Workout schedule and heavy bag usage what is best for the body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yosarian
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2006

Workout schedule and heavy bag usage what is best for the body?

I was planning on changing my workout routine and I wanted to figure out when the best days/time to incorporate some heavy bag work into the mix.

I workout in the mornings before I go to work and my work out routine will be:
    M, W, F-Cardio (mostly running)
    T, R, Sat-Lifting

I was thinking I would do 1/2 to an hour of heavy bag work every evening. However, I was unsure if I was to do it on a night before a lifting day if it will put a strain on my muscles or the night after a morning lifting it will screw up my muscles ability to rest and heal.

I would work it into my morning routine (one day run, one day heavy bag, heavy day run, etc.) The problem is that I want to do the heavy bag more often.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by yosarian View Post
    I was thinking I would do 1/2 to an hour of heavy bag work every evening. However, I was unsure if I was to do it on a night before a lifting day if it will put a strain on my muscles or the night after a morning lifting it will screw up my muscles ability to rest and heal.
    In regards to before or after weight lifting, I've always found that I get a pretty good upper body pump from 3-4 rounds on the heavy bag, i.e. there's significant use of the upper body muscles (Probably because I push the bag too much and should snap the punches more). I wouldn't do heavy bag on the same day as weights, personally. Night before always worked fine for me.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Perhaps you could do it after your cardio work. You should already be warmed up, and the running would also compliment the footwork right after on the bag.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...