• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

New water bags from ringside

I noticed that Ringside has a new line of water heavy bags. The prices are good, but not sure if I like those colors. The bags look a bit odd compared to other heavy bags. Who knows, they could be great.

Ringside is the undisputed champion for boxing equipment and MMA gear. Shop gloves, punching bags, protective gear, and more at the best prices.
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

rigal, I like how they explain how soft the surface is; for me, that's a good selling point.

"It's softer and easier to hit than any other bag on the market. In so being, it reduces the energy transferred to the body and reduces injury."

If ever I get a hanging heavy bag, it would probably be one of those. I'm sold.

Comment

• riqal
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
      rigal, I like how they explain how soft the surface is; for me, that's a good selling point.

"It's softer and easier to hit than any other bag on the market. In so being, it reduces the energy transferred to the body and reduces injury."

If ever I get a hanging heavy bag, it would probably be one of those. I'm sold.
      I am sold too. I like how they have a variety of sizes to accomodate all consumers. I think a 65lb water bag would be perfect for home use.

Comment

• Title Fight
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2009

NICE!

I would love to get my hands on one of those, if any of you get one could you please post a review if possible?

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Stop the presses.... I've got to get one of these.

I love these wrecking ball style bags, and that fact that it is water is just icing on the cake, plus it's $99!!!!

Too bad I don't have a hundred bucks to blow on workout gear I guess i'll put it on the wishlist.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
            I noticed that Ringside has a new line of water heavy bags. The prices are good, but not sure if I like those colors.
            The red, blue, and black don't look bad.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
              I noticed that Ringside has a new line of water heavy bags. The prices are good, but not sure if I like those colors. The bags look a bit odd compared to other heavy bags. Who knows, they could be great.

http://www.ringside.com/Water-Bags/products/1389/
              I think those new bright DayGlo bags will be just the ticket for those who train under blacklights.

The college crowd will love these. At least we would have in the 60's - 70's,
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• punchingbag
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jul 2010

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the major points of working the punching bag to condition your hands?

So a water bag doesn't seem like its all there...of course shipping is better lol

Comment

• Joe
                  • May 2010

I purchased the Ringside 150# Tsunami Water Bag. I got a heavy bag as a way to start getting back into shape. After speaking with a boxing coach who runs a local boxing club he reccomended a water bag.

I ordered from Ringside and shipping was quick. Being the heaviest waterbag they make it came in a box smaller than I expected. Its essentially a big black rubber bladder that is welded together in sections. I went to go fill it using a hose and funnel. The fill hole was actually sealed shut. Several calls to Ringside before they finally called me back and left me a message (I missed the call) to tell me that it "was supposed to be that way". The way the message was conveyed over my answering machine made it sound like I was the idiot. I was told I could return it (but I would be responsible for shipping of course).

Being a man of rather average intelligence yet smart enough to know that a big heavy rubber WATER BAG with but only one hole at the top should probably be filled from that hole. Being that that hole was COMPLETELY and TOTALLY sealed with rubber I went in with my Leatherman and conducted a 5 second surgery on the bag. Then in went to funnel, turned on the water and it was filled up in no time. I pushed the cap in the top hole and hung the bag in my garage.

I was a little suprised at the size of the bag. Its smaller than I would have thought. Its probably about the size of a regular 70# bag but a bit thinner. I guess it being a 150 I was expecting BIG. the other thing I noticed was that the rubber welds make the bag look a bit lopsided - I think the guy who was running the machine that day may have been drinking a bit that day.

But really - who cares what it looks like. Its just a bag that you hit. Intitially I was not able to use it as I had a tendonitis issue flare up in the area of my lower bicep and upper forearm. I had never had that before and it hurt like hell so puching anything was out of the question. Now that has kind of healed I have been really giving this bag the go.

I have never seriously tried to utilized a heavy bag workout before now. As it stands I am very very pleased with this bag. Before I purchased I read that they are like hitting a waterbed. I very much disagree - It seems to have much more resistance than that. Even if you hit the bag bare handed your fist does not "sink" into the bag at all. No more so that the foam wrapped regular heavybags. What it does do is absorb the shock very effectively and being 150# it does not swing wildly. I use handwraps and a pair of Title Gel gloves during my bag workout. I do feel sore after but its not sore joints - its the good kind of sore that I provided some resistance and taxed my muscles. I am not a boxer and being nearly 39 now I have no dreams of glory. I don't know if a bag is supposed to tougher your joints or not. I do know that there are a buch of small bones in the hand and my joints mean a lot to me. I'll go with the waterbag any day of the week if it means my body takes a bit less of a pounding. This bag offers a hell of a workout.

