what speed bag do i need?(first speed bag)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rom
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2012

what speed bag do i need?(first speed bag)

hello guys
    i am 14 years old and i wont to buy my first speed bag im practicing mma and muay thai i am willing to start with the speed bag to improve my boxing skills
    i didnt manage to understand from my research in the forum what speed bag do i need thet will fit my needs and will help me improve my boxing skills by improving my

1.Hand-Eye Coordination

2.hand speed,Rhythm and Timing

3.devoloping hands and shoulders muscels Endurance

4.make my punches stronger (didnt understand if its possible)

i didnt understand from my research what size and kind of speed bag i need and what makers are recomanded if you can i will be happy for advices and recomandations and explanations about the differences between the bags sizes,makers and so on with hope thet after theese explanations i will be able to choose my first speed bag (and what bag you think will be the right one for me)
    waiting to your aswers
    thanks rom
    Last edited by rom; 11-06-2012, 07:16 AM.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I'm partial to the Title bags - I would recommend 10x7 or 9x6 for a beginner size.

My current favorite is the "Gyro" line:

I would recommend you buy off the Internet if at all possible... you will find speed bags in Sports Authority and other sporting goods stores, but they are nowhere near the quality of what you can get from the web.

Tim

Comment

• rom
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Nov 2012

another question

thenks tim i am checking this bag but i still have a question
      1. why do you recomand on this bag

2. why this sizes (if you can explain me the the difrences between sizes for me to understand what bag i need?

3. i will be happy for swivels and platforms recomandations and explanations too

4. how does the gyro part effects my training advantages vs disadvantages?

waiting for more replys,explanations and opinions

still a bit

rom
      Last edited by rom; 11-06-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by rom View Post
        thenks tim i am checking this bag but i still have a question
        1. why do you recomand on this bag
        It's durable, it looks nice, it rebounds nicely and the price is very affordable.

2. why this sizes (if you can explain me the the difrences between sizes for me to understand what bag i need?
        10x7 ad 9x6 are slow enough for a beginner that you won't get frustrated, at the same time you mentioned developing punching power - a 10x7 or 9x6 is a great muscular workout when hitting it hard and fast. It's got enough weight to it that you are going to get one heck of a shoulder burn quickly...

3. i will be happy for swivels and platforms recomandations and explanations too
        I recommend a "ball hook" style swivel. Unfortunately these are hard to come by - but both MsDeville and JumpCannon (forum members) sell a ball hook swivel that they make. For a beginner , an everlast Pro swivel is probably OK for a start. We recommend ball hook because it is very accurate for side punches.

4. how does the gyro part effects my training advantages vs disadvantages?
        It's marketing hype, it means nothing. But it's a nice looking bag and it "feels" very nice.

Comment

• swebag
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Nov 2012

Hi,

What would be the difference between the Title Gyro bags:

and the regular ones
          http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html ?

Could you say, one is better than the other or is it just a matter of taste?

Thanks

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by swebag View Post
            Hi,

What would be the difference between the Title Gyro bags:

and the regular ones
            http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html ?

Could you say, one is better than the other or is it just a matter of taste?

Thanks
            That Gyro bag is a close knock off to the older everlast gyro series. Many of us in here remember the 9x6 everlast model 4200. That was my favorite bag for over 20 years. The Title Gyro looks and acts exactly like it. I've had a couple of these and they give a reliable rebound, but feel just a bit slow compared to other bags of the same size. That's just my opinion. I imagine if the bladder was changed it would help a bit.

But the Title brand bags are great bags at a fairly inexpensive price. the red 9x6 regular is a very nice bag and I still use mine at times for slower songs. I would suggest if you already have the title brand bags there is really no functional reason to buy the gyro, other than curiosity to see how it hits. If you get it, you'll like it but it's not any better than the others. again, IMO.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

hello guys
              i am 14 years old and i wont to buy my first speed bag im practicing mma and muay thai i am willing to start with the speed bag to improve my boxing skills
              i didnt manage to understand from my research in the forum what speed bag do i need thet will fit my needs and will help me improve my boxing skills by improving my

1.Hand-Eye Coordination

2.hand speed,Rhythm and Timing

3.devoloping hands and shoulders muscels Endurance

4.make my punches stronger (didnt understand if its possible)

i didnt understand from my research what size and kind of speed bag i need and what makers are recomanded if you can i will be happy for advices and recomandations and explanations about the differences between the bags sizes,makers and so on with hope thet after theese explanations i will be able to choose my first speed bag (and what bag you think will be the right one for me)
              waiting to your aswers
              thanks rom
              Hello Rom.

Welcome to the forum.

Your questions really address achieving certain results from speed bag training, such as speed, strength, endurance etc. With insight into the equipment, how it works and how to use it to target certain types of results (speed, strength, endurance..) You can find a few answers to your training questions here.

Focused workouts for speed bag

As for equipment, I agree with ventanakaz. Get a good adjustable wall unit. Many of us like the i-box by Balazs.

