• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paolo
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2006

Speed bag size

Hi, my name is Paolo and I'm from Italy. I don't speak English very well so you must be patience with me

I love drums and I think that speed bag can help me to improve my drumming... and my English too

I have two bags, an 11x8 bought in Italy (it's the only that i can find here) and an Everlast 4200 6x9 semi pro (from Title website). I always use the Everlast 6x9, because I find it's right for my fastest double and single stroke roll (rfsp-rfcp-lfsp-lfcp or rfcp-lfcp), it’s not too hard for my hands and I can try to increase speed and coordination more easly.

A question: is one great difference between 6x9 and 5x8 bags?

Thank you very much.

Great forum!!!
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hi, welcome to the forum. Excellent question. I don't know the answer as I have never used a bag smaller than 6 x 9, however, I'm thinking there is a fairly significant difference.

Speedbag's site has a good comparison picture on this page:

You can see a 6 x 9 and 5 x 8 bag side by side.

I should have a 5 x 8 size bag soon, I'll let you know what I think.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag size

Originally posted by Paolo
      Hi, my name is Paolo and I'm from Italy. I don't speak English very well so you must be patience with me

I love drums and I think that speed bag can help me to improve my drumming... and my English too

I have two bags, an 11x8 bought in Italy (it's the only that i can find here) and an Everlast 4200 6x9 semi pro (from Title website). I always use the Everlast 6x9, because I find it's right for my fastest double and single stroke roll (rfsp-rfcp-lfsp-lfcp or rfcp-lfcp), it’s not too hard for my hands and I can try to increase speed and coordination more easly.

A question: is one great difference between 6x9 and 5x8 bags? Great forum!!!
      HI Paolo,

the 5x8 will be slightly smaller and faster than the 6x9. But if you slightly overinflate your everlast 4200 (9x6) to make it very full and hard, the speed will increase up to the smaller bag. But this is bad for the bag, as overinflation creates a higher risk for blowout, and the hardness of the bag can hurt the unprotected hand.

You will experience a great speed change between your 11x8 and the 5x8. You will really have to swing smaller and keep your fists up near the contact area to keep it going.

As far as you being a "drummer", welcome to the club. I love the speed bag mostly because of it's potential for rhythmic expression. I'm just a frustrated Drummer trying to get a workout myself. The bag works perfectly as a "punch drum" and allows you to freely improvise punching rhythms to music - for the ultimate drummer/rhythm workout.

check out some of these.

Drum Cadence on Speed Bag

Jammin' on bag * listen to the bag beat with your eyes closed

Speed bag Drum solos

Choose a few speed bag to music samples * again listen with eyes closed. let your ears hear the bag beat..

***** For the drummer inside, punching the speed bag with fists and elbows from all around can really set you free. There is no limit to how you can use it with music. and it works to any type of music. ***********
      Last edited by Speedbag; 02-23-2006, 12:34 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Paolo
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
        I love the speed bag mostly because of it's potential for rhythmic expression.
        Yeah, it's true!

Punching my Everlast 6x9, I find be easier to hit the bag in front or rear to the logo side areas. The bag is not perfectly rounded, front and rear side areas are slightly larger than left and right side areas. Is it a feature?

Where I can find (in internet) a very good 5x8 speed bag?

I like short and teardrop shaped bags as the green/black 5x8 showed here

Thank you again

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

speed bag size

Yeah, it's true!

Punching my Everlast 6x9, I find be easier to hit the bag in front or rear to the logo side areas. The bag is not perfectly rounded, front and rear side areas are slightly larger than left and right side areas. Is it a feature?

Where I can find (in internet) a very good 5x8 speed bag?

I like short and teardrop shaped bags as the green/black 5x8 showed here

Thank you again
          Many bags are "irregular" in shape, and not perfectly balanced in look but most of the ones I have had will eventually "punch into shape" and correct the lopsidedness. If it doesn't, I'd get another one. I never had that problem too much with everlast bags, but occassionally one is mis-shapen. Hope it punches into shape for you.

for a really good 8x5 try the Yellow 5x8 by Titleboxing

I also have several of these and like them a lot: Red Classic 5x8 but the bag strap is kind of thick. Not sure why they did that, but it is a great bag. very light and well balanced. It is lighter than the yellow bag.

