X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • morphiusrt
    • Mar 2019

New guy with a couple videos looking for feedback

I'm about 3 months into speed bagging. Below are a few videos I made. I am struggling with linking into and out of the forward fist roll as well as a few other transitions. Looking for some pointers. I've started the speed bag bible dvd but I want to get linking the fist roll before I move forward with the next combos.

• Cazbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2018

1st off awesome setup! Gear looks sweet. Good stuff for only 3 months. Be patient keep er slow and under control when practicing linking techniques together. For me I found success linking the left circle punch to the fist roll with "LCP" becoming 1st punch of fist roll. Being under the board and relaxed is best start to have and you got several awesome choices to be under.

Comment

• BagBoy
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2018

I'll second the nice setup you got goin' there. Annnd you're learning on the vertical board while learning on a regular platform. Great way to do it!

..don't know why I took down my vertical set-up..
      Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• morphiusrt
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
        I'll second the nice setup you got goin' there. Annnd you're learning on the vertical board while learning on a regular platform. Great way to do it!

..don't know why I took down my vertical set-up..
        Thank you for the kind words. I spent some time putting this setup together and I am happy with the way it came out. You can't find a weak spot or a vibration at all.

After about 10-20 mins on the regular bag when I can barely hold my arms up I go to the vertical bag and work different muscles until I'm ready to go back to the regular bag.

Just started watching elbow strikes on the speed bag bible. I have a lot to learn!!!

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

First off.... Welcome to the fringe! You are doing GREAT for just 3 months!!!
          Just keep at it. "The King" taught me to go slow & once you have the combination down...the speed comes naturally.

Trust me...you slow-bag for an 1 1/2 hours...you still feel it.

"Hitting the speed bag slow really makes you concentrate and focus on each strike of the bag. Keeping a steady tempo and throwing combinations is always a challenge (for me at least)! As Alan Kahn says, "it's a control bag"...learn slow and the speed comes natural. This is just the best workout ever."
          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by morphiusrt View Post
            I'm about 3 months into speed bagging. Below are a few videos I made. I am struggling with linking into and out of the forward fist roll as well as a few other transitions. Looking for some pointers. I've started the speed bag bible dvd but I want to get linking the fist roll before I move forward with the next combos.

Hey morphiusrt,

ZaZa is right. You are doing very well for 3 months. Watching and listening to your video's brings a few things to mind. (Yes the bag sound tells you as much, and more sometimes, as watching.) The bag sounds are solid when hitting continuously from the front but I hear a lot of "chanks" of the swivel being jammed upward when linking. That comes from the bag being driven upward. That comes from two reasons, - either hitting the bag "late in the rebound" meaning it has crossed the center point of the rebound arc and now your regular punch hits below the belly because the bag is now angled toward the fist instead of away from it, OR...your hands are too low and return to the bag to punch from the low position, moving upward and drive the bag upward because of the punch angle, not necessarily the bag angle.

And these two are related. IF your hands are too far away from the bag, AND at a low setting by your waist or stomach, then it's a good bet you'll hit a bit late in the rebound - and in an upward direction,

my eyes and ears tell me you have a little of both, which is not unusual for a "newbie". It tells me you are probably "thinking about doing" a certain thing (technique or linking through) and that brings a bit of hesitation to your movement. As you get more comfortable from all sides of the bag (remember, you got sides also...) you will find yourself more reacting with a smooth flow, rather than thinking about what you're doing. Right now I myself am working on some of the more advanced combo's that Matt and a few others do, and I suck at them because I'm having to think about them while doing them. Normally when it's gets bad I'll back away from the bag and just air punch the combo to get the movements and directions more smooth. Our conscious brain is almost always behind the bag, making us late on a punch.

Back to you, notice when you're linking your hear a lot of "bag hits". Check you position and smooth your movements if possible. When Linking a single fist front-to-back the fist should not "stop" on either side. The flow is (should be) continuous without hesitation. When you stop, you have to restart, that takes a moment more time and you're late in the rebound.

Your actual Fist Rolling is not bad, on either side of the bag, But control could be better. IMO, just me.... you won't get "more control" by just Fist Rolling to failure. In the Front, and Reverse, you did fist rolls until you crashed and burned, which kind of promotes failure BECAUSE it doesn't matter how many times (fist count) you can do a roll, the key is know how to get "IN" and "OUT" of a roll from (1) the same side and (2) going to - or - coming from the opposite side, or, linking to and from the fist roll.

