• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

pushups everyday?

Is it OK to do push ups everday? I know with weightlifting you shouldn't work the same muscles every day. But what about something as basic as pushups. When I do push ups, I usually do anywhere from 50 - 75 (not at one time). I mainly do them for endurance and general fitness. Does anyone think that I will do damage to my muscles by working them through push ups everday?

Also, I do medicine ball squats as part of my routine. Anywhere from 50 - 100 squats with a medicine ball. Can I do these every day? It's more of a cardio workout than a muscle workout, I believe.

I say every day, but really I would like to do them about 5 days a week. Is that to much?
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

reallistically u shud be fine unless ur feeling really sore u shud back off a bit...if u think about it all the military people i have met/know did pushups every day and were all fine....how heavy is the medicine ball?
    ________
    Last edited by Tim; 06-02-2020, 10:51 AM. Reason: SPAM link removed.

Comment

• riqal
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2006

the medicine ball I use is 20 lbs, but I can do 25 - 30 reps with it.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I was gonna say something along the lines of what Kyle did, I'm sure there's many people doing something similar on a daily basis with no ill effects. If you really kept at it long term you might see joint or tendon overuse symptoms but 50-75 is not a crazy number

Comment

• Kyle
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
          the medicine ball I use is 20 lbs, but I can do 25 - 30 reps with it.
          ya ull be fine with that much weight...it will act as more of a cardio workout rather then a weight training one which means everyday shouldnt be bad.
          ________
          Last edited by Tim; 06-02-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• riqal
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2006

thx for the feedback guys! At my age I am more concerned with taking care of my heart, so the daily workouts are, I believe, necessary.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

thx for the feedback guys! At my age I am more concerned with taking care of my heart, so the daily workouts are, I believe, necessary.
              Coincidentally, the Febuary issue of Men's Fitness addresses this same question in the Lifting Q section of the magazine. According to the Nick Nilson,C.P.T.;"you can use the high frequency to get great results with those excercises, however, that much frequency means you'll have to limit the number of sets you do each session or you risk overtraining." This article was also referring to doing pullups as well. He goes on to say that "you should try to improve your performance by one rep eachtime you do them. Because you'll be doing only a set or two, you'll be able to go all out each time. Also change up the excercises every six to eight weeks to further prevent overtraining" this was a a small blurb in the magazine but it was very useful. The issue has Georges St-Pierre on the cover. I hope this was also helpful.
              sigpic

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

I'm not saying it's right, but anyone who's been in the Army or Marines has done hundreds pushups every day while they were in basic training and AIT. I couldn't even begin to count how many I've done, probably in the hundreds of thousands, most of them done daily.

I had no ill effect that I know of that was due to doing pushups every day. And I never saw anyone get an injury from one with all the people I trained with.

Comment

• gehana01
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Aug 2009

Benefits of push ups are so obvious that there is no secrets about them. Plain and simple. You just need to take a few minutes each day to perform them and you are going to see their incredible impact on your body very soon. Every week your could notice great changes on the shape of your body, while watching yourself in the mirror. Every week!

As far as I am concerned there is no better and faster way of getting fit as doing push ups.

Comment

• riqal
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by gehana01 View Post
                    Benefits of push ups are so obvious that there is no secrets about them. Plain and simple. You just need to take a few minutes each day to perform them and you are going to see their incredible impact on your body very soon. Every week your could notice great changes on the shape of your body, while watching yourself in the mirror. Every week!

As far as I am concerned there is no better and faster way of getting fit as doing push ups.
                    Absolutely! I have been using pushup bars, and pushups have been may primary chest exercise. I have learned over the years that there are many ways to develop strength besides dumbells and barbells.

Pushups along with resistance tubing have worked well for me lately.

Comment

• Kyle
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2006

Absolutely! I have been using pushup bars, and pushups have been may primary chest exercise. I have learned over the years that there are many ways to develop strength besides dumbells and barbells.

Pushups along with resistance tubing have worked well for me lately.
                      2 method that will always work great...especially if one cant afford a gym membership...i had a simple home gym set up and joined a gym 6 months ago and realised my home gym just wasnt cutting it! been great having all that equipment at me disposal.
                      ________
                      Novana Residence Condos Pattaya
                      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

If anyone can, pick up Ross Enamait's "Underground Guide To Warrior Fitness", "Never Gymless", and "Infinite Intensity" These books are outstanding sources for total bodyweight excercise. "Infinite Intensity" brings dumbells and sandbags into the mix. Also if you can find Matt Furey's "Combat Conditioning" another good source of strict body weight workouts. I've been out of the Corps for 15 years and lost alot of my pullup strength, but just today I finall did three sets of twelve without strain. I also did three sets of three thick grip pullups. Weights are great but bodyweight is anywhere anytime.
                        sigpic

Comment

• harris411
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Sep 2009

I did press ups for at least 10 years everyday from when i was a boy through to adulthood, never had any bad effects on me and gave me a top physique without ever going to a gym. I think press ups are way underrated, great for the shoulders and just about every muscle in the upper body. I can't think of an easier and yet so effective way of training. Still got the one hand 2 finger press up mastered, which i still love to show off after a few beers, although thats probably one way to do yourself damage!

Comment

• fingers
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • May 2008

Just bought a set of push up bars adds a whole new range of push ups!!

Comment

• Kaju Dog
                              • Jul 2009

My teachers 52 and still does no less the 500 push ups every day. He is in better shape than most 20 y/o's I see in the Service.

I wish I had the consistancy and self discipline. (Working on it)

In the pic: Dr/Grandmaster Vince Black (L-standing), Sijo Adriano D. Emperado (Kajukenbo Style of Self Defense founding father - seated) and my teacher Grandmaster Greg Harper (aka KAJUPIT) (R-standing).

these 3 have all been a significant influence on my life and who I am today. I've been with my teacher since I was 14. (Now Im 36 and getting ready to go to class tonite)

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...