• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pink Punk
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2013

Which is a good bag to buy?

I am a female 140 lbs looking to purchase my first heavy bag. I am a beginner so I need some suggestions of which one to buy. I want one that has a loop on the bottom for me to tie down.
    Please help!
  • bbally
    • Jan 2013

What form are you fighting?
    sgt
    USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

Comment

• bbally
      • Jan 2013

What style are you fighting? That will help me help you with the bag
      sgt
      USMC 79-85

Thanks to all who continue to serve... and to those that answered the call in the past!

Comment

• Salvatore Tortellini
        • Feb 2013

Most any of the heavy bags will work. I feel that a bag in the 70 lb range is all that most folks need. It is light enough that it moves when you hit and and makes you move when you throw combinations. A smooth bag like bonded nylon or leather is easier on your gloves then a rough bag like canvass which will abrade them and you. A water/foam bag (Title makes a good one) is easier on your joints and feels more human. Use a heavy bag spring and if possible a length of chain to hang it. A really heavy bag will tend to remain in one position and not move enough (and over a long period of time can be rough on your joints). Also, always, ALWAYS!!!!use wraps when hitting the heavy bag. Your hands and wrists have a lot of delicate bones and when you get tired it is very easy to hit on the contoured rounded side of the heavy bag especially when throwing hooks and rolling your wrist.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

• john.williamss2012
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Apr 2013

Depends on the price, design and quality of the material. If you don't care that much, go look at Samsonite with advance bags online shopping facility. I have this one currently.

Comment

• Salvatore Tortellini
            • Feb 2013

Pink Punk,
            I'm going to try this again. My first reply didn't go through. I would look for a bag in the 70 to 80 lb range. Bigger is not always better. You don't want a bag that is so heavy that it doesn't hardly move when you hit it. People don't stand still they move when fighting. A bag in the 70 to 80 lb range will move enough to force you to move with it to land your combinations.
            A reinforced nylon bag or leather bag is much better then a canvass bag because the rough surface of the canvass will play havoc with your bag gloves, hands and equipment. Always use a heavy bag spring and if you have enough room a length of chain when you hang it. Ringside and Title both sell relatively cheap swivels which will keep the bag from winding up and unwinding like a top when you are striking it.
            Always, ALWAYS where hand wraps when you are hitting the heavy bag. There are lots of small bones in your hands and wrists and the wraps will help to keep you from rolling your wrist when you get tired and hit the bag off center. Especially when throwing hooks when you are a wee bit tired.
            Title and Ringside are good places to purchase a bag. I f money is a problem (shipping can be expensive) you can buy one that is unfilled and stuff it yourself. The best way to do that is to go a rag supply store and buy 75 lbs of rags and then get someone to help you cram them in. You can use a sledge hammer like a butter churn while getting someone to hold the bag open for you.
            Go to Sherdog.com and check the equipment review sections of the forums for other opinions. There is a lot of information there but you have to separate the wheat from the chaff.
            I hope this helps.

Comment

• Salvatore Tortellini
              • Feb 2013

I have tried to post a reply twice for Pink Punk but somehow I am being directed to the silly response about a samsonite suit case.

Comment

• Salvatore Tortellini
                • Feb 2013

I am going to try posting this again (my third time). I would purchase a heavy bag in the 70 lb. range. A regular shaped bag about 42 inches long by 14 inches wide would be considered standard. I would get a smooth bag with either a reinforced nylon outer facing or a leather bag. A rough textured canvass bag is very hard on your bag gloves. Most boxers use bags in the seventy range because they want the bag to move when they strike it. Unless you plan on fighting statues you want the bag to move when you throw your combinations. That way you have to move with it and around it. I don't see any reason for a loop securing the bottom of the bag for this reason. Bag movement is a good thing. It makes you think and prepare.
                Title and Ringside both sell excellent equipment. If I was you I would try and purchase an unfilled bag and then go to a rag distribution business and purchase 80 lbs of clean rags. Get a friend to help you stuff the bag. You can use an inverted sledge hammer - like a butter churn to help compact the rags into the bag. Use a bathroom scale to get the bag to the exact weight that you want. This will save you about $100 in shipping fees and also you will have a bag tailored to your exact requirements.
                Always, ALWAYS use hand wraps when hitting the bag. Bag gloves will protect your knuckles but do nothing for the many small bones in your hands and wrists. It is very easy to roll your wrists by striking the cylindrical part of the bag when you are tired and not using proper form especially when ending a combination with a hook. Hope this helps. Also if you check the equipment review forums on Sherdog.com there will be a lot of info there. Just try and separate the wheat from the chaff.

