• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sed26
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2007

Tips for keeping the F-ROLL (Fist Roll) going straight

Today I practiced and not mastered, but can do it fast, the reverse basic 3 count hit and the technique where you hit it in the front and then the back alternating between the two. The technique where you do the figure 8 movement. All in less than an hour. Next time I go I'm going to try to put them together so I can alternate techniques continuously without practicing them seperately. Now my only problem is the fist roll technique. I just can't keep the bag going straight. Any tips on this technique?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Front Fist Roll technique

Originally posted by sed26 View Post
    Today I practiced and not mastered, but can do it fast, the reverse basic 3 count hit and the technique where you hit it in the front and then the back alternating between the two. The technique where you do the figure 8 movement. All in less than an hour. Next time I go I'm going to try to put them together so I can alternate techniques continuously without practicing them seperately. Now my only problem is the fist roll technique. I just can't keep the bag going straight. Any tips on this technique?
    Sound like you're making great progress...

For Fist Rolling in general, I wouldn't worry to much about keeping the bag going Straight, as much as to just keep it going continuously. The bag rarely goes "directly straight" each rebound, but that will also get better with practice. On way to be more successful with fist rolling as a beginner is to keep them short. Get in and get out quick. 4-5 rebounds, than out. Normally the next punch will fix or straighten the bag if the last rebound was slightly off, and with short fist rolls the bag should not get too far off line before you are out of it. Doing this, you can learn control while being successful and not breaking down.

You really need to separate the Front (F-Roll) and Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll), for the techniques of doing each are slightly different. In the F-Roll, Keep the elbows high and try to lock the bag in the center of a "V", with the elbows being the open end and the fists near the chin as the point. The fists slightly overlap and roll over each other. The bag will be in the center. I find it easier to keep the bag "near" the face by leaning into the bag, - not reaching out for the bag. With this position and a slight lean into the bag, you will shorten the rebound distance to the board, making your roll a bit faster, and reducing the chance for the bag to go offline. If you reach or extend your fists in the F-Roll, the bag will be outside the "V", and the rebound angles will start to wonder around the board.

You can get out of the F-Roll Four different ways. First, by exiting the Roll and hitting from the same side (front) after three rebounds. It doesn't matter what technique you use - It will happen after 3 or 5 rebounds. Second, you can pass the last fist (single fist) through the bag to the reverse side (single fist linking). Third, you can link both fists (Double Fist Linking) to Reverse Double Punching, Reverse Fist Rolling or continuous Double Fist Linking. Forth, you can exit the F-Roll to a split fist combination, either Front-Reverse or Side-Side.

Reverse Fist Rolling (R-Roll) is a little different in that the elbows are not held so high, and the fists really do not "Roll over" each other as much as chop next to each other. You also lean back slightly to avoid hitting your nose, rather than lean forward. You can exit the
    R-Roll to the same four ways you do the Front Roll.

IMO, the (R-Roll) is the single hardest technique to get and control. At least in my experience, this has been the most difficult technique to teach. Keep them short and also practice all reverse punching to gain control from behind the bag.

hope this helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sed26
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2007

Thank you for your response. Those were some very helpful tips. I will practice another hour or more at the gym tomorrow. Now I see why some guys hit the bag so much because its addictive and fun. I'll have to buy my own.

Comment

• sed26
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2007

I don't know if I'm a really fast learner but in my hour practice today I learned all the techniques, excluding the elbow technique because I haven't gotten to that yet. Mr. Speedbag, that advice you gave to me was gold. All I did was got closer to the bag and no mater how fast I hit the bag, it always stayed in line and didn't swivel off. I couldn't believe how easy that was. I did it on the first try. I also can put all the combinations that I learned together now. I haven't mastered it yet but I'm really close. I can also do all the reverse punches. I didn't try the reverse fist roll for long because today was my chest workout and I was too tired to hit it that way. But I tried it and it seemed to be pretty easy. Not as easy as the front but easy enough. I think I may go to the gym tomorrow and practice more. Thanks for your advice.
        Last edited by sed26; 07-13-2007, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...