• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shaunm81
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    I would agree with Dee completely. Skunk makes it look effortless at mock speed and I think that is because he has learned to relax what is not needed in the repetitive punching motions. He just eases into it and floats off at mock 2. The really fast ones do that. He doesn't look all strained, flexed or tight, trying to hit harder and harder... his movements are relaxed and flowing.

He has gotten better at this through the years. when I first met him in 2007 he could hit fast but he was still a bit strained and tense, trying to go faster by tensing and hitting harder. My advice to him at the time was "..stop trying to hit hard or fast. learn to hit relaxed, focus on control. as you learn more relaxed control, your speed will increase automatically"

He is now noticeably faster now than he was then. (not necessary due to what I told him at that time, but He looks a bit smoother in movement, more relaxed as he punches and I might add much stronger due to his other physical training regimes. That added body strength can also be released under relaxed conditions with proper technique.

on the other hand, Zach is a speed bag phenomenon, of almost savante level skills without the autism.

I remember telling Tim later that night (in Orlando) "..that kid doesn't know how fast he can be. when he learns to relax and stops trying to hit hard, he's gonna break the sound barrier". I knew at that point he would take bagging to "the next level" on speed and ingenuity. My own present weekly workouts include very slow practice on incredible combinations that Skunk does at speeds so fast you have to watch it in slow motion to really count the rebounds. I might add ebozyn to that category also. Although slower by choice, his combinations and bag control are simply incredible and fuel many of my latest workouts. I have many written and posted by the board.

I feel like I'm going "Back to Speed Bag School" trying to learn the awesome Triple Lindy
    wow cool stuff there alan thanks so much for the help! you sure know your stuff I watched every video you have and wow man that is awesome. I will have to pick a copy of your dvd here really soon thats for sure. just out of curiousity how many years have you been bagging? or was that to many to remember? was you ever into actual boxing or just got into speed bagging for exercise and rythm? cool stuff though I always liked speed bagging as a kid I wish I would of stayed with it though but at the time I never knowed really anything about them.

Comment

• shaunm81
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2012

well everyone Nina from Title boxing called me back and she said they are going to send me another new bag out tomorrow

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by shaunm81 View Post
        wow cool stuff there alan thanks so much for the help! you sure know your stuff I watched every video you have and wow man that is awesome. I will have to pick a copy of your dvd here really soon thats for sure. just out of curiousity how many years have you been bagging? or was that to many to remember?
        Thanks Shaunm81.

2012 makes 40 years under the board. (may 1972 - 2012) since I first saw my mentor, Dr. Schroeder and began learning from him that summer. Thats not to many to remember now, but I'll probably start forgetting shortly.

was you ever into actual boxing or just got into speed bagging for exercise and rythm? cool stuff though I always liked speed bagging as a kid I wish I would of stayed with it though but at the time I never knowed really anything about them.
        Nope, I was never a boxer, just a frustrated drummer trying to get a workout. I Did some boxing and martial arts training over the years, but never competed formally. In sparring I always had the tendency to block kicks and punches with my face, a questionable defense strategy at best. With the current onslaught of research indicating a high incidence of diagnosable brain trauma in contact sports and concussions I'm glad I did not compete.

well everyone Nina from Title boxing called me back and she said they are going to send me another new bag out tomorrow
        I would have been very surprised (and disappointed) had they NOT done that. Title boxing has always had terrific customer service, IMO
        Last edited by Speedbag; 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

...In sparring I always had the tendency to block kicks and punches with my face, a questionable defense strategy at best...
          A lot have tried that, but few have found success that way.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            A lot have tried that, but few have found success that way.
            NOW you tell me......
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• shaunm81
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • May 2012

Thanks Shaunm81.

2012 makes 40 years under the board. (may 1972 - 2012) since I first saw my mentor, Dr. Schroeder and began learning from him that summer. Thats not to many to remember now, but I'll probably start forgetting shortly.

Nope, I was never a boxer, just a frustrated drummer trying to get a workout. I Did some boxing and martial arts training over the years, but never competed formally. In sparring I always had the tendency to block kicks and punches with my face, a questionable defense strategy at best. With the current onslaught of research indicating a high incidence of diagnosable brain trauma in contact sports and concussions I'm glad I did not compete.

I would have been very surprised (and disappointed) had they NOT done that. Title boxing has always had terrific customer service, IMO

WOW that is a long time! that means you were hitting a bag way before I was ever thought of lol.

I did end up getting the new bag and I just started hitting on it yesterday but this time trying to be a lot more relaxed and trying just to take things slow.

I ended up purchasing the everlast setup and got it in the mail a couple of days ago. I bolted it to the wall so far it appears to be pretty solid and is so much better then that heavy/speed combo setup. I dont really care for that cotter pin type swivel it came with though but I am planning on going to lowes later tonight to get some longer bolts so I can install the deville swivel on the board.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

WOW that is a long time! that means you were hitting a bag way before I was ever thought of lol.
                So, I have been hitting the speed bag longer than you have walked the earth. There is something philosophical in that thought, like "when you can take this speed bag from my hand, you may go out among the people...."

(forget that: Skunk did it in a day... )

..I am planning on going to lowes later tonight to get some longer bolts so I can install the deville swivel on the board.
                You will not be disappointed. You will enjoy the deville swivel and have little or no problems from it.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                  ...keep this in mind if u don't already know. the chainlink and the u-bolt is faster than the old style ballhook
                  ...ralph
                  I've had a lot of experience on chainlinks, much less time on U-bolts, which I've admittedly disliked since their inception. Chainlinks are fast, particularly in straight triplet rhythm front punching.

I have always thought it would be interesting to actually test the speed theory with a legitimate "Punch per Minute" test. Like using a known metronome beat-per-minute speed

I found that with a yellow 8x5 title bag, my deville ballhook (and me) maxed out at 300 BPM, which I could hold for about 10 seconds, and it had no problems with a more comfortable upper end of 270 BPM for 30-60 seconds.

to be consistent I'd have to use that same bag, same inflation etc. on a u-bolt and chainlink. Any "measurable" test would have to use the same bag. Still, I'm not sure it would be an accurate reading of just the swivel, the bag or the puncher. I was about 10% faster in days past, and my top end has slipped in the last few years. I'm sure others can go much faster, and I'm gonna guess Skunk could clock at least 320 or so, regardless of the swivel used.

I will also add there has never really a been an accurate method to measure your "punching speed" AS your punching, or method to count how many punches you have actually thrown when punching in "standard" triplet rhythm style.

...until now: Courtesy of the inventor, I have recently been using a new product, called the Speed Demon and I have found it to be amazingly accurate in measuring both. It also has a "challenge mode", requiring an ever increasing punching pace for 20 levels. Fun to use, and the BPM numbers were comparably to the known metronome speed I was punching to.

If you come to the Gathering in New Jersey, you'll get to try it for yourself, and perhaps even win one
                  (that was a secret...till now)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 06-29-2012, 01:06 PM.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...