Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Speed bag discussion

Speed bag discussion Speed bag technique, training, and equipment

Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

rom is on a distinguished road
Speed Bag what speed bag do i need?(first speed bag)

hello guys
i am 14 years old and i wont to buy my first speed bag im practicing mma and muay thai i am willing to start with the speed bag to improve my boxing skills
i didnt manage to understand from my research in the forum what speed bag do i need thet will fit my needs and will help me improve my boxing skills by improving my

1.Hand-Eye Coordination

2.hand speed,Rhythm and Timing

3.devoloping hands and shoulders muscels Endurance

4.make my punches stronger (didnt understand if its possible)

i didnt understand from my research what size and kind of speed bag i need and what makers are recomanded if you can i will be happy for advices and recomandations and explanations about the differences between the bags sizes,makers and so on with hope thet after theese explanations i will be able to choose my first speed bag (and what bag you think will be the right one for me)
waiting to your aswers
thanks rom

Last edited by rom; 11-06-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
I'm partial to the Title bags - I would recommend 10x7 or 9x6 for a beginner size.

My current favorite is the "Gyro" line:
http://store.titleboxing.com/title-g...speed-bag.html

I would recommend you buy off the Internet if at all possible... you will find speed bags in Sports Authority and other sporting goods stores, but they are nowhere near the quality of what you can get from the web.

Tim
Old 11-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

rom is on a distinguished road
another question

thenks tim i am checking this bag but i still have a question
1. why do you recomand on this bag

2. why this sizes (if you can explain me the the difrences between sizes for me to understand what bag i need?

3. i will be happy for swivels and platforms recomandations and explanations too

4. how does the gyro part effects my training advantages vs disadvantages?

waiting for more replys,explanations and opinions

still a bit

rom

Last edited by rom; 11-06-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Speed Bag Guru

ventanakaz is on a distinguished road
on bag sizes it's very simple, since you are a beginner you'll want to go with the bigger bags at first like tim said, just because the bigger bags will be alittle slower than say the smaller ones and the bigger ones have a bigger target area (sweet spot) for you to strike, i like title too but i feel the fighting sports bags are of alittle higher quality, but what i don't like about the title and fighting sports is the black bladder that comes in them, making them rebound slower that what they can. so what i did was to change out the black bladder to titles orange replacement bladders making the rebound much better. if you hit on a chainlink swivel or U-bolt swivel you won't have to change out the bladder because those swivels are faster than say the ball&hook swivel that being said i don't like the chainlink or U-bolt swivels just because they will bind up when hitting them from all different angles and changing direction of you strikes on the bag and also moving around the platform when striking. when i hit the bag i think of it as being someones head so i move around and hit from all different angles. i think i might be the only member on here that doesn't do the linking hits or the fist rolling, just because i look at the bag as a fight tool and in a fight i'm not gonna link hit someone in my fight or fist roll them in the head, but i do use elbows on the bag. this is just my style of hitting the bag and what works for me. as for platforms if i were you i would get an adjustble platform since you are 14 and growing taller, the other good thing about those platforms is when you start having different size bags you can adjust the platform up or down to the size of the bag you put on. contiue to next reply

Last edited by ventanakaz; 11-07-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Speed Bag Guru

ventanakaz is on a distinguished road
conti --- There are other baggers that will mount the platform up higher for the smaller bags and make a wooden platform to stand on to reach them then when they change the bag out to the bigger bag they remove the platform they were standing on for the small bag so to use the bigger bags (those hang lower) the reason i feel this won't work for you is because you are in MMA and you would have to make a pretty big platform because of the footwork you'll want to use and moving and dancing all around the platform, in a fight you need to put youself in the right position in order for your strikes to hit there mark, thats where the footwork and moving all around comes into play. as for the swivel i'm for the ball&hook swivel and use it because of that...ralph

Last edited by ventanakaz; 11-07-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

Tim has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
thenks tim i am checking this bag but i still have a question
1. why do you recomand on this bag
It's durable, it looks nice, it rebounds nicely and the price is very affordable.

Quote:
2. why this sizes (if you can explain me the the difrences between sizes for me to understand what bag i need?
10x7 ad 9x6 are slow enough for a beginner that you won't get frustrated, at the same time you mentioned developing punching power - a 10x7 or 9x6 is a great muscular workout when hitting it hard and fast. It's got enough weight to it that you are going to get one heck of a shoulder burn quickly...

Quote:
3. i will be happy for swivels and platforms recomandations and explanations too
I recommend a "ball hook" style swivel. Unfortunately these are hard to come by - but both MsDeville and JumpCannon (forum members) sell a ball hook swivel that they make. For a beginner , an everlast Pro swivel is probably OK for a start. We recommend ball hook because it is very accurate for side punches.

