• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Frame for double bag

Here's a frame I have for the double bag.

I kept the cords very elastic so the bag really comes bag at me. The frame keeps it in range that does not get too wild for all the free play it has.

It has taught me to bob & weave, duck, backup and mainly to always keep my hands in front of my face right after punching or else get smacked by the bag.

To me, keeping the cords tighter may give better control but the bag didn't come back at me as much as I wanted, thus the frame and loose elastic cords.
    Attached Files
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Interesting. If you you get the chance can you post a video of you hitting it? I was checking out grimx at world boxing forums and he talks about keeping the double end bag loose which is what i do. I'd like to see how the frame helps.
    sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

metaldad,

I wrote a detailed reply only to find that this forum lost it.

Sorry, but I'm not writing it up again. Don't even know if this post will go thru.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
        Did you get any sort of error message? how long was it? Occasionally I hear people say they've lost a post but I've never been able to pin down any particular cause. Do you recall approx what time you were posting? (and in what time zone)

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Did you get any sort of error message? how long was it? Occasionally I hear people say they've lost a post but I've never been able to pin down any particular cause. Do you recall approx what time you were posting? (and in what time zone).

This web site uses a shared database server so it's not impossible that the database server was too busy... but that should have triggered an error e-mail to me or maybe given an error message back to you.

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Tim,

Don’t know if it is your server or not. I have to travel part of each week and at the moment I’m in a hotel. Their internet connection is good, but not as good as my home one, so it may have been that.

Metaldad,

In brief regarding the frame (once more), the whole point of a double sided bag is for it to really come back at you. You can keep the cords tight which makes it easier to hit and makes the person look much better hitting it, but from the instructors I’ve seen regarding it, that defeats the whole point. So keeping a bag tight is too predictable.

If you make the cords loose, the bag takes some big motions from side and front that are not realistic to someone punching back. No one has five foot long arms punching back at you, so if the bag makes moves that make it travel that far, the reaction times on it are not in line with a punch coming at you.

The frame keeps the bag coming back at you in proportion to someone punching back. How that upper cord hits the frame causing very quick rebounds back at you to make you either punch again, block, duck or lean back.

If you hit off center of the bag, it comes back at you quickly as if it was a hook punch.

I don’t have a video camera. All I can say is I’ve tried it with and without the frame and the frame is not only much more realistic, it is a better workout and it teaches me to KEEP MY HANDS UP because that frame and that weight bag will cause the bag to come back at you hard and fast. It hurts if you let it get to you.

The cords allow me to play with the tension of them so I can get the correct height and looseness I want by fine tuning it by the adjustable tension.

Anyway, I’m just sharing what works for me.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Anyway, I’m just sharing what works for me.
              Thanks. Now I get the gist of it!
              sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Today I not only hit the double sided bag long-ways in the frame, I stepped to the side and hit it straight on sideways, giving the elastic cords a QUICK rebound.

Rotating my fist about as fast and hard as I can at it really is a workout. Glad I discovered that new way of hitting it.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...