Speed bags - size vs weight

I've recently acquired some different sizes of speed bag

From left to right:
    Everlast 9x6 High Performance Speed Bag - $39.99
    Title 8x5 Speed Bag - $29.99
    Title 8x5 Classic Speed Bag - $19.99
    Ringside 8x5 #RPSB (Size Extra Small) - $44.99
    Top Contender 4x7 #CRPSB (Size Extra Small) - $19.99

The Everlast 9x6 is the heaviest, it's solidy constructed and feels like a ton of bricks compared to the other bags. Which got me to thinking, just how much of a weight difference is there amongst these bags? I appropriated the kitchen food scale and got to work ...

The Everlast weighs in at a mere 8 oz.

The Title 8x5 has a noticeably lighter feel, and the scale doesn't lie, 6 oz.:

The 8x5 Classic model is even lighter, despite being advertised as having approx the same dimensions as the yellow title bag - 5.2oz :

The Rinside 8x5 with it's elongated banana shape is a real lightweight at a tiny bit over 4 oz:

And finally, the top contender bag is also a lightweight, at a tiny bit over 4 oz.

I hope that helps put some perspective on just how much of a difference there can be between bags, even those of the same dimensions. The difference between some of these bags is a mere 1 ounce, but can easily be felt when hitting.

I don't have a lot of board time on most of these bags yet, so further analysis will come later.
    Last edited by Tim; 11-27-2006, 08:42 PM.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I'll never forget how I felt when i first got my Title Classic 8x5 bag, I thought I had been ripped off with some toy because I had been using an Everlast 10x7, which is a real heavyweight compared to that thing. You really notice a difference when hitting it too, it demands a different style when hitting it!
    Last edited by Chris M; 11-28-2006, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Bag size and weight.

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
      I'll never forget how I felt when i first got my Ringside Classic 8x5 bag, I thought I had been ripped off with some toy because I had been using an Everlast 10x7, which is a real heavyweight compared to that thing. You really notice a difference when hitting it too, it demands a different style when hitting it!
      Chris: are you sure it's the Ringside Classic 8x5, or do you mean the Title classic 8x5? When I got my first Title classic 8x5 I was reminded of the old "feather" punching routines from karate. Had to work with it for a week or so before I finally got comfortable with the lightness.
      ++++++++++++++++++++++

Great Post, Tim. I have all those bags shown (...and a bunch of others: Tufwear, Champion, Hitman, etc...)
      I have never weighed them myself, but your analysis is correct. Some bags feel like a heavy brick next to others. I am surprised the 8c5 Red banana Ringside is so light. That bag feels heavy to me. Maybe it is just the longer shape, but if feels like a brick with I'm punching it.

And I believe Chris is correct. Changing bags, say from a "heavy" 9x6 to a lighter one, or putting the tiny 6x4 on the hook - demands a different style of hitting. You will not have to pound so hard to keep it going fast. If you want a really brute cardio-workout, then the tiny light bag is not your best choice, for it takes a lighter punching motion.

Then again, it's a lot easier on your hands....
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Chris: are you sure it's the Ringside Classic 8x5, or do you mean the Title classic 8x5? When I got my first Title classic 8x5 I was reminded of the old "feather" punching routines from karate. Had to work with it for a week or so before I finally got comfortable with the lightness.
        ++++++++++++++++++++++

Great Post, Tim. I have all those bags shown (...and a bunch of others: Tufwear, Champion, Hitman, etc...)
        I have never weighed them myself, but your analysis is correct. Some bags feel like a heavy brick next to others. I am surprised the 8c5 Red banana Ringside is so light. That bag feels heavy to me. Maybe it is just the longer shape, but if feels like a brick with I'm punching it.

And I believe Chris is correct. Changing bags, say from a "heavy" 9x6 to a lighter one, or putting the tiny 6x4 on the hook - demands a different style of hitting. You will not have to pound so hard to keep it going fast. If you want a really brute cardio-workout, then the tiny light bag is not your best choice, for it takes a lighter punching motion.

Then again, it's a lot easier on your hands....
        You are right, it is the Title Classic.

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Just for reference, I weighed one of my Everlast 4205's, tips the scale at 14 ounces.

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

I should weigh my Title 10x14 just for grins! That thing is a monster but I love it!

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

The 4205's seem to vary in size slightly depending upon whe they were made. Average appears to be 14x12. Yeah they're big..............

Comment

• rellik134
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Nov 2006

Just curious. Why is it on the title site http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html it shows the red title bag being 9x6 and the yellow being 8x5? They might have changed the colors or they at one point gave an option of color.

Comment

• BillyMack
                  • Sep 2006

Perhaps you are confusing the Standard Red 6 x 9

with the Title Classic which comes in 2 sizes, 5 x 8 and 6 x 9

Kind of a pain to keep 'em all straight...

Comment

• rellik134
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Nov 2006

I see thanks.

Comment

• ribbs
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Dec 2006

HI Tim,

I appreciate you putting the different sizes of speed bags on the scales. I have a 4200 everlast and the 6 by 4 pro everlast speed bag. I was disapointed with the 6by 4 bag. I wanted more speed. Yes the 6by 4 speed bag may be smaller as far as a target goes but it seems to light. I am counting nine to ten rebounds with one punch vs. twelve with my 4200 nine by six. I am thinking about by the astro everlast speed bag eight by five for greater speed. Anyway , it seems that you are doing your homework on what speed bags are the lights to heaviest. I am not sure lighter means faster however. What do you think! Ribbs.

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                        • Oct 2006

i think that a lot of the bag rebound has to do with what kind of bladder is in the bag itself, or at least thats my theory. i feel like the rubber has a quicker restitution (trapoline effect) rate as opposed to the plastic. the plastic is noticably lighter in my opinion. i posed a question about bladders a week or so ago and no one responded.

Comment

• ribbs
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2006

Response

You know what, I really think that you are correct.I put plastic in all my speed bags to acheive faster rebounds. Rubber blatters are best.I still think that the astro 8by 5 everlast might be the missing speed bag in my collection though. I,m looking for the heaviest eight by five. Have you tried this speed bag yourself?

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                            • Oct 2006

i have not tried that speed bag. ive hit and owned the ringside's, title's, and everlast's. i would like to try a rival, a top contender(ringside), and tko(high end version). in my opinion, those are the ones worth trying, but then again, they are also the ones that market their equipment more and if they arent leather, then i dont think they are worth a damn. i tend to like heavier bags as well with the exception of my title yellow(5x8) which is very light. but i think its weight has a lot to do with its bladder. i might change it just to see.

Comment

• ribbs
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Dec 2006

from speed bag to double end bag

I decided about a year ago to by a double end bag from everlast. Well I bought the largest sizes classic red. It seemed to be way to slow and it broke. So I bought the smallest everlast pro use heavy use, its yellow and black. At first it was difficult to throw combinations because it simply was to quick. It is without a doubt the fast moving target that I have ever worked with.To pinpoint my accuracy, I decided to work with the 4by6 speed bag that I was writing about earlier.Within one session I was able to pick up the movements off of the floor bag. When it came to timing, I decided that I had to move my upper body and feet to create better angles for combinations. Man all I can tell you, is that it is nothing short of fun to combine small speed bag and small double bag training. When you think about it. I had to adjust my whole approach when it came to hand speed improvements.

What I don't get is , the four by six is slower than my 2400 six by nine.I don't get why I was able to improve in hand eye coordination. The only thing I can think of is that the small speed bag is the same color as the floor bag. The one fact remains,is that I would have never been able to workout with the double end bag wiht these results without speed bag exsposure.

Speed bags rule!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...