• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • REB
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2017

Nicols speed bag? (Possibly)

We know Nicols made a swivel. However, I do not know or have read on here about a Nicols speed bag. This would be in the Dutchman's area of expertise.

There is a speed bag on ebay and the seller titled it as a Nicols speed bag with the original Nicols swivel. The bag is pictured but no Nicols maker mark can be seen on it. I will follow up with the seller depending on Dutchman's call

What you say Dutchman?
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Frankly, I've never encountered a Nichols striking bag. Nor have I encountered any kind of documentation that they ever offered striking bags. I've found that eBay listings tend to be written by well intention people that know a minimal amount of information about the item that they are selling. I've seen this listed before, while desirable Nichols swivels are not overly rare (they were very popular back in the day). I have seen this listed previously and to me it's not worth the $125.00 asking price. Personally I might consider half that, as there is apparently no provenance on the bag, and we know approximately how much the swivel is worth. If the bag could be attributed to one of the old line makers, such as A.J. Reach, Goldsmith, Spalding etc. I might consider it. That's my opinion, for what it's worth. There is a market for "man cave" decorator items such as this, and they have found some buyers at these prices.

Comment

• REB
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Frankly, I've never encountered a Nichols striking bag. Nor have I encountered any kind of documentation that they ever offered striking bags. I've found that eBay listings tend to be written by well intention people that know a minimal amount of information about the item that they are selling. I've seen this listed before, while desirable Nichols swivels are not overly rare (they were very popular back in the day). I have seen this listed previously and to me it's not worth the $125.00 asking price. Personally I might consider half that, as there is apparently no provenance on the bag, and we know approximately how much the swivel is worth. If the bag could be attributed to one of the old line makers, such as A.J. Reach, Goldsmith, Spalding etc. I might consider it. That's my opinion, for what it's worth. There is a market for "man cave" decorator items such as this, and they have found some buyers at these prices.

Thank you for all of this Dutchman. I agree with you on the price ( way too high). I sent him an inquiry about any Maker's Mark that could be visible on the other panels and to add additional pics of the panels.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...