• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Hardest heart pump workout on bag

Sometimes I hit the bags for a marathon pass to try to go as long as possible.

Sometimes just fast, sometimes a combo of fast and slow, and sometimes with weights in between it all.

My hardest heart pump though comes from doing fast and hard left-right combos one after another, then going to right-left, then left-right-left, and just mixing those up. THAT gets my heart going. My heart is the limiting factor and not my muscles in that workout, whereas in all others it seems to be my muscles are the limiting factor, especially my damaged right shoulder.

What bag workout gives your heart the hardest pump?
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I dusted off the old heart rate monitor... next workout I'll get some readings... and let you know.

It supposed to indicate calories burned as well, not sure how accurate it is though.

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Tim, that's an excellent idea. As cheap as the heart monitors are today, I need to get one too.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        I dusted off the old heart rate monitor... next workout I'll get some readings... and let you know.
        Here's some numbers

Sitting around the house with a little movement (from the TV to the fridge to the xbox to the PC , etc.) I come in at about 45% - 50% of Max heart rate (MHR) which is 185. I'm 35 years old, and that's what the watch told me my MHR is.

Last night I took the dog for a 3 mile walk and once I got going, had the heart rate in the 60-70% range (higher when walking fast or up a slight incline) most of the time for comparison's sake. It's a small dog (mini snauzer) so I don't walk too fast and I'm definitely not running. It takes us about 1:15 to cover that 3 miles. That walk burned 480 calories.

Tonight on the speed bag (10x7 8oz Title bag) the % MHR was anywhere from 60 (hitting slow, rooted in one spot) to 80 (hitting as fast as I could and/or with 180 degrees movement around the board). Average was probably 72% MHR. According to the pamphlet that came with the watch, that's right in prime "Fitness" zone burning equal amounts of fat and glycogen (they define Zone 1 (50-65%) as "Health", Zone 2 (65-80%) as "Fitness" and Zone 3 (80-95%) as "Performance". In 20 minutes, I burned 180 calories.

I'll take some more readings next workout and see how they line up. I wasn't hitting as fast as I can because the watch was interfering with F-ROLL and double strikes. I tried wearing it on the inside of the wrist but it was still getting in the way...

I should also mention I have a high base metabolic rate. I can eat and eat and eat and not gain weight like noone I've ever met (I'm 6'1"" 170 lbs)... not sure if that affects these readings. Those truely interested in what they are burning calorie wise should probably pick up one of these devices for themselves.

Comment

• atgatt
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post

the % MHR was anywhere from 60 (hitting slow, rooted in one spot) to 80 (hitting as fast as I could and/or with 180 degrees movement around the board).
          That's very interesting that you only got to 80% hitting as fast as you could. Seems when I hit the bag as fast as I can, yes, I get winded but not the intense winded I get when doing the repeated left-right, etc, as hard as I can repeatedly.

Recently I added a new one with my double sided bag in the frame hitting it sideways in the frame. It comes back at you as fast as you can rotate your fist but it comes back much harder than a speed bag. Today I did the side hits in several segments to exhaustion and I think my heart rate was too close to max, considering I'm 54.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a heart monitor to get some real data, like you did.

Really appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
            Really appreciate your inputs. Thanks.
            I should clarify that I wasn't hitting full speed for very long. The watch was bothering me too much, getting in the way, plus it was cold (unheated garage) and I had a baggy sweatshirt on which was slowing me down.

When hitting full speed I find the lactic acid build-up (burning in the muscle) to be the limiting factor.

Comment

• dsmith2296
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Dec 2007

Anybody have a link to a functional heart rate monitor?

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

I just bought this one at Walmart for $48 which is the best price I could find.

Just tried it on different bags and different hits. Makes the workout much more interesting. I'll have to gather more data over time to do it justice, but here's what I found:

At 54 years old I shouldn't go beyond 170 and I couldn't.

A decent pace on the 12 x 10 kept me in the 120s. Same on the 10 x 7. That puts me around 70%.

Hitting fast put me in the 150s on the 10 x 7 and 8 x 5. (90%)

The fastest was hitting 160s when doing my hard and fast left-right, left-right-left, etc, over and over. (95%)

Surprisingly, hitting the double end bag from the side in my frame only put me in the low 150s.

I would guess going all out longer will eventually make me reach 170.

Comment

• dsmith2296
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Dec 2007

Is there a way to find out how many calories a specific person burns at a specified heart rate. e.g., I am 5' 10", 180lbs- how many calories would i burn if I maintained 125 bpm for, say, 30 minutes.

Comment

• dsmith2296
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Dec 2007

How does that product work-- does it have a chest strap? If so, can you just lie the digital watch on a nearby table or do you need to wear it on your wrist?

I just bought this one at Walmart for $48 which is the best price I could find.

Just tried it on different bags and different hits. Makes the workout much more interesting. I'll have to gather more data over time to do it justice, but here's what I found:

At 54 years old I shouldn't go beyond 170 and I couldn't.

A decent pace on the 12 x 10 kept me in the 120s. Same on the 10 x 7. That puts me around 70%.

Hitting fast put me in the 150s on the 10 x 7 and 8 x 5. (90%)

The fastest was hitting 160s when doing my hard and fast left-right, left-right-left, etc, over and over. (95%)

Surprisingly, hitting the double end bag from the side in my frame only put me in the low 150s.

I would guess going all out longer will eventually make me reach 170.

Comment

• atgatt
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Sorry, but I responded yesterday but it didn't take. That seems to happen when I'm on the road.

Anyway in brief, it does have a chest strap but it is comfortable and easy to wear and put on. Even wore it once to bed to see how low my heart rate would go. It went down to the lower 60s.

The one I have needs to be worn on the wrist.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by dsmith2296 View Post
                        Is there a way to find out how many calories a specific person burns at a specified heart rate. e.g., I am 5' 10", 180lbs- how many calories would i burn if I maintained 125 bpm for, say, 30 minutes.
                        I poked around on the web, but couldn't find anything ... I'm pretty sure that's how these heart rate montiors do it, but the formula is a mystery.

Comment

• dsmith2296
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2007

The one I have needs to be worn on the wrist.
                          Doesn't that impede your punches?

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by dsmith2296 View Post
                            Doesn't that impede your punches?
                            Mine does... it's pretty bulky. I find it inhibiting on double and triple elbow strikes (it can drag on the bag after the fist hits and before the elbow). I also find my knuckles (of the opposite hand) dragging on it during fist rolls (F-ROLL)

Mine has a chest strap, which is annoying to put on, but I've found you can wear the watch (which on mine is merely for display of the numbers) on a belt loop and it works just as well.

Comment

• atgatt
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2007

The Polar is very light and small on the wrist, and the chest strap is very easy to put on. Once on, it is so comfortable and thin, you forget you are wearing it.

Regarding calories, once you know specifics that the heart monitor is telling you, then with that you can start to figure out a calorie burn rate.

I'm going to wear the monitor more often because it is very interesting to me to see what my heart is doing not only on the speedbags, but also doing everyday activities.

God was very clever in designing the heart.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...