• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrgalioto
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2018

Speeding up a ball hinge swivel

Is there any way to do it? I use WD-40 every so often on the one at my gym, but my bag just seems slow on it. I have a xxs title platinum atomic and a xs title super speed bag. The super speedbag is practically unusable, it's so heavy and slow. The platinum atomic is ok... If I over inflate it to about 6-7psi. But I haven't to replace the bladder to a quicktek bladder for it to last more than a day. The drum is heavy and sturdy. All I can think of is the swivel... As you can see in the photo, the drum is quite thick and very sturdy, so vibration is not a factor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  • jaja6009
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2016

My opinion is that the ball hook is the problem. There are bags that would make that setup faster, but in my limited experience I have found that the ball hook is slower than a Ubolt or chainlink swivel on my own setup. When I first went to a ball hook after using a Ubolt, I found it much slower and less responsive. I even posted on here about it thinking that I must of done something wrong. I am so used to my ball hook that when I use the platform at work with a chain link swivel I find it a bit too quick at first until I get used to it.

Awesome platform you have there! It looks like a rock solid gem.
    Last edited by jaja6009; 03-25-2018, 09:36 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

• jrgalioto
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2018

That's kind of what I was afraid of. Oh yeah, the platform is perfect. It's probably, the better part of, a century old. They certainly don't make them like this anymore. There is a wheel that you crank to adjust the height like you are opening a valve. I haven't seen another one like this anywhere.

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

What you have there is a Spalding professional platform. These were similar to the Narrengansett Machine Co. platforms, which were later made by Everlast. Yes, they are comparatively rare, I've only seen pics of a couple of these. Most of the Spalding platforms I've seen personally is like the one that Zaza has

Comment

• jrgalioto
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          What you have there is a Spalding professional platform. These were similar to the Narrengansett Machine Co. platforms, which were later made by Everlast. Yes, they are comparatively rare, I've only seen pics of a couple of these. Most of the Spalding platforms I've seen personally is like the one that Zaza has
          Thank you for that. I've only been bagging for a little over a year, so I'm still learning. I have to Google some of the models of bags/swivels etc. That the guys talk about in different threads. But I have no complaints with that platform other than the swivel. I've brought it up to the director to see about switching the style to a pin-hinge swivel, but apparently people used to steal the securing pin when they used to have one (which blows my mind). It's also an echo chamber in that room. But who am I to be picky?

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

I don't know...I find the ball hook swivels to be the fastest. Have you thought about the bladders? Switching out to one of the Title orange bladders has added some real pep to a few bags of mine, might be worth a try? The Atomic bags are just too light for my taste...it's like hitting air!

Cheers,
            Zaza
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
              I don't know...I find the ball hook swivels to be the fastest. Have you thought about the bladders? Switching out to one of the Title orange bladders has added some real pep to a few bags of mine, might be worth a try? The Atomic bags are just too light for my taste...it's like hitting air!

Cheers,
              Zaza
              Ball hook and eyebolt are all I hit. Can't complain about speed. SpeedBagSkunk makes ball hooks sizzle. Must be operator error if the speed is not fast.

Comment

• Bag Man
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                Gonna respectfully disagree with you on that one. In my opinion that is a NMW platform circa early Twentieth Century.

Bag Man
                "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• jrgalioto
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Zaza View Post

Cheers,
                  Zaza
                  I replaced the bladder the first time with the orange title bladder. It was definitely faster than the quicktek, but it didn't hold air very well. Is there a better lube that I could use? I've only ever tried WD-40. Maybe I'll upload a picture. My gym might just use bad swivels.

Edit: I just looked at my Amazon orders. Looks like I actually bought the orange ringside bladder, not the title. I'll give that a shot.
                  Last edited by jrgalioto; 03-27-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• jrgalioto
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2018

Maybe this will give some indication of the speed I get from the atomic.

Last edited by jrgalioto; 03-27-2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
                      Gonna respectfully disagree with you on that one. In my opinion that is a NMW platform circa early Twentieth Century.

Bag Man
                      Took a closer look, (enlarged it a might) and you're absolutely right.

Comment

• jrgalioto
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Mar 2018

Here are some better pictures.

Comment

• Kenal0
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Feb 2018

I bought two of those swivels. I disassembled and polished up on a lathe so all parts are nice and smooth. I use a small drop of teflon lube that I use on my bicycle chain. They work great.

Comment

• Kenal0
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Feb 2018

Here is a pic after cleaned up
                            Attached Files

Comment

• BagBoy
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jan 2018

Wow, those cleaned up really nice.
                              Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...