Comment

• Will
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • May 2013

I have worked on a LOT of different bags and have never been 100% happy with any of them, until now. My comments may not be helpful to you if you're boxing specific (I practice in mma) because the bag I am happy with is a Muay Thai / "banana bag" that I got from KO Fightgear. However my comments will still hopefully give you some pointers you can use to find a bag that's good for you.

First my complaints with bags: when boxing, my mma gym has a few boxing-specific bags. One is about 250 lbs so feels like you're hitting a wall. Another is about 70 lbs which, for me at 200 lbs, feels like hitting air. The one I use is about 125 lbs and has a nice 'sweet spot' at about chin height. One of the things to look for in a bag is 'the sweet spot'. It's the place where you hit and your hand sinks into the bag just a bit: it's firm but with 'give' to absorb the strike. Here's the problem with this particular bag: it's mechanically / hydraulically filled which means that the bottom is too crammed (ie hard and hurts my hands if I hit there, even taped and wearing 14 oz gloves) and the top 25% of the bag is underfilled so my hand just sinks deep into it (and overextends my elbow). (This pretty much describes my complaints with the gym's Muay Thai bags too: each has its own little spot that is sweet, but no one bag was usable in multiple areas. So I am throwing low kicks into one; higher kicks into another; knees into a third; etc. I can't get a full workout on one bag).

One of my reasons for getting a KO Fightgear bag is that it's hand filled. The whole six feet of it is 'the sweet spot'. Whether throwing punches at head or body height, hooks at rib height, knees at thigh height, kicks at shin height or head butts at the top (I am just under 6' and this is a 6' bag): it's all 'sweet'. And since I am throwing head butts: I CANNOT have metal grommets or studs sticking out of the bag securing it to the hanging straps ... something else to consider. Lots of manufacturers have metal on the surface of the bag, creating a danger for us who'd hit into that area.

You'll save a lot of money in mail ordering an empty shell, but you'll always regret it: the way the bag is stuffed makes all the difference in the world. Unless you're broke and have to use a Do It Yourself bag: pay the shipping to get a bag that is already stuffed. Hand stuffed: mechanical is a very poor substitute. And stuffed with rags, not sand or a combination that includes sand. Sand inevitably settles to the bottom, creating a hard as rock area down there. The other thing to watch out for is a bag with a foam 'liner' or 'wrap': this is where there is an inner bag that is wrapped with 1" or more of closed cell foam, then wrapped with the bag's outer fabric. These liners will give the illusion of the 'sweet spot' from top to bottom ... until use breaks down the cells and you're left with an inner bag flopping around inside the bag's fabric, and what used to be the foam is now dust and lumps dropping down in between the two layers.

Comment

• Salvatore Tortellini
                    • Feb 2013

I am going to give some information which differs somewhat from Will's. I don't believe that there is any wrong or right here it's just a matter of preferences.
                    First off, I would purchase a heavy bag that's outer shell is constructed of leather or smooth reinforced nylon not canvass. This is because a rough heavy bag will quickly abrade your leather bag gloves which can become really expensive over time and disheartening.
                    K.O. gear makes excellent products and is a highly respected company. I come from a boxing background and in most boxing gyms you will see a number of different style heavy bags. The standard bag is about 42 inches long by about 14 inches in diameter and weighs from 70 to 90 lbs. Some may weigh a bit more depending upon how compactly they are stuffed and if there is a plastic tube containing sand to give the bag more weight centered inside.
                    Boxers from flyweights to heavyweights utilize these bags. A bag of 70 to 80 lbs will move when you hit it. This is a good thing unless you intend on fighting statues. It takes more skill to develop combinations and throw them correctly at a bag that is moving and makes you move with it. Kind of a dangerous dance between you and your opponent the heavy bag. That is why speedy boxers like heavyweight champion Floyd Patterson primarily used a 70 lb bag. If a person thinks that a 70 or 80 lb bag will not give them a good workout I will simply say that I disagree.
                    Regardless of what weight bag you decide to purchase I would hang it with as much chain as the ceiling will allow and always use a heavy bag spring. The spring will absorb much of the shock of a bouncing and moving heavy bag, make it more lively and save your joists and wrists.
                    I would also always, always,always wrap my hands and wrists because after a few rounds if you are working hard you are going to get tired and it is very easy especially when throwing hooks to lose form and land on the circular part of the cylindrical bag and tweak your wrist. A good set of wraps goes a long, long way to preventing injuries.
                    Lastly, it's not hard to stuff a heavy bag. Folks have done it forever and a day. The best thing to use is clean, rags. You can generally purchase them in bulk from a shop that sells cleaning supplies for janitors. One person holds the bag open and the other drops rags into the bag. The person dropping rags uses a sledge hammer upside down like a butter churn to compact the rags. Drop a few rags churn with the hammer and continue this until the proper weight is achieved. Have a scale on the floor next to the bag so that you can check it to get weight that you desire. The more that you compact the rags the better. It's not rocket science it just takes a little care and time. You can save yourself a ton of money and purchase a more expensive bag to boot by stuffing it in this manner. Good luck and keep punching.

