• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blake
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2013

Speed bag reccomendations?

Hey guys im a rookie with this speed bag stuff. Ive been hitting the speed bag for a little over a month and i love it!!! Unfortunately my cheap speed bag popped, so i would like to buy a new one but am unsure on what to buy. Ive been hitting a large everlast 7X11. I would like to get a nice leather speed bag but uncertain on size. I want to keep improving, should i buy a medium bag or would that be to difficult for me and stick to a large. please give me some recommended suggestions and the bags dimensions. Also if you could give me some name brand speed bags that are good for the price. Thanks
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Blake View Post
    Hey guys im a rookie with this speed bag stuff. Ive been hitting the speed bag for a little over a month and i love it!!! Unfortunately my cheap speed bag popped, so i would like to buy a new one but am unsure on what to buy. Ive been hitting a large everlast 7X11. I would like to get a nice leather speed bag but uncertain on size. I want to keep improving, should i buy a medium bag or would that be to difficult for me and stick to a large. please give me some recommended suggestions and the bags dimensions. Also if you could give me some name brand speed bags that are good for the price. Thanks
    I think you should move to a nice 9x6.... that is my favorite size. It big enough so you know you're hitting something and you can really get it moving too!

Ralph is a member here and has these great NOS Ringside bags made of beautiful leather that is easy on the hands. Check it out:

Title also has some nice bags at a reasonable price...the thing is, as you get addicted, you'll own a WHOLE BUNCH of different bags. Some of the bigger ones are great for a good workout....and the smaller ones for speed.

One bag is never enough!

Welcome to the forum...look through the videos and you'll see pretty much every bag on the market in action.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Jollygood49
      • Jan 2013

Hey Blake, welcome to the forum. I too am new to speed bagging, having only started about three weeks ago. I started out with the vinyl Everlast bag and it was destroyed in a week. I wrote them and they sent a new one which met the same fate in less time. I was unsure of which size bag would suit a beginner so I actually purchased two. First I bought the Title Classic 8x5 found here: http://store.titleboxing.com/title-c...peed-bags.html. I like this bag a lot due to it's quick rebounds. When I work out I typically take 1-2 minutes rest periods between sets and this is the bag I wail on then. The fast rebounds keep my heart rate up and allows me to get some cardio in my weight lifting routines, also the small size seems to have quickened my hands and reflexes. Second I bought the Title 10x7 http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html which I also really like. The benefit to this slightly larger bag is it is much easier to learn combinations on due to the slower rebounds. I also find that it's much easier to learn elbow strikes because it hangs lower and it just seems easier to get the elbow up to that height faster. Besides the slower speed I also like this larger, and much heavier bag because it takes a stronger punching force and I can wail on it a little harder and still keep up speed wise. If you were only going to buy one bag I would maybe go with the 10x7 for the sake of learning, otherwise maybe split the difference with a 9x6? I hope this helps and gives you some direction in choosing a new bag from a fellow beginner.

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

I started bagging again in December after a 27 year layoff. I would say don't waste your time on anything over a 9x6. You will out grow anything larger very fast and then it will just sit there not being used. Also don't be afraid to spend a little more on a quality bag, they will make learning a lot more enjoyable. But probably the best one to learn on and not too much money is NOS Ringside 9x6. Not too fast not too slow.

fedora

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Hmmm, I do change out my other bags pretty regularly, but the 11x7 just doesn't see much action. Going back to that large of a bag seemed like a waste of time, but maybe I'll hang it up for some hits to see how I can adjust. Always things to think about.

fedora

Comment

• florian 380
            • Nov 2012

It's always good to have a big bag . Good work out for the shoulders !!!!

Comment

• Blake
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2013

Hey guys thanks alot!! all this information was very helpfull, I think im going to start looking in to the 9X6 bags. It seems like it is always a nice bag to hit and right in the middle for the best of both worlds. I appreciate all the help and hope to learn much more.

Comment

• doss darwin
                • Dec 2012

bags

the NOS ringside bags from Ralph are the way to go when starting out--the quality is good, the price is as good as you will find (mine was 35$ with shipping), Ralph gets right back to you and ships as soon as you pay--if i didn't like the 9x6 i have so much i would buy Ralph's (actually that will be the next bag i buy)--there is an extended thread on the forum about these bags that i did not see one post that was negative on any of these points--cheers dd
                the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

Comment

• florian 380
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by doss darwin View Post
                  the NOS ringside bags from Ralph are the way to go when starting out--the quality is good, the price is as good as you will find (mine was 35$ with shipping), Ralph gets right back to you and ships as soon as you pay--if i didn't like the 9x6 i have so much i would buy Ralph's (actually that will be the next bag i buy)--there is an extended thread on the forum about these bags that i did not see one post that was negative on any of these points--cheers dd
                  The Bags and the service from ralph are great !!!! I LOVE MY RINGSIDE BAGS
                  YOU BETTER BUY 2 OF EVERY KIND AS LONG AS THEY'RE AVAILABLE

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by florian 380 View Post
                    The Bags and the service from ralph are great !!!! I LOVE MY RINGSIDE BAGS
                    YOU BETTER BUY 2 OF EVERY KIND AS LONG AS THEY'RE AVAILABLE
                    Agreed. I like them all. His largest size bag is light and a pleasure to hit, it sees action here every week. Would start with something smaller, though, as others have pointed out.

Comment

• florian 380
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                      agreed. I like them all. His largest size bag is light and a pleasure to hit, it sees action here every week. Would start with something smaller, though, as others have pointed out.
                      all sizes are cool !!!! Great leather - great feeling - great performance
                      they make so much fun every single one
                      i realy like the medium fat one - cool bag !!!!

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

Definitely. I have the NOS 6x9 and the large bag , which they called their "jumbo" at the time. Actually they were their "new" stock back then, as I bought them back in the late 1980's.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...