Of course, there are other choices and it all comes down on your available wall space and how much you want to spend. But the key is to get a solid wall unit that is adjustable.

As for Swivel, my personal recommendation is Ballhook style, and the Deville ballhook is the most readily available, hand crafted and made by one of the coolest baggin' ladies on planet earth.

Any other swivel (chainlink or U-bolt) will work OK, but become a bit cranky on side techiques, as Tim indicated. Find swivel issues here.

As for bags, I agree with Tim. Get a 10x7 and a 9x6. Or for a bit more variety you could skip the 9x6 and get the smaller 8x5. then, let a bit of air out of the 8x5, so it hits a bit flat, and slower. this will come close to the 9x6 but allow you to inflate it full to a bag faster than the 9x6. If you learn pretty quick you will want the faster bag speed of the 8x5 eventually.

The reason I think you will definitely want the 10x7, or possible even a large 11x8 is for kicking. Since you are a martial artist, you may want to do some punch - kick variations and the larger bags are very helpful because the contact area of the bag is lower down under the board, allowing for some of the more upright foot positions of the crescent kicks, which are a bit scary on the smaller bags.

Also, they give a longer rebound arc so you can stand back a bit further to let you work Kick-Punch combinations as you move laterally or are working on footwork.

THE most important thing for you to focus on right now as a beginner is CONTROL. Forget "speed" bag. This is really all rhythmic movement and timing. At this point, every bag is much faster than you are and will quickly spin out of control until you learn to swing with the exact same force and motion REPETITIVELY with each hand. That is easier said than done, for the bag will accelerate or slow down with even the slightest bit of variation of punch and fist movement length or force. The greatest, fastest baggers are not really as FAST as they have learned to swing Repetitively with Consistent force from various directions. When you can do that, the bag will suddently slow down and do what you want it to.

As you progress, post some videos and we'll see how your doing.

Good luck and safe training.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• zodiac665
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Nov 2012

Thanks for the help guys. Just discovered the forum. Ordered my Title Gyro bag and waiting to hear from Deville to order a swivel.

What's your opinion on the Everlast adjustable platform. Will it work alright with my combo.

Comment

• rom
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Nov 2012

thank you!!!!!

thank you very much i was happy to know that my gym ordered a title gyro speed bag so i got the chance to try it i think im going to order it and im propably going to build my own platform because i heard that if you are building it from solid wood its very good for the swivel i must ask you if there is a good swivel in the stores or internet stores that is manufactured by one of the brands?

thank you very much

rom

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

thank you very much i was happy to know that my gym ordered a title gyro speed bag so i got the chance to try it i think im going to order it and im propably going to build my own platform because i heard that if you are building it from solid wood its very good for the swivel i must ask you if there is a good swivel in the stores or internet stores that is manufactured by one of the brands?

thank you very much

rom
                    I'd suggest the Deville Ballhook swivel as my personal favorite and a lot of others like it also. It is also the most readily available ballhook.

If you want another (non-ballhook) swivel than I'd go with Boxing deluxe pro from Title.

that's my suggestion. Good luck.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rom
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Nov 2012

bought it!!!! and another question

<thank you very much for the help!! i bought the title gyro speed bag and the title boxing deluxe pro swivel.
                      i have a little proublem with the bag he`s inside layer is inclined to one side of the bag and it is "missing" on the other side how can i fix it?
                      i will be glad if you can help me with it
                      By the way i am going to build my own platform so i hope i will upload some pictures in the near future

rom<

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

<thank you very much for the help!! i bought the title gyro speed bag and the title boxing deluxe pro swivel.
                        i have a little proublem with the bag he`s inside layer is inclined to one side of the bag and it is "missing" on the other side how can i fix it?
                        i will be glad if you can help me with it
                        By the way i am going to build my own platform so i hope i will upload some pictures in the near future

rom<
                        Sounds like you are describing a "warped" or lopsided bag after inflation. That is not an easy question to answer because it could be a bladder issue or a bag leather issue. Sometimes you can "punch it out" to the correct shape. I find this works IF ( big if ) it is only a slight warp. But if it is more like a bubble pooching out, that will not work.

The other issue is if the warp really effects the action of the bag. I have had slightly lopsided bags that looked "off" but punched just fine, meaning I didn't feel any variation in the bags action due to the slight odd shape. This might be a bit more difficult to feel if you are a beginner to speed bag and don't have a lot of experience on how a bag "is supposed" to react.

The only way to know what the true cause of the lopsidedness might be to change the bladder. Take the old bladder out and inflate it outside the bag. Check it's shape. Is it balanced? Then, Inflate a new bladder before putting it in to be sure it inflates evenly and the shape is correct. Then put it in the bag and inflate it. IF the bag is still lopsided, it is probably a bag construction problem in the leather, welting or something that cannot be easily corrected.

But opening bags and changing things usually voids any warranty, so.... if it's really lopsided and you're not happy with it, I would suggest you contact the company and send it back for an exchange.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by Speedbag; 12-14-2012, 12:30 PM.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...