And as far as leaking goes... zip - zero - zilch. The top cap keeps it very water tight even though you can hear the water sloshing around up at the top.

I am overall Impressed with the WaterBag and less than impressed with Ringside. I would have proabbly gone with the Title water bag but Ringside sent me a coupon plus free shipping that saved me a bit of money at the time. If you like their company I would not hesitate to go for one of these.

I would definatley buy this bag again - but Ringside has higher prices for everything else and I was not happy with the customer service response. I'll be a Title Boxing customer from here on out...
                  Last edited by Joe; 08-04-2010, 12:54 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by HomerFett View Post
                    I ordered from Ringside and shipping was quick. Being the heaviest waterbag they make it came in a box smaller than I expected. Its essentially a big black rubber bladder that is welded together in sections. I went to go fill it using a hose and funnel. The fill hole was actually sealed shut. Several calls to Ringside before they finally called me back and left me a message (I missed the call) to tell me that it "was supposed to be that way". The way the message was conveyed over my answering machine made it sound like I was the idiot.
                    Jeez, what great customer service. Glad to hear you figured it out though. Those kinds of problems bug the hell out of me. I can just imagine waiting for the thing to arrive, wanting to use it, then not being able to fill it up, weird.

Being a man of rather average intelligence yet smart enough to know that a big heavy rubber WATER BAG with but only one hole at the top should probably be filled from that hole. Being that that hole was COMPLETELY and TOTALLY sealed with rubber I went in with my Leatherman and conducted a 5 second surgery on the bag.

I was a little suprised at the size of the bag. Its smaller than I would have thought. Its probably about the size of a regular 70# bag but a bit thinner. I guess it being a 150 I was expecting BIG. the other thing I noticed was that the rubber welds make the bag look a bit lopsided - I think the guy who was running the machine that day may have been drinking a bit that day.
                    Can you post a pic?

I have never seriously tried to utilized a heavy bag workout before now. As it stands I am very very pleased with this bag. Before I purchased I read that they are like hitting a waterbed. I very much disagree - It seems to have much more resistance than that. Even if you hit the bag bare handed your fist does not "sink" into the bag at all. No more so that the foam wrapped regular heavybags. What it does do is absorb the shock very effectively and being 150# it does not swing wildly. I use handwraps and a pair of Title Gel gloves during my bag workout. I do feel sore after but its not sore joints - its the good kind of sore that I provided some resistance and taxed my muscles. I am not a boxer and being nearly 39 now I have no dreams of glory. I don't know if a bag is supposed to tougher your joints or not. I do know that there are a buch of small bones in the hand and my joints mean a lot to me. I'll go with the waterbag any day of the week if it means my body takes a bit less of a pounding. This bag offers a hell of a workout.
                    That jives with my experience with water bags... there is a good deal of resistance, but alot of the shock to the joints goes away.

Comment

• Joe
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Jeez, what great customer service. Glad to hear you figured it out though. Those kinds of problems bug the hell out of me. I can just imagine waiting for the thing to arrive, wanting to use it, then not being able to fill it up, weird.

Can you post a pic?

That jives with my experience with water bags... there is a good deal of resistance, but alot of the shock to the joints goes away.

OK here are some pics. I hung by DEB up next to just so you can get a feel for the size of the bag. Please don't mind the mess in my garage. I am slowly trying to convert it into a respectable place to workout. I'll have to figure something else in the winter as it gets colder than a witches nipple in there after the snow flies.

sigpic

Comment

• SpeedKilz
                        • Dec 2009

Looks good. Surprising how big those "S" hooks are on that heavy bag. You could go fishing for Jaws with those things. How you like the Fighting DE bag? Maybe a space heater for the garage in the winter?

How did you end up hanging the bag up in the rafters?

Comment

• Joe
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by SpeedKilz View Post
                          Looks good. Surprising how big those "S" hooks are on that heavy bag. You could go fishing for Jaws with those things. How you like the Fighting DE bag? Maybe a space heater for the garage in the winter?

How did you end up hanging the bag up in the rafters?
                          The Fighting DE bag is sweet. It is without a doubt quality product. Very pleased....

As far as hanging the bag I went to my local Tractor Supply store and purchased a bracket that has a 2" steel ring. It was rated for 1200 lbs if I recall. The bracket has 4 predrilled holes big enough for 3.5inch lag bolts. I sunk it right into the angled ceiling rafter.
                          sigpic

Comment

• SpeedKilz
                            • Dec 2009

Wow...that is solid. I can see that you took no chances on that thing coming down.

Comment

• crapshoot
                              • Apr 2010

Is that a kettlebell your DE bag is hooked to on the bottom?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...