The green and black bag seen on your speedbagcentral link was a rare experiment by Ringside, and was discontinued. The had a big sale on discontinued and limited test models, and I got that one. It was actually a little too light in weight and was like punching a feather.

good luck.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I received my Title 8 x 5 yesterday.

The Ringside bag is a 9 x 6. I like the Title because it was only $10 more, but it's real leather - softer on the hands and it has that round shape. As far as difference in speed, it's minimal as Alan said it would be. I was able to pump it up and hang it and had a good rythm going immediately with no breakdowns. I wasn't expecting it to be that easy.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

8x5 speed bag

Originally posted by Tim
              I received my Title 8 x 5 yesterday.

The Ringside bag is a 9 x 6. I like the Title because it was only $10 more, but it's real leather - softer on the hands and it has that round shape. As far as difference in speed, it's minimal as Alan said it would be. I was able to pump it up and hang it and had a good rythm going immediately with no breakdowns. I wasn't expecting it to be that easy.

I haven't seen that particular Ringside bag. Looks like a new design. (Wow, bet those big red plastic vertical seams do a job on your bare hands..) And notice the two big metal brads by the loop strap. Every bag I ever had with those big metal side brads felt heavy to the hands.

The yellow 8x5 is a sweet little bag. I really like it. Right now, my hook has it's 9x6 red sister.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Fuzzy_donkey
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Mar 2006

Tim, I really like the shape your new 8x5 has to it.
                Nice looking bag.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

(Wow, bet those big red plastic vertical seams do a job on your bare hands..)

You just have to aim to avoid the seams Just kidding. It didn't bother me too much, but I don't hit the bag for many hours every week, usually 1.5 hours tops

And notice the two big metal brads by the loop strap. Every bag I ever had with those big metal side brads felt heavy to the hands.
                  I'd agree with that, having now hit the 8x5 Title. You can't tell when you have nothing to compare to, but once you do it does feel heavy.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

speed bag seams

The red vertical plastic seams will eventually pound flat if used enough. I had a few Everlast 4200 9x6 bags and pounded the seams flat to the bag surface.

takes a while, though
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Fuzzy_donkey
                      Tim, I really like the shape your new 8x5 has to it.
                      Nice looking bag.
                      Thanks. I finally got a decent workout in on it today (been really busy with work), I really like it

At this point I'd wholeheartedly recommend Title speed bags.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I also have several of these and like them a lot: Red Classic 5x8 but the bag strap is kind of thick. Not sure why they did that, but it is a great bag. very light and well balanced. It is lighter than the yellow bag.
                        These are currently on sale for $19.99 - that's about as cheap as speed bags get...

Comment

• Paolo
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Feb 2006

Now I’ve also a little 5x8 speed bag: just the Title Red Classic.

It’s really light... so light that’s difficult to keep it going at a constant speed. It slows down soon and you must hit the bag repetitively, fastly without pause. After a little training, I punch with smaller and faster movements and now the bag ‘flies’ under the drum (thanks Alan for your instructions!!!).

The shape is lightly thinner than the yellow bag, but I really like it.

Tim, have also you it same feeling with your new 8x5 yellow bag?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Title classic 8x5 speedbag

Now I’ve also a little 5x8 speed bag: just the Title Red Classic.

It’s really light... so light that’s difficult to keep it going at a constant speed. It slows down soon and you must hit the bag repetitively, fastly without pause. After a little training, I punch with smaller and faster movements and now the bag ‘flies’ under the drum (thanks Alan for your instructions!!!).

The shape is lightly thinner than the yellow bag, but I really like it.

Tim, have also you it same feeling with your new 8x5 yellow bag?
                            Yes, it is a very light bag. takes a while to get use to the lightness. It is very easy on the hands, and you don't have to pound it to get it to go fast.
                            Paolo, you are now learning to hit "faster", not "harder". It is difficult to explain, but you will know when you suddenly feel yourself doing it.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedboy
                              • Feb 2006

hi i have a big problem i have bought the title 8x5 yellow speedbag and the everlast pro chain link swivel but its slow i dont understand why because my platform is solid and another problem at the first hit the swivel change automatically the direction and this thing slow immediately the ball i will post a clip soon im very very disappointed because im in belgium and the shipping cost was high please help me !!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...