors have to give you worst possible scenario to protect themselves from lawsuits.
                    for sure they always do that!

ps. i feel ya SupereZ i had some encounters with some lippy walls to but i put them in there place...lol
                    ________
                    WEB SHOWS
                    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Big_Nesticles View Post
                      for sure they always do that!

ps. i feel ya SupereZ i had some encounters with some lippy walls to but i put them in there place...lol
                      haha yeah those walls just need a good sorting out sometimes!

much better to take it out on a punch bag though! they love being shown whos boss

Comment

• ashe
                        • Jun 2007

On the inside of my right forearm I have a 6 inch surgery scar from where I punched through an old Belaire window when I was nineteen and stupid. I lost 3 liters of blood that time!(you only have about 5 in your body). I recovered the use of my right hand but didn't learn my lesson. Right before my son Daniel was born I had a ratfink working on my Jetta and the dude sold my rims! I tried talking with him but balcked out into rage and broke the punks ocular socket with a left hook. I also broke my middle finger knuckle and never went to get it fixed because my focus was on the birth of Daniel. It set in a folded position and I had to have it rebroken and a pin put in it. It is now frozen in a straight position. Last year as I was training for an MMA fight I had another Knuckle setback. A friend of mine called me cuz a known troublemaker was at her house and wouldn't leave. I was actually scared of the dude cuz he has a mean rep. I showed up to try and talk to him and he insulted me and tried to swing at me. Before he drew all the way back I dropped him with a right cross and lacerated the top knuckle on my right hand ring finger. It is still pretty tender, but I must admit I'm a bit used to it. I hope no one thinks any less of me, I'm really a well liked friend. I just live in EL Ghetto!
                        that's why open hands are better for "TEH STREETZ"!

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                          • May 2007

I've actually fought with open hands before. It was a young dude that was muscular and cocky and claimed he was going to stomp my head because I had whooped his older brother. After a few swings I realized he had zero skills and decided to take it easy on him by ending the fight with hard slaps. I'm not proud of it, but at least no one got hurt!

Comment

• ashe
                            • Jun 2007

:d

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...