Quote:
4. how does the gyro part effects my training advantages vs disadvantages?
It's marketing hype, it means nothing. But it's a nice looking bag and it "feels" very nice.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

swebag is on a distinguished road
Hi,

What would be the difference between the Title Gyro bags:
and the regular ones
http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html ?

Could you say, one is better than the other or is it just a matter of taste?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebag View Post
Hi,

What would be the difference between the Title Gyro bags:
and the regular ones
http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html ?

Could you say, one is better than the other or is it just a matter of taste?

Thanks
That Gyro bag is a close knock off to the older everlast gyro series. Many of us in here remember the 9x6 everlast model 4200. That was my favorite bag for over 20 years. The Title Gyro looks and acts exactly like it. I've had a couple of these and they give a reliable rebound, but feel just a bit slow compared to other bags of the same size. That's just my opinion. I imagine if the bladder was changed it would help a bit.

But the Title brand bags are great bags at a fairly inexpensive price. the red 9x6 regular is a very nice bag and I still use mine at times for slower songs. I would suggest if you already have the title brand bags there is really no functional reason to buy the gyro, other than curiosity to see how it hits. If you get it, you'll like it but it's not any better than the others. again, IMO.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. V ! The Quest Continues... 2014 at the NEW Real Gymm in Keyport, NJ

The Art of the Bag
Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

Speedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud ofSpeedbag has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
hello guys
i am 14 years old and i wont to buy my first speed bag im practicing mma and muay thai i am willing to start with the speed bag to improve my boxing skills
i didnt manage to understand from my research in the forum what speed bag do i need thet will fit my needs and will help me improve my boxing skills by improving my

1.Hand-Eye Coordination

2.hand speed,Rhythm and Timing

3.devoloping hands and shoulders muscels Endurance

4.make my punches stronger (didnt understand if its possible)

i didnt understand from my research what size and kind of speed bag i need and what makers are recomanded if you can i will be happy for advices and recomandations and explanations about the differences between the bags sizes,makers and so on with hope thet after theese explanations i will be able to choose my first speed bag (and what bag you think will be the right one for me)
waiting to your aswers
thanks rom
Hello Rom.

Welcome to the forum.

Your questions really address achieving certain results from speed bag training, such as speed, strength, endurance etc. With insight into the equipment, how it works and how to use it to target certain types of results (speed, strength, endurance..) You can find a few answers to your training questions here.

Focused workouts for speed bag

As for equipment, I agree with ventanakaz. Get a good adjustable wall unit. Many of us like the i-box by Balazs.

Of course, there are other choices and it all comes down on your available wall space and how much you want to spend. But the key is to get a solid wall unit that is adjustable.

As for Swivel, my personal recommendation is Ballhook style, and the Deville ballhook is the most readily available, hand crafted and made by one of the coolest baggin' ladies on planet earth.

Any other swivel (chainlink or U-bolt) will work OK, but become a bit cranky on side techiques, as Tim indicated. Find swivel issues here.

As for bags, I agree with Tim. Get a 10x7 and a 9x6. Or for a bit more variety you could skip the 9x6 and get the smaller 8x5. then, let a bit of air out of the 8x5, so it hits a bit flat, and slower. this will come close to the 9x6 but allow you to inflate it full to a bag faster than the 9x6. If you learn pretty quick you will want the faster bag speed of the 8x5 eventually.

The reason I think you will definitely want the 10x7, or possible even a large 11x8 is for kicking. Since you are a martial artist, you may want to do some punch - kick variations and the larger bags are very helpful because the contact area of the bag is lower down under the board, allowing for some of the more upright foot positions of the crescent kicks, which are a bit scary on the smaller bags.

Also, they give a longer rebound arc so you can stand back a bit further to let you work Kick-Punch combinations as you move laterally or are working on footwork.

THE most important thing for you to focus on right now as a beginner is CONTROL. Forget "speed" bag. This is really all rhythmic movement and timing. At this point, every bag is much faster than you are and will quickly spin out of control until you learn to swing with the exact same force and motion REPETITIVELY with each hand. That is easier said than done, for the bag will accelerate or slow down with even the slightest bit of variation of punch and fist movement length or force. The greatest, fastest baggers are not really as FAST as they have learned to swing Repetitively with Consistent force from various directions. When you can do that, the bag will suddently slow down and do what you want it to.

As you progress, post some videos and we'll see how your doing.

Good luck and safe training.

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
Onward to SpeedB.A.G. V ! The Quest Continues... 2014 at the NEW Real Gymm in Keyport, NJ

The Art of the Bag

Last edited by Speedbag; 11-29-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

zodiac665 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the help guys. Just discovered the forum. Ordered my Title Gyro bag and waiting to hear from Deville to order a swivel.

What's your opinion on the Everlast adjustable platform. Will it work alright with my combo.