• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Punching with full arm extension

Hitting the various size bags this morning, I noticed another thing I like about the big 12 x 10 Title bag.

It forces you to hit it at the end of the punch stroke. If you try getting in close, like you can on the medium and small bags, it teaches you a lesson by smacking you in the face.

It also works best on a large platform so the belly hits a flat surface rather than the edge of a 24" platform. That's why I built a 36" for it.

Like Alan says, each bag has its good and bad points, but the 12 x 10 full extension punch with a bang at the end of the punch due to its mass, is sure a big plus to me because you have to punch hard.

Of course I'm talking about keeping a boxer's stance and not a lean-back one.
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Don't let the lack of replies bother you, Big Bubba Bubble.

You'll always be part of my speed bag workouts.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
      Hitting the various size bags this morning, I noticed another thing I like about the big 12 x 10 Title bag.

It forces you to hit it at the end of the punch stroke. If you try getting in close, like you can on the medium and small bags, it teaches you a lesson by smacking you in the face.

It also works best on a large platform so the belly hits a flat surface rather than the edge of a 24" platform. That's why I built a 36" for it.

Like Alan says, each bag has its good and bad points, but the 12 x 10 full extension punch with a bang at the end of the punch due to its mass, is sure a big plus to me because you have to punch hard.

Of course I'm talking about keeping a boxer's stance and not a lean-back one.
      The point about contacting on the end of a punch, or near full arm extension, is well taken. I have lately used this bit of insight myself, moving back away from the bag (any size bag..) to make contact near full extension. That is great for power punching, when you are not going to do reverse or side linking (which requires a closer stance). I moved back during my "rehab" activities for the shoulder, forcing the arm to extend more but letting me keep the elbow down (supporting it UP and OUT was to painful at the time, and not advised).

Your position to the bag can always be adjusted in distance and stance used.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

"Your position to the bag can always be adjusted in distance and stance used." from Speedbag

Highly agree, but even though I don't do the fancy side or reverse moves you do, I notice I try to keep as close to the bag as possible for better speed and ease on the arms.

I did this with the 12 x 10 at first not even knowing it and the bag would smack me, teaching me to STAY BACK, JACK.

The 12 x 10 also gives a good shock. They say that just jumping about 5 times a day really helps bone growth because it sends a signal for the bones to strengthen, like weights do too.

So I guess the more shock is helping my shoulder and arm bones. Also my nose bone since it hit me there a few times too.

Comment

• NABALCHI
          • Nov 2007

Yep!!

Yeah I Just Got A 10x7 Bag And Its Alot Bigger Than My 5x8 That Im Used To. And Im Normally Close To The Bag But I Quickly Learned To Step Back With The Big Bag Because It Caught Me Alot Of Times In My Nose Lol It Felt Like I Was Getting Jabbed The Way I Was Pulling My Head Back Lol. I Also Had To Upgrade My Platform From A 24 To A 30 Inch Because The Bag Was Hitting The Wall Instead Of The Board. But Im Happy I Did Because It Gives Me More Options In Bags Sizes

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Nabalchi, glad you agree. Large bags have their place.

I'm confused about your platform upgrade to 30". A swivel hangs down about 3". A 7 x 10 bag must have the belly around 7 to 8". So that gives at most a belly hit around 11" out from the swivel centerline, still within a 24" platform.

Are you sure it is a 7 x 10 bag?

My Turbo bag is a 7 x 10 and it works on my 24" platform just fine.

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

Some bags have a long loop on them, which can add a couple of inches to the length of the bag. The bag itself may be 7x10but the loop makes it a 7x12.

Comment

• NABALCHI
                • Nov 2007

yep

yeah i have the title turbo 10x7 the problem is that i had a 24 by 24 platform and for some reason it was slightly big for the board, and my swivel is dead in the middle of the board
                Attached Files

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

I see, I see, said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Get the picture now. The Turbo goes past a 24" platform by about 1", but your typical platform extends out from the wall about 3".

Yours is right up against the wall.

Case closed.

Thanks for the pic. Attached is a pic of the platform I made for the 12 x 10 bag. Had to put some weight on top to stop vibration.

Enjoy the new bag.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

I started with the bigger 11 x 7 Everlast bag but it kept bursting and I didn't know why and then I found out why, the Century stand that I use has a metal loop that the bags were rubbing against soa as a result I use a medium bag now. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010066.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	87193
                    sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...