• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DapperDan
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2012

Decisions, decisions

Hi,

Firstly I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dan I'm based in England. I have been boxing on and off for 10 years or so. My favourite apparatus is the speedball. Pleased to meet everyone :-D

I am wanting to put up a speedball in my garage and have my eye on these two. Each has something that bugs me a bit so I'm looking for some opinions.

Firstly I used to use one like this at the boxing gym.

The frame is steel and heavy duty, its a sturdy box design with a really nice thickness to the drum. I imagine it would be super sturdy with no vibration, which is what I'm after. Unfortunately other than the description theres no dimensions or pictures. And no other company sells them. I'm not sure if there would be enough clearance in my garage as the frame seems quite tall. I'm also 6ft 5" so I would need to have it quite high.

The other option is this
    BBE Folding & Height Adjustable Speed Ball Frame The BBE Height Adjustable Speed Ball Frame is perfect for home boxing speed workouts. It comes with a rotational bearing swivel to hang the speedball on. Fixtures, fittings and assembly instructions are all included. The frame attaches firmly the wall via a 4 point wall fixing mounts. There are 5 height levels available so no the correct level can be achieved by each boxer. The frame folds against the wall when not in use to save space, and provide safe storage. Key Features Solid 4 Point Wall Fixing. 5 Height adjustable Settings. Folds flat towards the wall when not in use. Includes Rotational bearing swivel. Includes Fixtures and fittings. Includes Assembly instructions Black powder coat finish Maximum suspended weight 5 KG Dimensions Length 60 cm Width 60 cm Height 77.5 cm Product Weight 7.6 KG

Adjustable platforms are handy but they always seem to vibrate more than a sold frame. This is my biggest issue. Convenience over sturdiness.
    ALso the price seems quite expensive. If I pay this much I don't want to add a bag of sand on top!

I will be using this speedball

Extra small size 5x8"

Any insight into either of these platforms or general opinions would be great. I can't afford to get this wrong.

Kind regards

Dan
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    Hi,

Firstly I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dan I'm based in England. I have been boxing on and off for 10 years or so. My favourite apparatus is the speedball. Pleased to meet everyone :-D

I am wanting to put up a speedball in my garage and have my eye on these two. Each has something that bugs me a bit so I'm looking for some opinions.

Firstly I used to use one like this at the boxing gym.

The frame is steel and heavy duty, its a sturdy box design with a really nice thickness to the drum. I imagine it would be super sturdy with no vibration, which is what I'm after. Unfortunately other than the description theres no dimensions or pictures. And no other company sells them. I'm not sure if there would be enough clearance in my garage as the frame seems quite tall. I'm also 6ft 5" so I would need to have it quite high.

The other option is this
    BBE Folding & Height Adjustable Speed Ball Frame The BBE Height Adjustable Speed Ball Frame is perfect for home boxing speed workouts. It comes with a rotational bearing swivel to hang the speedball on. Fixtures, fittings and assembly instructions are all included. The frame attaches firmly the wall via a 4 point wall fixing mounts. There are 5 height levels available so no the correct level can be achieved by each boxer. The frame folds against the wall when not in use to save space, and provide safe storage. Key Features Solid 4 Point Wall Fixing. 5 Height adjustable Settings. Folds flat towards the wall when not in use. Includes Rotational bearing swivel. Includes Fixtures and fittings. Includes Assembly instructions Black powder coat finish Maximum suspended weight 5 KG Dimensions Length 60 cm Width 60 cm Height 77.5 cm Product Weight 7.6 KG

Adjustable platforms are handy but they always seem to vibrate more than a sold frame. This is my biggest issue. Convenience over sturdiness.
    ALso the price seems quite expensive. If I pay this much I don't want to add a bag of sand on top!

I will be using this speedball

Extra small size 5x8"

Any insight into either of these platforms or general opinions would be great. I can't afford to get this wrong.

Kind regards

Dan
    Hello DapperDan. Welcome to the forum, and you can bet one of our favorite apparatus is the speed ball (speed bag in usa) also!

As for the Bolmeer wall unit, If you really want it that bad I would email the company on their contact page and confirm the dimensions. With that bag you have chosen I would say a 24 inch diameter would suffice but it's hard to tell on that square or rectangle board design.

hope this helps and good luck with your choice.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• DapperDan
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2012

Hi Speedbag,

Thanks for the swift reply. Yes I shall give them a call tomorrow and see if they can shed any more light.

I suppose I was looking more at that type of design as I've used them in the past. But thats not to say the other design isn't as good. I just have my reservations.

I think someone else posted a thread regarding the Reebok adjustable platform. By all accounts they were relatively pleased and the feedback was quite positive. I think that design is similar to the Balazs i-Box.

Kind regards

Dan

Comment

• windyfightgear
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2014

bag gloves

Welcome to our site, Here you can find all your boxing or fight relate equipment like boxing gloves, sparring gloves and bag gloves. Click on windyfightgear.co.uk

Comment

• speedball708
          • Apr 2015

Hello
          Last edited by speedball708; 07-14-2017, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...