• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brokendrive
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2010

Bought a bag dont know how to hang it

Hey guys,
    I bought a 70 lbs bag and a standard mount. I want to put it in my basement and I have heard a spot with 2 beam crossing should be strong enough but I dont know if the beams are strong and big enough and how to find that cross section. My dad is totally convinced it can't be done so I really need some help...

thanks in advance guys
  • SpeedKilz
    • Dec 2009

Hanging a bag from those beams could put some stress on the framing. Maybe check out heavy bag wall mount units or a heavy bag stand if you have the floor space.

Comment

• Rumblur
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2008

Mounting a Heavy Bag

A 70 lb bag should not be that big of a deal, nor put that much pressure and load on your ceiling beams. I can't imagine that any house, or garage couldn't take 70 lbs, even with a strong hitter. I certainly don't mean to argue with your father, but I think you'll be fine.

Comment

• GraceNellas
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Apr 2011

I agree with Rumblur. You will be fine

Comment

• fingers
          Speed Bag Guru
          • May 2008

I have a 100lb bag hanging from a beam in my garage! i often give it a pounding! the roof shakes a bit but it is still standing, not sure i would want it in my basement though!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ni_w-KJxe8

Comment

• 79rhino
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2010

Shock through the ceiling beams

I'm going to try the Balazs heavy bag mount. It seems expensive & probably does nothing more than a standard eyebolt and spring but I figure they manufacture for boxing & I don't want to slowly shake my new gym apart. Just waiting to get it shipped. I'll let u guys know how it goes.

Comment

• ExEODCDR
              • Apr 2011

Low tech -- find a 2-3 foot section of a 2x8 board. Your beams should likely be 16" on center. Get 4 5-inch lag screws with big washers. You'll want the screws about 1 inch in from the sides of the board and exactly 16" apart. Drill pilot holes in the board and into the beams then hang the board with the lag screws. Mount a hook in the center of the board to hang the bag from. This distributes the weight of the bag across two floor beams and gives it a bit more rigidity.

The floor beams are designed to hold distributed weight from the above room, so 70 lbs on one beam isn't to huge of a load, but if you can distribute the weight it'll take the strain off the single beam. Hope that's helpful. I can send pics of how I hung this in my garage if it'll help.

eX
              -
              Owner/Operator
              www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Diane P
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Aug 2011

I just purchased a Ringside 70 Pound Leather bag and bought a 325 pound load screw eye and screwed it into the floor joist in my basement. No problems at all. You should be fine.

Comment

• wdipaulo
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Aug 2011

Rafter Hang

Here is how i have hung my heavy bag between two basement rafters. U bracket is from Title ($29), came with the 4 lag bolts, took 20 minutes to hang and distributes the weight over 2 rafters instead of 1. Added the title bag spring ($10) to absorb much of the shock so it wouldn't vibrate throughout the house. Seems to be working well, solid as a rock, very happy with results. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. Good Luck
                  Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...