Comment

• Salvatore Tortellini
                      • Feb 2013

I'm going to give some advice somewhat different from William's. I come from a boxing background so my thoughts are grounded there. I would advise on purchasing a heavy bag with a smooth outer skin - either leather or reinforced nylon. The reason being is that a rough bag like one made with cordura or canvass is very hard on your equipment. The rough texture of the bag quickly degrades bag gloves and a good protective pair of bag gloves are not inexpensive.
                      The standard heavy bag in boxing is about 14 inches in diameter and about 42 inches long weighing from 70 to 100 lbs. With most in the 70 to 80 lb range. The reason being is that you want the bag to move when you hit it unless you plan on boxing statues. The more the bag moves (within reason) the more you have to move while throwing your various combinations. The dance you are doing with the bag makes it all the more difficult and vigorous. This is why Floyd Patterson (a Olympic and heavyweight champion) preferred a 70 lb bag. Countless boxers from flyweight to heavyweight have used this size bag.
                      It is not difficult to stuff your own bag. Countless folks have done it in order to save a lot of money on shipping. Most quality bags are stuffed with clean rags. The easiest way to do this is visit a local rag company that sells rags to janitorial services. Purchase 75 to 100 lbs of clean rags. Get a friend to help you. One of you holds the mouth of the heavy bag open the other drops rags inside. Once you dump a a few handfuls in the person dropping the rags in takes a sledge hammer and inverting it and using it like a butter churn packs the rags down compacting them. You drop some rags and compact them with the butter churn action of the hammer over and over until the bag is filled to your satisfaction. Have a scale on hand in order to check the weight of the bag as you progress in order to have it weigh exactly what you are trying for.
                      Also when you hang the bag make sure that you use a heavy bag spring. These are available from Title and Ringside for about ten dollars. They will drastically reduce the shock on your house's joists and also your bodies joints and are well worth the little they cost.
                      Lastly, always wrap your hands and wrists with handwraps. There are a lot of small bones in your hands and wrists and when you get into this and are really working hard it is easy to lose form androll your wrist and if they are not properly wrapped.
                      I hope this helps.

Comment

• sendmorecops
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • May 2012

Kofg

I can attest to the quality of KO Fight Gear bags. I've had their 130lb bag for over a year now and it's just top notch. Made to last a lifetime. They use high quality vinyl. Not the cheap thin type of lesser bags but the industrial strength kind they use to make river rafts. I'm a heavy striker and if I wiped the dust and dirt off my bag it would look brand new. They're packed so well too, way better than anyone could do by hand on their own. Anyways just want to put my two cents in. Good luck. They also have a tear drop style which I've been thinking about getting for knees/Thai clench etc.

Comment

• PeterJ
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Nov 2015

You should read this:

I don't think you need a 100 pound bag. Everlast bags are easy to get but I do not think they are a quality product. You want something that is sturdy but easy on the hands. Good gloves are important and you will need wrapping. I am teaching my 19 year old daughter. I got her the quick wraps with gel in them. I find it difficult to go out and actually see and try the different bags and types. I had to rely on articles and descriptions. I spent a lot of money when I purchased a new bag after I knocked out my Everlast bag. I don't think you need to spend nearly that much.

At Ringside, we are serious about fight sports, especially boxing and MMA. We offer the best prices on boxing equipment in addition to videos, tutorials, and guides. Low-cost shipping guaranteed!

Comment

• leviscarol
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Oct 2017

It totally depends upon your budget and choice.The best is you may also opt to shop online by listing your budget too.

Comment

• speedbagnoob
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Nov 2017

I like the Everlast heavybag with the speed bag bundle. But as you can probably tell from my username, I almost never use the speedbag. The speedbag is a little lacking if you compare it with some Title's but it works.

Here's a good review of the bundle if anyone is interested in it:

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...