• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powerpuncher
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2009

Options for hanging a heavybag-Low ceiling

Hey guys, great to be a part of the community as i have taken interest in learning boxing. I am familiar with boxing but not much of whats required to hang the equipment, so bear with me.

I am planning on purchasing the ringside 70 lb heavybag softfilled. My basement ceiling is approximately 6 feet 9-10 inches high. A heavybag stand is not an option and I do not want a free standing bag. The beams in the ceiling are above the tile, and the top half of the beam supports the wood flooring upstairs, so i can not hang it over the beam.

I have read about and heard about many options (some from members here). Due to the length problem I was considering attaching a 4x4 in-between two beams and hanging the chain over the piece of wood so i can hoist it up and hang it at an appropriate length. This can also present a problem if the heavybag rubs against the chain.

Some have mentioned its just as good to put an eyehook or hanger by everlast or title right into the beam and hang it off that, but with the length of the chain i would be hitting the top of the heavybag or it would be dragging of the floor. Is their anyway to put something directly in the ceiling and still get the height the heavybag requires? Im not positive about how strong the beams are but all indications are they are average or below average in strength.

Also, drilling or cutting through the tile could give me approximately 1 or 2 more inches farther up the ceiling.

Lastly, is an anchor a requirement for a heavybag? I would avoid having to buy one if possible.

Thanks, and great to be a member.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey PP, welocme to the forum.

Check out this thread. It's a great design by MelloYello, another SBF member. Hope it is helpful.

Comment

• powerpuncher
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Oct 2009

Thanks, I took a look at it and designing something like that is out of the question for me right now, even though it was advised not to take links out or shorten the chain i might hand it over a piece of wood or shorten the chain. Hope it works out

Comment

• powerpuncher
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2009

1 more question, Do I need to get an everlast heavy bag hanger like this: http://www.everlast.com/Wood-Beam-He...tinfo/EVHBH+1/

Or can i just use an eye hook? I heard that the bag needs to have the ability to spin and if it spins in an eye hook wouldn't it just take itself out over time? Eye hooks circular connection does not move or swivel.

Comment

• TooSlow
          • Oct 2009

Don't know if you can tell what I did here but instead of using 1 hook directly to 1 joist I have 4 hooks (2 on each joist) The wood I have it hung on is 2x8 I believe. I drilled a whole through the wood and added the hook in the middle. I did not use the screw hook but instead I used the hook where you can put screw through the other side. This way when you punch, it doesn't get loose eventually. Also used 2 washers (thick washers).

here's a pic of my setup. I will take close pics and post later.

Although, I am thinking of getting a smaller bag as my ceiling is only 7 ft tall and this is a pretty heavy bag so I might dump out some sand at first to see if that makes any difference. Or just go and spend some money to buy 50-60lb bag that is much shorter.

Comment

• powerpuncher
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Oct 2009

Nice setup, but if the wood is right on the top of the ceiling, then the ceiling will only be 6'8 or 9, if i screw an eye hook right into the beam (its a 70 LB bag) i will get 2-3 more inches, im not sure of the heigh for the heavybag chain, but m 5'9 and the bag needs to be 5 11-6 feet at its highest point.

I was thinking about putting apiece of wood across multiple joist, and than putting an eye hook through the middle joist.

The heavybag comes with the chain setup and swivel, im assuming the swivel allows it to spin and move, so if just use an eye hook do i have to worry about it screwing out?

Comment

• Rumblur
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2008

Low Ceiling Idea

I like the Balas ceiling mount if that helps. It mounts direct to the ceiling, and you throw away your external spring and external swivel. The model number is MA0106. Check it out at www.balazsboxing.com

Comment

• biguglybear
                • Mar 2010

Too bad those things are so expensive. I want one!

Comment

• dbkman
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Aug 2010

TooSlow,

Do you think that set-up you have is sufficent enough to withstand a years worth of constant use?

I wonder if those rafters are strong enough to withstand the constant impacts from the punching bag...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...