Both are pretty simple when you know the trick, which is Always "the last fist of the Roll" and the "First Fist of the Roll". This will be clearer in a minute....

First, to get fist rolling control, try this. Start with single fist punching, say a few (3) Front Circle Punches (FCP), with three rebounds in between. This will get the bag in motion and establish speed. It will also get the bag moving, and it is always easier to learn fist rolling from a moving bag. Because it gives you the correct bag angle for the Roll, which ideally is mid-way between the board and straight under the swivel. It's easier with the bag at the proper angle. Then, after your 3 FCP, start the roll and ONLY DO 5 punches - then back out to the same side single punching.

FCP ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' F-Rollx5

with fist contacts this is: R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R-L-R-L-R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R ' ' ' R

NOTICE that the R right fist starts the roll and the R ends the roll and returns to start the FCPx3 This helps you learn to gain control of starting and ending a fist roll. You can do this exercise from with R-Roll also, doing 3 Reverse Single Punches (RSP) to a Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll). You can also add a fist making it a six punch roll to learn how to enter and exit with opposite fist.

Doing a 5 Punch Roll, quick in an out, is much better than just Rolling, Rolling , Rolling until you crash. That doesn't practice anything.

The above should help for Same Side Rolling. NOW to tackle Fist Rolling and Linking sides.

Secret is knowing that Linking always involves TWO points. (1) the last fist in the technique that hits the bag before you change sides and (2) the first fist to hit the bag on the "other side" of the bag. (this could also be the elbow, if you pass a Reverse Single Punch (RSP) to the Front Outward Elbow technique. (RSP ' ' O-TES). and sometimes it involves a third point (3) the fist before the last fist in the technique. This is important when linking BOTH FISTS through the bag, Which you are doing when changing sides with Fist Rolling.

So, linking FROM a Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) -to- A Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll) is written like this

F-Roll x5 ' ' R-Roll x5 ' ' F-Roll....

With Fists, that is

R-L-R-L-R ' ' R-L-R-L-R ' ' R-L-R-L-R

Notice the RED L-R. These are the last two fists to hit the bag in the F-Roll. the move is very similar to linking a Front Double Punch (FDP) to Reverse Double Punch (RDP). But you can practice this without the bag. Have your fists Roll "R-L-R-L" over each other, and then when the 4th fist L hits, extend it straight out about 2 inches then when that last fist "R" hits extend it out also, and you will notice that your left fist is extended out further a bit than your right. AT this point, your Right will return (its closer) to be the First fist of the R-Roll.

The linking Reverse to front, do the same thing. Use a 5 punch R-Roll and let fists 4 and 5 come forward to the front.

You can also do this single fist linking to fist rolls exercise.

Keep both fists in Front of Bag. Do Single Fist Linking Front to Reverse two or three times to establish link control the do Fist rolls on the same side only.

FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' F-Roll x5 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' F-Rollx 5

above you are (1) exiting the F-Roll to single fist linking and (2) going to the F-Roll from a RSP. eventually you can progress this using both fists with Front Double Punch (FDP) and Reverse Double Punch(RDP). It's a bit more advanced because it adds a fist on both sides, but the linking connection is the same.

NOW, the same exercise as above but keeping your hands behind the bag.
            (both arms extended behind bag. The left fist will just hang out back there waiting to come in at the right time... )

RSP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' R-Roll x5 ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FCP....repeat.

Again the right fist (or dominate fist) will do the linking, start and end each R-Roll.

Also try this with the non-dominate hand doing the linking, just to keep it equal.

SO......now you can do the above exercises and "connect them" by linking Both fists from one side to the other and let the lead fist of that link just hang out on the other side (front or reverse) and come in when necessary.

I know this was long and arduous however, IF you read these and "Practice with a Purpose" - do them without the bag, then with the bag, and focus on what the drills will teach. You want to link fists and rolls around the bag...?
            I'm confident they will help you learn this.

Last edited by Speedbag; 06-14-2019, 08:26 PM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• morphiusrt
              • Mar 2019

Going slow is something I need to do more often. That has helped me quite a bit with some of the new combos. I sometimes have a tendency to jump right into trying to do it fast.

As always excellent info Alan. I haven't had much time to put into practicing this. But I did get to the fist roll improvements you mentioned. Attached is a video after about 20mins of practicing what you said for the fist roll. I am still thinking about it to much and you can tell in the beginning of the video.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...